Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Genie garage remote and how to unlock door

I have a new place and no instructions for the Genie garage door
opener. Here's my problem. If the power goes out, I have no entrance
to my garage and can't get my car out. There is a small round lock
right now on the door and it connects to a cable that will pull Red
cord and disable the door from the unit.

However, I can't figure out how this works. I can turn the key about
180 degrees and then it stops rotating. My assumption is that I would
have to turn the key round and round until the cable pulls the cord.
Is that right? If that is the case, is there a special way to turn
the key, pushing it in or pulling it out or something?

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 6:40*pm, bq340 wrote:
Znott wrote:
I have a new place and no instructions for the Genie garage door
opener. *Here's my problem. *If the power goes out, I have no entrance
to my garage and can't get my car out. *There is a small round lock
right now on the door and it connects to a cable that will pull Red
cord and disable the door from the unit. *

However, I can't figure out how this works. *I can turn the key about
180 degrees and then it stops rotating. *My assumption is that I would
have to turn the key round and round until the cable pulls the cord.
Is that right? *If that is the case, is there a special way to turn
the key, pushing it in or pulling it out or something?

TIA

Turn the key to unlock it, then pull it (the key & cylinder) straight
out. The cable will come out the hole.

MikeB

Once you are locked out your home wont let you in., sleep outside!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Znott wrote:
I have a new place and no instructions for the Genie garage door
opener. Here's my problem. If the power goes out, I have no entrance
to my garage and can't get my car out. There is a small round lock
right now on the door and it connects to a cable that will pull Red
cord and disable the door from the unit.

However, I can't figure out how this works. I can turn the key about
180 degrees and then it stops rotating. My assumption is that I would
have to turn the key round and round until the cable pulls the cord.
Is that right? If that is the case, is there a special way to turn
the key, pushing it in or pulling it out or something?

TIA

Hi,
What you described sounds like a manual door lock. You can lock/unlock
the door with the key. If you use an electric door opener, you usually
leave that unlocked. Imagine you try to open the door when it is locked.
It can cause a big damage. I have side and back entry doors for my
garage. If power fails, you can easily lift the door if you are inside
by unlatching the door from drive chain(or screw, belt, etc.). But if
you are outside, you are out of luck. I guess you have to enter the
garage through house. Also one tip to prolong the life of door springs.
Rub them with oil(something like 10W/30) soaked rag lightly to lessen
the chance of spring breakage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24 2007, 7:40*pm, bq340 wrote:
Znott wrote:
I have a new place and no instructions for the Genie garage door
opener. *Here's my problem. *If the power goes out, I have no entrance
to my garage and can't get my car out. *There is a small round lock
right now on the door and it connects to a cable that will pull Red
cord and disable the door from the unit. *

However, I can't figure out how this works. *I can turn the key about
180 degrees and then it stops rotating. *My assumption is that I would
have to turn the key round and round until the cable pulls the cord.
Is that right? *If that is the case, is there a special way to turn
the key, pushing it in or pulling it out or something?

TIA

Turn the key to unlock it, then pull it (the key & cylinder) straight
out. The cable will come out the hole.

MikeB

Never heard of that type of set-up before. Sounds interesting, except
for the need to carry around (or hide) a key for the very, very rare
cases where I would need to open the opener-controlled door from the
outside during a power failure. I assume this is only required for a
garage where the only way in is through the opener-controlled door.
Otherwise, why wouldn't I use another entrance and pull the cable from
the inside?

Posted to alt.home.repair

They're an optional add on for vault type garages and storage units that
have no other entry point.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...infgar61i.html

http://www.aaaremotes.com/emrelkit.html

There's no use for them on standard home garages where's there's another
door into the garage.