Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Curtain rail sticking

Hi,
I've just fitted a new curtain rail and the damn things sticks. i.e.
I can't pull the curtains across since it jams.

It a plastic cordless monorail system for lightweight curtains (the
gliders hook over the top and bottom of the rail). What seems to be
happening is that the gliders are twisting instead of gliding which
causes the jam.

The rail is straight and horizontal. It's strange since I haven't had
trouble with these before.

Apart from replacing the whole rail is there a simple/easy solution to
this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 12:30, Mark wrote:
Hi,
I've just fitted a new curtain rail and the damn things sticks. *i.e.
I can't pull the curtains across since it jams.

It a plastic cordless monorail system for lightweight curtains (the
gliders hook over the top and bottom of the rail). *What seems to be
happening is that the gliders are twisting instead of gliding which
causes the jam.

The rail is straight and horizontal. *It's strange since I haven't had
trouble with these before.

Apart from replacing the whole rail is there a simple/easy solution to
this?

Try using some silicone polish on it. A rail I bought came with a
little sachet of it, and before application the curtains wouldn't
close, rather like yours, and after - no problems.

JohnW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 12:30, Mark wrote:
Hi,
I've just fitted a new curtain rail and the damn things sticks. *i.e.
I can't pull the curtains across since it jams.

It a plastic cordless monorail system for lightweight curtains (the
gliders hook over the top and bottom of the rail). *What seems to be
happening is that the gliders are twisting instead of gliding which
causes the jam.

The rail is straight and horizontal. *It's strange since I haven't had
trouble with these before.

Apart from replacing the whole rail is there a simple/easy solution to
this?

Spray the track with furniture polish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Hi,
I've just fitted a new curtain rail and the damn things sticks. i.e.
I can't pull the curtains across since it jams.

It a plastic cordless monorail system for lightweight curtains (the
gliders hook over the top and bottom of the rail). What seems to be
happening is that the gliders are twisting instead of gliding which
causes the jam.

The rail is straight and horizontal. It's strange since I haven't had
trouble with these before.

Apart from replacing the whole rail is there a simple/easy solution to
this?

Silicone spray. Also sold as cockpit spray for shining up plastic trim in
cars.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi,
I've just fitted a new curtain rail and the damn things sticks. i.e.
I can't pull the curtains across since it jams.

It a plastic cordless monorail system for lightweight curtains (the
gliders hook over the top and bottom of the rail). What seems to be
happening is that the gliders are twisting instead of gliding which
causes the jam.

The rail is straight and horizontal. It's strange since I haven't had
trouble with these before.

Apart from replacing the whole rail is there a simple/easy solution to
this?

Candle wax. Rub a candle along the track.
Others have said silicon spray as well

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Silicone spray. Also sold as cockpit spray for shining up plastic trim in
cars.

Is it just me that is absolutely furious when a car has been
spruced up at a dealers, and they have given the steering wheel
the silicone treatment?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 04:43:54 -0700 (PDT), Lino expert wrote:

Spray the track with furniture polish.

Well it's probably better to spray a little onto a cloth or bit of kitchen
roll and rub that along the surfaces of the the track where the hooks run.
Less chance of getting overspray on the wall paper etc and you don't need
a great deal of the stuff anyway.

Candle wax may work but that is normally used as lubricant on wooden
drawer runners rather than plastic curtain tracks. A little silicone based
furniture polish also dries and doesn't remain sticky to attract dust
either.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 13:23:33 GMT, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Is it just me that is absolutely furious when a car has been spruced up
at a dealers, and they have given the steering wheel the silicone
treatment?

I hate it when anyone uses silicone type polishes on anything. It's
terrible stuff as a "polish", it builds up over time, then starts to flake
off or discolour. The only time a I use a silcone polish is for
lubricating plastic curtain tracks...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Mark wrote:
Hi,
I've just fitted a new curtain rail and the damn things sticks. i.e.
I can't pull the curtains across since it jams.

It a plastic cordless monorail system for lightweight curtains (the
gliders hook over the top and bottom of the rail). What seems to be
happening is that the gliders are twisting instead of gliding which
causes the jam.

The rail is straight and horizontal. It's strange since I haven't had
trouble with these before.

Apart from replacing the whole rail is there a simple/easy solution to
this?

Silicone spray. Also sold as cockpit spray for shining up plastic trim in
cars.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Indeed. Silicone spray from the electrical wholesalers is cheaper than
cockpit spray and works well on my vans dashboard.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mark i@dontget
lotsofspamanymore.net writes

Apart from replacing the whole rail is there a simple/easy solution to
this?

Spray the rail with a silicone furniture polish, such as Mr Sheen. Run
curtains back and forth a few times, they'll be much improved.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris J Dixon
writes

Is it just me that is absolutely furious when a car has been
spruced up at a dealers, and they have given the steering wheel
the silicone treatment?

Mo, you're not alone.

The cure is baby wipes - if they'll get the whatsit off a baby's arse,
they'll clean yer wheel a treat.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
(")_(") http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon expressed precisely :
Is it just me that is absolutely furious when a car has been
spruced up at a dealers, and they have given the steering wheel
the silicone treatment?

You are not alone on that, they also tend to do the inside of the
windscreen with the spray.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Hi,
I've just fitted a new curtain rail and the damn things sticks. i.e. I
can't pull the curtains across since it jams.

It a plastic cordless monorail system for lightweight curtains (the
gliders hook over the top and bottom of the rail). What seems to be
happening is that the gliders are twisting instead of gliding which
causes the jam.

The rail is straight and horizontal. It's strange since I haven't
had trouble with these before.

Apart from replacing the whole rail is there a simple/easy solution
to this?

Silicone spray. Also sold as cockpit spray for shining up plastic
trim in cars.

Indeed. Silicone spray from the electrical wholesalers is cheaper than
cockpit spray and works well on my vans dashboard.

What do leckies use it for then? I buy mine from a plumbing outlet - push
fit pan connectors etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
[...]

Pulling cables through conduit.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mark wrote:
[...]

Also extensively used in the textile industry to help fabrics and yarns
glide through the machinery.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Chris J Dixon
writes

Is it just me that is absolutely furious when a car has been
spruced up at a dealers, and they have given the steering wheel
the silicone treatment?

Mo, you're not alone.

The cure is baby wipes - if they'll get the whatsit off a baby's arse,
they'll clean yer wheel a treat.

Any sensible car valeter would avoid the wheel, but 'sensible car valeter'
is an oxymoron IME. Glass cleaner (not the Windowlene type) gets it off a
treat.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spray the rail with a silicone furniture polish, such as Mr Sheen. Run
curtains back and forth a few times, they'll be much improved.

WD40 on a bit of cloth works fine too; repeat every few months
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 22:22, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Any sensible car valeter would avoid the wheel, but 'sensible car valeter'
is an oxymoron IME. *

Last time I had a car valeted (for free, what do you take me for?) was
when I bought my Range Rover from someone who'd kept an entire pack of
chain-smoking beagles in it during the moulting season.

Whatever the valet guy used was powerful stuff and removed all trace
of both dog (not too bad) and fag (bad). He swore by this stuff and
claimed to use it on all particularly difficult cases. By the way he
crawled wheezing and gasping out of the door after using it, I think
he was probably right. No way I was ever going to use the stuff
though. Phos-clene? VX220? Lewi-****e?

Never had cockroaches in the Rangie afterwards either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 15:12:59 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. com...
Mark wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all. I'll get some silicone spray next time I'm near the
shops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 12:30:13 PM UTC+1, Mark wrote:
Hi,
I've just fitted a new curtain rail and the damn things sticks. i.e.
I can't pull the curtains across since it jams.

It a plastic cordless monorail system for lightweight curtains (the
gliders hook over the top and bottom of the rail). What seems to be
happening is that the gliders are twisting instead of gliding which
causes the jam.

The rail is straight and horizontal. It's strange since I haven't had
trouble with these before.

Apart from replacing the whole rail is there a simple/easy solution to
this?

Use some silicone spray from Halfords. It has a little straw that you can guide into the rail, then your curtains will whoosh around, even bay windows

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg explained on 24/11/2016 :
+1 Silicone spray is by far the best solution for curtain tracks that
are dragging .

Or silicon based spray furniture polish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 November 2016 13:45:11 UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 12:30:13 PM UTC+1, Mark wrote:
Hi,
I've just fitted a new curtain rail and the damn things sticks. i.e.
I can't pull the curtains across since it jams.

It a plastic cordless monorail system for lightweight curtains (the
gliders hook over the top and bottom of the rail). What seems to be
happening is that the gliders are twisting instead of gliding which
causes the jam.

The rail is straight and horizontal. It's strange since I haven't had
trouble with these before.

Apart from replacing the whole rail is there a simple/easy solution to
this?

Use some silicone spray from Halfords. It has a little straw that you can guide into the rail, then your curtains will whoosh around, even bay windows

I'm sure he's waited the 7 years for your advice. Looks like you need a sensible newsgroup client or portal.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Caz Caz is offline

Clean the curtain track thoroughly then apply Vaseline.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ng-560714-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2020 15:45, Caz wrote:
Clean the curtain track thoroughly then apply Vaseline.

Hell no, it will rapidly collect dust and dirt. Wipe with a rag soaked
in silicone spray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote in
o.uk:

On 23/10/2020 15:45, Caz wrote:
Clean the curtain track thoroughly then apply Vaseline.

Hell no, it will rapidly collect dust and dirt. Wipe with a rag soaked
in silicone spray.

+1

And try to wash the runners. Mr Sheen is better than nothing.Definatly not
Vaseline - it will work ok and then get worse than ever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 15:50:00 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 23/10/2020 15:45, Caz wrote:
Clean the curtain track thoroughly then apply Vaseline.

Hell no, it will rapidly collect dust and dirt. Wipe with a rag soaked
in silicone spray.

This works exceptionally well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/10/2020 15:50, newshound wrote:
On 23/10/2020 15:45, Caz wrote:
Clean the curtain track thoroughly then apply Vaseline.

Hell no, it will rapidly collect dust and dirt. Wipe with a rag soaked
in silicone spray.

That's where I went wrong. I just sprayed the rail with silicone spray,
then skidded on the floor and went over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2020 15:45, Caz wrote:
Clean the curtain track thoroughly then apply Vaseline.

Would that'trick' work for 11 years?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends what its made of, Sometimes the plastic ones generate static and the
muck just flies onto it. There is an anti static polish which used to be
good but as with everything if you live in a dusty world it will still
stick. Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...

Hinged Curtain Rail robgraham UK diy 14 November 30th 07 02:17 AM
Curtain rail lubricant Richard Tobin UK diy 37 December 8th 06 12:16 AM
Curtain rail installtion Mark UK diy 7 March 8th 06 11:03 PM
Curtain Rail Q mutley UK diy 4 December 24th 05 09:48 AM
Curtain rail loose in one hole.. what do I do ? Paul UK diy 5 March 26th 04 12:21 PM