Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hinged Curtain Rail

One of my bedroom windows is in a 18 inch square sided recess - the
house wall are 30 inches plus thick.

We've tried a curtain pole on the room wall but we never really liked
it and have been keeping our eyes open for an alternative. While in
Germany this year, an old hotel had solved the similar problem with a
pair of ~8mm dia. stainless steel rods each a bit over half the window
in length. Each rod carried a curtain and was mounted on a simple
pivot at the side of the top of the window such that the curtains
could be rotated to be over the the window or hinged back against the
recess.

Does that description make sense ? How difficult it is to describe
something in words ! Anyone seen anything similar for sale anywhere ?

Thanks

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 02:52:32 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

One of my bedroom windows is in a 18 inch square sided recess - the
house wall are 30 inches plus thick.

We've tried a curtain pole on the room wall but we never really liked
it and have been keeping our eyes open for an alternative. While in
Germany this year, an old hotel had solved the similar problem with a
pair of ~8mm dia. stainless steel rods each a bit over half the window
in length. Each rod carried a curtain and was mounted on a simple
pivot at the side of the top of the window such that the curtains
could be rotated to be over the the window or hinged back against the
recess.

Does that description make sense ? How difficult it is to describe
something in words ! Anyone seen anything similar for sale anywhere ?

At one time you could get towel rails like that, but with multiple
'rods'.
If they're still available, you could perhaps modify a couple.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Nov, 10:52, robgraham wrote:
One of my bedroom windows is in a 18 inch square sided recess - the
house wall are 30 inches plus thick.

We've tried a curtain pole on the room wall but we never really liked
it and have been keeping our eyes open for an alternative. While in
Germany this year, an old hotel had solved the similar problem with a
pair of ~8mm dia. stainless steel rods each a bit over half the window
in length. Each rod carried a curtain and was mounted on a simple
pivot at the side of the top of the window such that the curtains
could be rotated to be over the the window or hinged back against the
recess.

Does that description make sense ? How difficult it is to describe
something in words ! Anyone seen anything similar for sale anywhere ?

Thanks

Rob

We got a local blacksmith to make one for us.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Nov, 11:27, Jonathan wrote:
[...]

Hmm - yes - and how many of them are there nowadays. But it is an
idea worth considering if I could find such a creature.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

We used to have them over the doors when rooms led straight onto the street.
Curtains kept out the draught but had to be moved to open the door. I'd have
thought they'd be obtainable still, from an ironmonger/hardware store.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm - yes - and how many of them are there nowadays. But it is an
idea worth considering if I could find such a creature.

Rob

Have a look if there's a UK metalworking group on usenet. There's one
in US but I don't know about UK. If you can find one, a member would
almost certainly be able to make something.
Failing that, try a local small machine shop. The only one I know of
is in Wales unfortunately.

Of course, you could always make a wooden version.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Nov, 12:20, robgraham wrote:
[...]

Where do you live. I know of two fairly near to where I live in south
Warwickshire.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

Thanks

Rob

We got a local blacksmith to make one for us.

Hmm - yes - and how many of them are there nowadays. But it is an
idea worth considering if I could find such a creature.

Rob

Where do you live. I know of two fairly near to where I live in south
Warwickshire.

Jonathan

It is called a "Drapery Rod"

http://www.tracksandpoles.com/rod_dormer1.shtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Nov, 15:18, "John" wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message

[...]

Give that man a pint ! Well done. Much appreciated. We all have
little bits of information tucked away that qualify us as an anorak !
Really don't know why you would have this bit !!

Cheers and thanks

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Nov, 15:18, "John" wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message

[...]

Once you get a starter for 10 then you can go all the way. I'm not
finding a UK supplier but the US go in for them in a big way. This is
the sort of thing :-

http://campbellironworks.com/cranes.html

The price worries me a bit but I've emailed a local blacksmith to see
if he is interested and as long as he doesn't see the price, then I've
got something to show him!!

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
On 28 Nov, 15:18, "John" wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message

[...]

I was looking for a solution once - and ended up being put off by the price.

Will get my anorak back on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , john.plant90
@ntlworld.com says...
It is called a "Drapery Rod"

http://www.tracksandpoles.com/rod_dormer1.shtml

Grief - HOW MUCH! I'm glad I make so much stuff myself.
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Skipweasel wrote:
In article , john.plant90
@ntlworld.com says...
It is called a "Drapery Rod"

http://www.tracksandpoles.com/rod_dormer1.shtml

Grief - HOW MUCH! I'm glad I make so much stuff myself.

Top one looks suspiciously like a bent piece of rebar painted black.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
k...
Skipweasel wrote:
In article , john.plant90
@ntlworld.com says...
It is called a "Drapery Rod"

http://www.tracksandpoles.com/rod_dormer1.shtml

Grief - HOW MUCH! I'm glad I make so much stuff myself.

Top one looks suspiciously like a bent piece of rebar painted black.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

There's a business opportunity then!

We get used to the low costs due to mass production. For small markets the
prices are very different. Just go into a good garden centre and see the
expensive useless crap they sell amongst the fancy goods.

Shower curtain rail rusting F UK diy 8 October 25th 07 01:52 PM
plastic curtain rail problem KD UK diy 6 March 13th 07 06:49 AM
Curtain rail lubricant Richard Tobin UK diy 37 December 8th 06 12:16 AM
Curtain rail installtion Mark UK diy 7 March 8th 06 11:03 PM
Curtain Rail Q mutley UK diy 4 December 24th 05 09:48 AM