Posted to uk.d-i-y
mutley

Default Curtain Rail Q

Does curtain rail exist which can be bent into a curve -- for a bay window?
I need something capable of taking heavy curtains and the sturdy plastic
type I have found won't bend enough to adapt to the curve. I'd prefer not to
use traditional brass rail.

--
Any help TIA
Please reply to Newsgroup

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Does curtain rail exist which can be bent into a curve -- for a bay
window?
I need something capable of taking heavy curtains and the sturdy plastic
type I have found won't bend enough to adapt to the curve. I'd prefer not

use traditional brass rail.

Yes, although proprietary systems can be expensive. A DIY solution is to put
a standard 3m copper pipe as used for plumbing through a pipe bender. You
can paint this any colour you like and use carefully chosen finials and
brackets for finishing.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al, Cambridge, UK

Assuming you don't mean a shiny brass traditional curtain rod...
I've bent plastic ("Swish" brand) curtain rail quite easily for several
bay windows, by heating with a hot-air gun.
Do it on the floor to keep it from bending up&downwards, and use the
old rail or make a cardboard template to get the curve right.
And don't go mad with the heat - you just want it soft enough for the
outside surface of the extruded rail to stretch gently, without the
channels themselves collapsing.
I also bought extra fixing posts to support the rail more solidly.

2nd year stuff: if it's a very long rail, you may need more than one
length of plastic rail. Remember that the join doesn't necessarily have
to be in the middle, you may be able to add extra bits to either end to
hide the join within the bunched-up curtain when open.

Hope that helps, Al.

mutley wrote:
Does curtain rail exist which can be bent into a curve -- for a bay window?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mutley

Thanks to all for the replies. The heatgun approach seems best for me as I
have lots of redundant 2-channel Swish-type rail and the fittings for it.
regards,
mutley
"Al, Cambridge, UK" wrote in message
Assuming you don't mean a shiny brass traditional curtain rod...
I've bent plastic ("Swish" brand) curtain rail quite easily for several
bay windows, by heating with a hot-air gun.

[snip]

Finding replacement curtain rail fixings [email protected] UK diy 3 July 8th 05 12:03 AM
Curtain rail loose in one hole.. what do I do ? Paul UK diy 5 March 26th 04 12:21 PM
Shower Curtain rail for Corner Bath.. Please help. Rune Langtind UK diy 7 March 2nd 04 10:02 AM
strange shaped shower rail NC UK diy 2 July 31st 03 12:33 PM
Removing a hydronic towel heater rail help? Bob Mannix UK diy 1 July 10th 03 03:01 PM