Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Road signs

"Tim Downie" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

I've seen those used on temporary signs but the symbols refered to often
appear on permanent signs. Of course they could be used for common
diversions but I've never seen a temporary sign saying "Follow black
triangles" or similar.

I've ofter wondered if the permanent ones are used by the MOD.

No, they're used for frequent diversion routes, say between a couple of M-
way jns or to avoid an often-hit bridge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message et
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Circular signs give mandatory instructions, speed limit, keep left/right
etc.

That's what they say but what does the small round sign with a walking
figure within require whom to do what?

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from Jules contains these words:

I think you can still legally drive a tank on UK roads without any kind of
permits or paperwork...

You need a licence that covers vehicles steered by its tracks. That's a
pretty rare form of permit.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk contains these words:

When the driving test theory test was introduced, one of the national
newspapers commissioned a poll of drivers. IIRC, the least recognised signs
was the minimum sped limit, but the priority signs you mention were not far
behind.

I don't think I have ever seen a minimum speed limit sign. Are there any
at all in the UK?

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:34:00 UTC, Dave wrote:

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Do you mean on the bigger 'route' signs? And usually in yellow?

They tend to be 'follow this shape if you want to get to X' and there's
usually a preceding sign somewhere.

No. Looking at the signs on the M61 and A6 junctions, they look like
they are pointing to hoispitals etc

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they are
solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

Nice try, but they are only about 5 inches in size.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:25:39 UTC, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
mark wrote:

"Dave" wrote:
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.
Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct
I suspect you should have read more of the question before answering,
anyway I though triangle was for information and circle was an order.

It is obvious neither of you have read the DoT publication 'Know your
traffic signs'. Circles give orders, triangles warn and rectangles inform,.

We're not talking normal traffic signs here. Or do you realise that?
it's unclear.

This is the small (probably 20cm across) solid coloured emblems on the
large rectangular direction signs.

Glad some one is up to speed on this. :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk contains these words:

When the driving test theory test was introduced, one of the national
newspapers commissioned a poll of drivers. IIRC, the least recognised
signs
was the minimum sped limit, but the priority signs you mention were not
far
behind.

I don't think I have ever seen a minimum speed limit sign. Are there any
at all in the UK?

The only place I've seen them used is at the entrance to a tunnel.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:31:51 UTC, Dave wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:34:00 UTC, Dave wrote:

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Do you mean on the bigger 'route' signs? And usually in yellow?

They tend to be 'follow this shape if you want to get to X' and there's
usually a preceding sign somewhere.

No. Looking at the signs on the M61 and A6 junctions, they look like
they are pointing to hoispitals etc

That's OK. Hospital == X

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:29:16 UTC, Roger
wrote:

The message
from "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk contains these words:

When the driving test theory test was introduced, one of the national
newspapers commissioned a poll of drivers. IIRC, the least recognised signs
was the minimum sped limit, but the priority signs you mention were not far
behind.

I don't think I have ever seen a minimum speed limit sign. Are there any
at all in the UK?

Lots of places. The Dartford tunnel comes to mind (well, it used to have
them...)

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the
emergency services, but I can't understand what is what.

Don't know, but soon we will have 20 mph signs all over the place. Next it
will be a man with a red flag walking in front of the vehicle.

Disn't we have that some years ago?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:55:18 +0100, clumsy ******* wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:

Actually I find my wife's car worse (a mk1 Nissan Almera), the rear
suspension gives quite a jolt unless you slow to walking pace for each
hump.

switch to a gaz guzzling SUV and you will be fine.

I think you can still legally drive a tank on UK roads without any kind of
permits or paperwork...

I wish :-))

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger
writes
The message
from "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk contains these words:

When the driving test theory test was introduced, one of the national
newspapers commissioned a poll of drivers. IIRC, the least recognised signs
was the minimum sped limit, but the priority signs you mention were not far
behind.

I don't think I have ever seen a minimum speed limit sign. Are there any
at all in the UK?

I'm certain I have seen one, but I can't remember where now
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Don't know, but soon we will have 20 mph signs all over the place.

That's effectively the speed that humps allow. Wonder if they'll get rid
of them?

Humps are cheaper than cameras.

Humps will go if they install road pricing GPS units in cars.. then they
can fine you for exceeding the speed limit on the fly, or maybe even
disable the vehicle on the grounds that its being driven by an idiot or
is stolen if you start clocking up (say) £10 per 100 meters per mph over
limit fines.

Wouldn't it be easier to blank off the aerial?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

I'll ask this again
Can anyone explain why some LARGE road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:57:47 UTC, Dave wrote:

Dave wrote:

I'll ask this again
Can anyone explain why some LARGE road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Bottom of second page he

http://tinyurl.com/chzraf

but I'm not sure if you mean those, or the plain yellow shapes I've seen
in the past.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:29:16 +0100, Roger
had this to say:

The message
from "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk contains these words:

When the driving test theory test was introduced, one of the national
newspapers commissioned a poll of drivers. IIRC, the least recognised signs
was the minimum sped limit, but the priority signs you mention were not far
behind.

I don't think I have ever seen a minimum speed limit sign. Are there any
at all in the UK?

I saw one quite a few years ago on an urban motorway somewhere.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Don't know, but soon we will have 20 mph signs all over the place.

That's effectively the speed that humps allow. Wonder if they'll get rid
of them?

Humps are cheaper than cameras.

Humps will go if they install road pricing GPS units in cars.. then they
can fine you for exceeding the speed limit on the fly, or maybe even
disable the vehicle on the grounds that its being driven by an idiot or
is stolen if you start clocking up (say) £10 per 100 meters per mph over
limit fines.

Wouldn't it be easier to blank off the aerial?

You just download the logs and fine anyone that doesn't have a reasonable
explanation for the missing data.
You could even use the aerial to transmit data like the reg number and then
you would be caught as soon as you passed a number plate camera for being a
car without the required equipment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , clumsy *******
writes
Andy Burns wrote:

and circle was an order.

but but, speed limits are suggestions!

Cue dennis the menace ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"clumsy *******" wrote in message
.. .
Andy Burns wrote:

and circle was an order.

but but, speed limits are suggestions!

No they aren't.
Speed limits on motorway warning signs are suggestions.
The round signs (red, white and black) specify a maximum speed that
you are allowed to go if it is safe to do so and your vehicle doesn't
have a lower limit.

All speed limits are advisory dennis

as long as you have your wits about you

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"dennis@home" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square
and circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and
sometimes they are solid colour. I would imagine that they are
there for the emergency services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

He is on about the diversion symbols that have been in use for about
the last decade.

Decade? I believe they were introduced for holiday routes in the
1970's (mainly to the south west) and then spread.

Mind you I was driving from 1972 (

You will probably notice that the ones that don't know what all the new
signs and road markings mean are the ones that think they know how to
drive.

Do you think you know how to drive dennis ?

Large numbers have no clue as to what the green boxes at traffic lights
are for AFAICS.

Even more have no idea what the lane lines at junctions indicate as can
be seen from the numbers being in the wrong lanes at islands, etc.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , clumsy *******
writes
"dennis@home" wrote:

It makes me think that compulsory annual(ish) theory tests to keep your
license might be a good idea.

when I look at the driving of experienced drivers who never had a
driving lesson or a written test and the driving of young men, I
compute that knowledge of the outline shape of signs etc isn't really
the issue.

Did you miss the fact that dennis is obsessed with rules?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:28:34 +0100, Roger wrote:

That's what they say but what does the small round sign with a walking
figure within require whom to do what?

No Pedestrians or possibly more correctly Pedestrians Prohibited.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:45:18 +0100, Dave
had this to say:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the
emergency services, but I can't understand what is what.

Don't know, but soon we will have 20 mph signs all over the place. Next it
will be a man with a red flag walking in front of the vehicle.

Disn't we have that some years ago?

_You_ might've done, but it was a bit before my time :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"clumsy *******" wrote in message
. ..
Andy Burns wrote:

and circle was an order.

but but, speed limits are suggestions!

No they aren't.
Speed limits on motorway warning signs are suggestions.
The round signs (red, white and black) specify a maximum speed that you
are allowed to go if it is safe to do so and your vehicle doesn't have a
lower limit.

All speed limits are advisory dennis

no they aren't.

as long as you have your wits about you

You never have your wits about you so you should be stationary at all times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger
writes
The message
from "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk contains these words:

When the driving test theory test was introduced, one of the national
newspapers commissioned a poll of drivers. IIRC, the least recognised signs
was the minimum sped limit, but the priority signs you mention were not far
behind.

I don't think I have ever seen a minimum speed limit sign. Are there any
at all in the UK?

There's one firmly attached to the back of dennis's car

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote in message

I think you can still legally drive a tank on UK roads without any kind of
permits or paperwork...

No
only if you have Category H on your licence, it's a separate test.
but no MOT and all things considered incredibly cheap insurance

I speck as a two tank owner

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"clumsy *******" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:

and circle was an order.

but but, speed limits are suggestions!

No they aren't.
Speed limits on motorway warning signs are suggestions.
The round signs (red, white and black) specify a maximum speed that
you are allowed to go if it is safe to do so and your vehicle doesn't
have a lower limit.

All speed limits are advisory dennis

no they aren't.

Yes they are - when I did 80 in a 30mph zone today, nobody stopped me

as long as you have your wits about you

You never have your wits about you so you should be stationary at all times.

Are you sure you're not drivel in disguise ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"clumsy *******" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:

and circle was an order.

but but, speed limits are suggestions!

No they aren't.
Speed limits on motorway warning signs are suggestions.
The round signs (red, white and black) specify a maximum speed
that you are allowed to go if it is safe to do so and your vehicle
doesn't have a lower limit.

All speed limits are advisory dennis

no they aren't.

So, oh wise one, whats the piggin difference between 'suggested' and
'advisory'?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Roger
writes
The message
from "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk contains these
words:
When the driving test theory test was introduced, one of the
national newspapers commissioned a poll of drivers. IIRC, the least
recognised signs was the minimum sped limit, but the priority signs
you mention were not far behind.

I don't think I have ever seen a minimum speed limit sign. Are there
any at all in the UK?

There's one firmly attached to the back of dennis's car

Brilliant, no wonder he can't see it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice"
saying something like:

However it still look like another good reason for compulsory testing
every 5 years.

Do **** off, there's a good chap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

Humps will go if they install road pricing GPS units in cars.. then they can
fine you for exceeding the speed limit on the fly, or maybe even disable the
vehicle on the grounds that its being driven by an idiot or is stolen if you
start clocking up (say) £10 per 100 meters per mph over limit fines.

While you watch from the bushes, masturbating furiously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

Humps will go if they install road pricing GPS units in cars.. then
they can fine you for exceeding the speed limit on the fly, or maybe
even disable the vehicle on the grounds that its being driven by an
idiot or is stolen if you start clocking up (say) £10 per 100 meters
per mph over limit fines.

While you watch from the bushes, masturbating furiously.

Do you mind? I almost woke the wife whilst laughing at that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:56:52 +0100 Clumsy ******* wrote :
pedestrians have to obey red man
signals on pain of a fine and you can wait a long time.

can you get fined?

Most of the time you wouldn't be caught but most people obey
nevertheless. They had a campaign before Christmas: IIRC the fine
is A$88, about £40.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
dennis@home wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"clumsy *******" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:

and circle was an order.

but but, speed limits are suggestions!

No they aren't.
Speed limits on motorway warning signs are suggestions.
The round signs (red, white and black) specify a maximum speed
that you are allowed to go if it is safe to do so and your vehicle
doesn't have a lower limit.

All speed limits are advisory dennis

no they aren't.

So, oh wise one, whats the piggin difference between 'suggested' and
'advisory'?

You do like to act the idiot don't you.
Read the damn posts and stop behaving like a childish idiot.
I will give you a clue.. what does "all" mean?
I may as well go back to ignoring you and treating you with contempt as you
are just too stupid to argue with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:56:52 +0100 Clumsy ******* wrote :
pedestrians have to obey red man
signals on pain of a fine and you can wait a long time.

can you get fined?

Most of the time you wouldn't be caught but most people obey
nevertheless. They had a campaign before Christmas: IIRC the fine
is A$88, about £40.

IIRC you can't be fined for ignoring the red man in the UK, but you can for
ignoring a duly authorised person telling you to wait. I assume they mean
policeman.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"clumsy *******" wrote in message
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

That's what they say but what does the small round sign with a walking
figure within require whom to do what?

No Pedestrians or possibly more correctly Pedestrians Prohibited.

that would be red/white/black with red slash across the pedestrian or
just a pedestrian in a red circle, if its blue I think its a
pedestrian route, so you must park and follow it on foot :-)

I might try that with the sign on All saints way, WB.
It has a bus and a cycle in blue circle, but the buses still drive past it
down the dual carriageway. ;-)
--
all thumbs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The message
from "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk contains these words:

When the driving test theory test was introduced, one of the national
newspapers commissioned a poll of drivers. IIRC, the least recognised signs
was the minimum sped limit, but the priority signs you mention were not far
behind.

I don't think I have ever seen a minimum speed limit sign. Are there any
at all in the UK?

IIRC there were some 20mph ones on a road that went right past the end
of a runway.

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:00:13 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Don't know, but soon we will have 20 mph signs all over the place.

That's effectively the speed that humps allow. Wonder if they'll get rid
of them?

I have to reduce to 5mph with humps in my camper. REALLY ****es other
motorists off. Almost as much as it ****es me off.

Try 50+ mph ;-)

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 10:19*am, Chris J Dixon wrote:
*I reckon the most misunderstood pair of signs are
"Oncoming vehicles have priority" and "You have priority over
oncoming vehicles", especially amongst workers deploying signs
around road works. *

Well since most drivers don't know the difference either, it doesn't
make much difference - you've got a 50/50 chance the idiot coming the
other way will stop even if you do have priority.

Unless it's a woman in a BMW/Merc, a bus or white van man. I just hit
the anchors anyway.