Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Road signs

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they are
solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...endition= Web

(via
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...ings/index.htm )

Diversion routes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Yellow ones?

Diversion routes. You'll often see signs "Diversion - follow shape"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...t/Highwaycode/
Signsandmarkings/index.htm

and click on "Direction Signs"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:34:00 UTC, Dave wrote:

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Do you mean on the bigger 'route' signs? And usually in yellow?

They tend to be 'follow this shape if you want to get to X' and there's
usually a preceding sign somewhere.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they are
solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
mark wrote:

"Dave" wrote:
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

I suspect you should have read more of the question before answering,
anyway I though triangle was for information and circle was an order.

It is obvious neither of you have read the DoT publication 'Know your
traffic signs'. Circles give orders, triangles warn and rectangles inform,.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Don't know, but soon we will have 20 mph signs all over the place.

That's effectively the speed that humps allow. Wonder if they'll get rid
of them?

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:25:39 UTC, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
mark wrote:

"Dave" wrote:
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

I suspect you should have read more of the question before answering,
anyway I though triangle was for information and circle was an order.

It is obvious neither of you have read the DoT publication 'Know your
traffic signs'. Circles give orders, triangles warn and rectangles inform,.

We're not talking normal traffic signs here. Or do you realise that?
it's unclear.

This is the small (probably 20cm across) solid coloured emblems on the
large rectangular direction signs.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:56:16 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Don't know, but soon we will have 20 mph signs all over the place.

That's effectively the speed that humps allow. Wonder if they'll get rid
of them?

I do hope so, then I won't have to worry about the sump on my kit-car!

Actually I find my wife's car worse (a mk1 Nissan Almera), the rear
suspension gives quite a jolt unless you slow to walking pace for each
hump.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:

It is obvious neither of you have read the DoT publication 'Know your
traffic signs'. Circles give orders, triangles warn and rectangles inform,.

There is, sadly, little understanding of these important
distinctions. I reckon the most misunderstood pair of signs are
"Oncoming vehicles have priority" and "You have priority over
oncoming vehicles", especially amongst workers deploying signs
around road works.

I have seen works protected by identical pairs of signs of either
the above types. On chatting with the men, they were convinced
that they had done it right, and showed me the comprehensive
printout showing them exactly what they had to do. Unfortunately,
they failed to appreciate how important it was to have
_precisely_ what the sheet showed, not merely something similar,
because that was all they had on their wagon.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:59:54 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

I suspect you should have read more of the question before answering,

I thought the OP was refering to the various small, generally luminous
orange ducks to mushroom clouds that are on some signs...

anyway I though triangle was for information and circle was an order.

Triangular signs are warnings.

Circular signs give mandatory instructions, speed limit, keep left/right
etc.

Rectangular signs give direction or other information.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

I suspect you should have read more of the question before answering,
anyway I though triangle was for information and circle was an order.

It is obvious neither of you have read the DoT publication 'Know your
traffic signs'. Circles give orders, triangles warn and rectangles
inform,.

Naaah you slaaaaaag, screws give orders, nonces and scum bags inform.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Don't know, but soon we will have 20 mph signs all over the place.

That's effectively the speed that humps allow. Wonder if they'll get rid
of them?

I have to reduce to 5mph with humps in my camper. REALLY ****es other
motorists off. Almost as much as it ****es me off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:04:09 GMT The Medway Handyman wrote :
Don't know, but soon we will have 20 mph signs all over the
place. Next it will be a man with a red flag walking in front
of the vehicle.

My flat here in Melbourne Docklands to IKEA is about 8km, 5
miles. Takes about 25-30 minutes. 20mph would be great. Walking
is a lot slower in the UK: pedestrians have to obey red man
signals on pain of a fine and you can wait a long time.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Next it
will be a man with a red flag walking in front of the vehicle.

But that was in the good old days. Now you'll have to fill in a risk
assessment form before your journey and the man with the flag will have to
have a hard hat with a flashing light on the top and wear a hi-vis jacket.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Clarke wrote:
Next it
will be a man with a red flag walking in front of the vehicle.

But that was in the good old days. Now you'll have to fill in a risk
assessment form before your journey and the man with the flag will have
to have a hard hat with a flashing light on the top and wear a hi-vis
jacket.

Or a man with a red flag walking in front of him. And so on...

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they are
solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

He is on about the diversion symbols that have been in use for about the
last decade.

It makes me think that compulsory annual(ish) theory tests to keep your
license might be a good idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Don't know, but soon we will have 20 mph signs all over the place.

That's effectively the speed that humps allow. Wonder if they'll get rid
of them?

Humps are cheaper than cameras.

Humps will go if they install road pricing GPS units in cars.. then they can
fine you for exceeding the speed limit on the fly, or maybe even disable the
vehicle on the grounds that its being driven by an idiot or is stolen if you
start clocking up (say) £10 per 100 meters per mph over limit fines.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

He is on about the diversion symbols that have been in use for about the
last decade.

Decade? I believe they were introduced for holiday routes in the 1970's
(mainly to the south west) and then spread.

Mind you I was driving from 1972 (

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
It makes me think that compulsory annual(ish) theory tests to keep your
license might be a good idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Don't know, but soon we will have 20 mph signs all over the place.

That's effectively the speed that humps allow. Wonder if they'll get rid
of them?

Humps are cheaper than cameras.

Humps will go if they install road pricing GPS units in cars.. then they
can fine you for exceeding the speed limit on the fly, or maybe even
disable the vehicle on the grounds that its being driven by an idiot or
is stolen if you start clocking up (say) £10 per 100 meters per mph over
limit fines.

wrap the units in tinfoil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

He is on about the diversion symbols that have been in use for about the
last decade.

Decade? I believe they were introduced for holiday routes in the 1970's
(mainly to the south west) and then spread.

Mind you I was driving from 1972 (

You will probably notice that the ones that don't know what all the new
signs and road markings mean are the ones that think they know how to drive.

Large numbers have no clue as to what the green boxes at traffic lights are
for AFAICS.

Even more have no idea what the lane lines at junctions indicate as can be
seen from the numbers being in the wrong lanes at islands, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Don't know, but soon we will have 20 mph signs all over the place.

That's effectively the speed that humps allow. Wonder if they'll get rid
of them?

Humps are cheaper than cameras.

Humps will go if they install road pricing GPS units in cars.. then they
can fine you for exceeding the speed limit on the fly, or maybe even
disable the vehicle on the grounds that its being driven by an idiot or
is stolen if you start clocking up (say) £10 per 100 meters per mph over
limit fines.

wrap the units in tinfoil.

Deactivates the car, generates an automatic fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Mike Clarke wrote:
Next it
will be a man with a red flag walking in front of the vehicle.

But that was in the good old days. Now you'll have to fill in a risk
assessment form before your journey and the man with the flag will have
to have a hard hat with a flashing light on the top and wear a hi-vis
jacket.

Or a man with a red flag walking in front of him. And so on...

Perhaps we'd better have one behind the vehicle as well, just to make sure
no idiot runs into the back of it.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:08:49 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Large numbers have no clue as to what the green boxes at traffic lights
are for AFAICS.

Green boxes? Yellow ones yes but not come across green, so I wouldn't have
clue. google ha they have pictogram of a cyclist so are self
explanatory, seen those but in white.

However it still look like another good reason for compulsory testing
every 5 years. If only to keep up with the law changes/additions, new
signage/road markings, etc.

It always strikes me as very odd, especially in these days with the Elfen
Safety lot in control, that I passed my driving test 31 years ago and can
continue to drive for another 21 odd years without any further
examination. Rather disappointed that the recently announced "reforms" in
speed limits and testing didn't include it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:53:39 UTC, clumsy *******
wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote:

It makes me think that compulsory annual(ish) theory tests to keep your
license might be a good idea.

when I look at the driving of experienced drivers who never had a
driving lesson or a written test and the driving of young men, I
compute that knowledge of the outline shape of signs etc isn't really
the issue.

It ISN'T the issue here....just that a lot of posters haven't read the
OP fully and think that that is what we are discussing. Outline shape of
road signs is not the subject of this thread!
http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:19:05 GMT, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I reckon the most misunderstood pair of signs are "Oncoming vehicles
have priority" and "You have priority over oncoming vehicles",

They just aren't clear I notice the googling around just now that proper
current use of them also includes an explanatory plate.

There is a narrow section of road near here with them and a give way line
in one dierction but I'm pretty certain the signage in both directions is
just the appropiate rectangular one without any explanatory plate. If I
read things correctly the side with the give way line should have a round
version and plate and the other the rectangular and plate.

I feel a report to the councils traffic department coming on if they are
incorrect.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:55:18 +0100, clumsy ******* wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:

Actually I find my wife's car worse (a mk1 Nissan Almera), the rear
suspension gives quite a jolt unless you slow to walking pace for each
hump.

switch to a gaz guzzling SUV and you will be fine.

I think you can still legally drive a tank on UK roads without any kind of
permits or paperwork...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

It ISN'T the issue here....just that a lot of posters haven't read the
OP fully and think that that is what we are discussing.

A bit like the way they drive I expect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"clumsy *******" wrote in message
"dennis@home" wrote:

Humps are cheaper than cameras.

cameras make a profit

Really?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"clumsy *******" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:

and circle was an order.

but but, speed limits are suggestions!

No they aren't.
Speed limits on motorway warning signs are suggestions.
The round signs (red, white and black) specify a maximum speed that you are
allowed to go if it is safe to do so and your vehicle doesn't have a lower
limit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
Dave gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square
and circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes
they are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the
emergency services, but I can't understand what is what.

Yellow ones?

Diversion routes. You'll often see signs "Diversion - follow shape"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...t/Highwaycode/
Signsandmarkings/index.htm

and click on "Direction Signs"

I've seen those used on temporary signs but the symbols refered to often
appear on permanent signs. Of course they could be used for common
diversions but I've never seen a temporary sign saying "Follow black
triangles" or similar.

I've ofter wondered if the permanent ones are used by the MOD.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
"nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:

It is obvious neither of you have read the DoT publication 'Know your
traffic signs'. Circles give orders, triangles warn and rectangles
inform,.

There is, sadly, little understanding of these important
distinctions. I reckon the most misunderstood pair of signs are
"Oncoming vehicles have priority" and "You have priority over
oncoming vehicles", especially amongst workers deploying signs
around road works.

Agreed. It's a confusing sign because it mixes colour and size in the
arrows. It would have been far clearer if they had stuck to monochrome.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:08:57 UTC, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

It ISN'T the issue here....just that a lot of posters haven't read the
OP fully and think that that is what we are discussing.

A bit like the way they drive I expect.

A bit like the way you argue.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

Actually I find my wife's car worse (a mk1 Nissan Almera), the rear
suspension gives quite a jolt unless you slow to walking pace for each
hump.

switch to a gaz guzzling SUV and you will be fine.

I think you can still legally drive a tank on UK roads without any kind of
permits or paperwork...

I think it has to have rubber treads fitted and you'd have to pass a test
for category H (I think that's it) tracked vehicle steered by its tracks. I
think however you could drive a half-track on a normal licence, subject to
maximum weights.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

Steve Walker wrote:

Actually I find my wife's car worse (a mk1 Nissan Almera), the rear
suspension gives quite a jolt unless you slow to walking pace for each
hump.

switch to a gaz guzzling SUV and you will be fine.

I think you can still legally drive a tank on UK roads without any kind of
permits or paperwork...

You are correct.

All you need are rubber tracks and one hell of a lot of insurance and a deep
pocket for the fuel.

The owner of the local motor factors owns a Challenger.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:19:05 GMT, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I reckon the most misunderstood pair of signs are "Oncoming vehicles
have priority" and "You have priority over oncoming vehicles",

They just aren't clear I notice the googling around just now that proper
current use of them also includes an explanatory plate.

There is a narrow section of road near here with them and a give way line
in one dierction but I'm pretty certain the signage in both directions is
just the appropiate rectangular one without any explanatory plate. If I
read things correctly the side with the give way line should have a round
version and plate and the other the rectangular and plate.

I feel a report to the councils traffic department coming on if they are
incorrect.

You are right. There should always be one round (at the give way
line, if present) and one rectangular for the other direction.

What you have is, essentially, approaching drivers both being
told that they have priority.

Chris

--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:25:39 UTC, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
mark wrote:

"Dave" wrote:
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square
and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the
emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

I suspect you should have read more of the question before answering,
anyway I though triangle was for information and circle was an order.

It is obvious neither of you have read the DoT publication 'Know your
traffic signs'. Circles give orders, triangles warn and rectangles
inform,.

We're not talking normal traffic signs here. Or do you realise that?
it's unclear.

The original post was not, but Mark missed that and, as a result, this
sub-part of the thread is about traffic signs in general.

This is the small (probably 20cm across) solid coloured emblems on the
large rectangular direction signs.

Also described in full in 'Know your traffic signs'.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
"nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:

It is obvious neither of you have read the DoT publication 'Know your
traffic signs'. Circles give orders, triangles warn and rectangles
inform,.

There is, sadly, little understanding of these important
distinctions. I reckon the most misunderstood pair of signs are
"Oncoming vehicles have priority" and "You have priority over
oncoming vehicles", especially amongst workers deploying signs
around road works.

When the driving test theory test was introduced, one of the national
newspapers commissioned a poll of drivers. IIRC, the least recognised signs
was the minimum sped limit, but the priority signs you mention were not far
behind.

I have seen works protected by identical pairs of signs of either
the above types. On chatting with the men, they were convinced
that they had done it right, and showed me the comprehensive
printout showing them exactly what they had to do. Unfortunately,
they failed to appreciate how important it was to have
_precisely_ what the sheet showed, not merely something similar,
because that was all they had on their wagon.

Many years ago, the Electricity Board I worked for used to send out an
engineer to check that their roadworks had been laid out properly. They
rarely were.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They are there for those lycra clad, melon headed cycling ******s. They
make it easier for the ****s to get in your way.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim Downie wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

They are stuck onto permanent signs because they are there! That is the
point.

Sign says "Diversion - follow yellow or black diamond". Certainly when
I first saw such signs, many years ago, they said that. Maybe they
assume that people will notice the symbol these days?

On many of the ordinary signs on the route, they stick a yellow diamond.

From time to time, there might be an extra sign confirming the
diversion and destination. Of course, if you don't see the start of the
diversion, you might simply see the symbols and forever wonder what they
mean.

So a few bits of sticky backed plastic perform the same function as
putting up dozens of fully-worded signs.

--
Rod

onset.