Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Road signs

"nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:

It is obvious neither of you have read the DoT publication 'Know your
traffic signs'. Circles give orders, triangles warn and rectangles inform,.

There is, sadly, little understanding of these important
distinctions. I reckon the most misunderstood pair of signs are
"Oncoming vehicles have priority" and "You have priority over
oncoming vehicles", especially amongst workers deploying signs
around road works.

I have seen works protected by identical pairs of signs of either
the above types. On chatting with the men, they were convinced
that they had done it right, and showed me the comprehensive
printout showing them exactly what they had to do. Unfortunately,
they failed to appreciate how important it was to have
_precisely_ what the sheet showed, not merely something similar,
because that was all they had on their wagon.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.