Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Road signs

Tim Downie wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Dave gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square
and circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes
they are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the
emergency services, but I can't understand what is what.

Yellow ones?

Diversion routes. You'll often see signs "Diversion - follow shape"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...t/Highwaycode/
Signsandmarkings/index.htm

and click on "Direction Signs"

I've seen those used on temporary signs but the symbols refered to often
appear on permanent signs. Of course they could be used for common
diversions but I've never seen a temporary sign saying "Follow black
triangles" or similar.

I've ofter wondered if the permanent ones are used by the MOD.

Tim

They are stuck onto permanent signs because they are there! That is the
point.

Sign says "Diversion - follow yellow or black diamond". Certainly when
I first saw such signs, many years ago, they said that. Maybe they
assume that people will notice the symbol these days?

On many of the ordinary signs on the route, they stick a yellow diamond.

From time to time, there might be an extra sign confirming the
diversion and destination. Of course, if you don't see the start of the
diversion, you might simply see the symbols and forever wonder what they
mean.

So a few bits of sticky backed plastic perform the same function as
putting up dozens of fully-worded signs.

--
Rod

onset.