Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Road signs

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they are
solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...endition= Web

(via
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...ings/index.htm )

Diversion routes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Yellow ones?

Diversion routes. You'll often see signs "Diversion - follow shape"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...t/Highwaycode/
Signsandmarkings/index.htm

and click on "Direction Signs"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
Dave gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square
and circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes
they are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the
emergency services, but I can't understand what is what.

Yellow ones?

Diversion routes. You'll often see signs "Diversion - follow shape"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...t/Highwaycode/
Signsandmarkings/index.htm

and click on "Direction Signs"

I've seen those used on temporary signs but the symbols refered to often
appear on permanent signs. Of course they could be used for common
diversions but I've never seen a temporary sign saying "Follow black
triangles" or similar.

I've ofter wondered if the permanent ones are used by the MOD.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim Downie wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

They are stuck onto permanent signs because they are there! That is the
point.

Sign says "Diversion - follow yellow or black diamond". Certainly when
I first saw such signs, many years ago, they said that. Maybe they
assume that people will notice the symbol these days?

On many of the ordinary signs on the route, they stick a yellow diamond.

From time to time, there might be an extra sign confirming the
diversion and destination. Of course, if you don't see the start of the
diversion, you might simply see the symbols and forever wonder what they
mean.

So a few bits of sticky backed plastic perform the same function as
putting up dozens of fully-worded signs.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Downie" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

I've seen those used on temporary signs but the symbols refered to often
appear on permanent signs. Of course they could be used for common
diversions but I've never seen a temporary sign saying "Follow black
triangles" or similar.

I've ofter wondered if the permanent ones are used by the MOD.

No, they're used for frequent diversion routes, say between a couple of M-
way jns or to avoid an often-hit bridge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:34:00 UTC, Dave wrote:

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Do you mean on the bigger 'route' signs? And usually in yellow?

They tend to be 'follow this shape if you want to get to X' and there's
usually a preceding sign somewhere.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:34:00 UTC, Dave wrote:

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Do you mean on the bigger 'route' signs? And usually in yellow?

They tend to be 'follow this shape if you want to get to X' and there's
usually a preceding sign somewhere.

No. Looking at the signs on the M61 and A6 junctions, they look like
they are pointing to hoispitals etc

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:31:51 UTC, Dave wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:34:00 UTC, Dave wrote:

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Do you mean on the bigger 'route' signs? And usually in yellow?

They tend to be 'follow this shape if you want to get to X' and there's
usually a preceding sign somewhere.

No. Looking at the signs on the M61 and A6 junctions, they look like
they are pointing to hoispitals etc

That's OK. Hospital == X

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they are
solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they are
solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

He is on about the diversion symbols that have been in use for about the
last decade.

It makes me think that compulsory annual(ish) theory tests to keep your
license might be a good idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

He is on about the diversion symbols that have been in use for about the
last decade.

Decade? I believe they were introduced for holiday routes in the 1970's
(mainly to the south west) and then spread.

Mind you I was driving from 1972 (

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
It makes me think that compulsory annual(ish) theory tests to keep your
license might be a good idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

He is on about the diversion symbols that have been in use for about the
last decade.

Decade? I believe they were introduced for holiday routes in the 1970's
(mainly to the south west) and then spread.

Mind you I was driving from 1972 (

You will probably notice that the ones that don't know what all the new
signs and road markings mean are the ones that think they know how to drive.

Large numbers have no clue as to what the green boxes at traffic lights are
for AFAICS.

Even more have no idea what the lane lines at junctions indicate as can be
seen from the numbers being in the wrong lanes at islands, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:08:49 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Large numbers have no clue as to what the green boxes at traffic lights
are for AFAICS.

Green boxes? Yellow ones yes but not come across green, so I wouldn't have
clue. google ha they have pictogram of a cyclist so are self
explanatory, seen those but in white.

However it still look like another good reason for compulsory testing
every 5 years. If only to keep up with the law changes/additions, new
signage/road markings, etc.

It always strikes me as very odd, especially in these days with the Elfen
Safety lot in control, that I passed my driving test 31 years ago and can
continue to drive for another 21 odd years without any further
examination. Rather disappointed that the recently announced "reforms" in
speed limits and testing didn't include it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They are there for those lycra clad, melon headed cycling ******s. They
make it easier for the ****s to get in your way.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"mark" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square
and circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and
sometimes they are solid colour. I would imagine that they are
there for the emergency services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

He is on about the diversion symbols that have been in use for about
the last decade.

Decade? I believe they were introduced for holiday routes in the
1970's (mainly to the south west) and then spread.

Mind you I was driving from 1972 (

You will probably notice that the ones that don't know what all the new
signs and road markings mean are the ones that think they know how to
drive.

Do you think you know how to drive dennis ?

Large numbers have no clue as to what the green boxes at traffic lights
are for AFAICS.

Even more have no idea what the lane lines at junctions indicate as can
be seen from the numbers being in the wrong lanes at islands, etc.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:53:39 UTC, clumsy *******
wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote:

It makes me think that compulsory annual(ish) theory tests to keep your
license might be a good idea.

when I look at the driving of experienced drivers who never had a
driving lesson or a written test and the driving of young men, I
compute that knowledge of the outline shape of signs etc isn't really
the issue.

It ISN'T the issue here....just that a lot of posters haven't read the
OP fully and think that that is what we are discussing. Outline shape of
road signs is not the subject of this thread!
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

It ISN'T the issue here....just that a lot of posters haven't read the
OP fully and think that that is what we are discussing.

A bit like the way they drive I expect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:08:57 UTC, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

It ISN'T the issue here....just that a lot of posters haven't read the
OP fully and think that that is what we are discussing.

A bit like the way they drive I expect.

A bit like the way you argue.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , clumsy *******
writes
"dennis@home" wrote:

It makes me think that compulsory annual(ish) theory tests to keep your
license might be a good idea.

when I look at the driving of experienced drivers who never had a
driving lesson or a written test and the driving of young men, I
compute that knowledge of the outline shape of signs etc isn't really
the issue.

Did you miss the fact that dennis is obsessed with rules?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they are
solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Triangle-Circle-Rectangle = Warn- Inform- Direct

Nice try, but they are only about 5 inches in size.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

I'll ask this again
Can anyone explain why some LARGE road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:57:47 UTC, Dave wrote:

Dave wrote:

I'll ask this again
Can anyone explain why some LARGE road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Bottom of second page he

http://tinyurl.com/chzraf

but I'm not sure if you mean those, or the plain yellow shapes I've seen
in the past.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

I'll ask this again
Can anyone explain why some LARGE road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

Bottom of second page he

http://tinyurl.com/chzraf

but I'm not sure if you mean those, or the plain yellow shapes I've seen
in the past.

Thank you.

The yellow signs are what I meant. Sometimes they are filled in black
andf other times they are not filled in at all and are just black and
white suymbols. I think

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

clumsy ******* wrote:
Dave wrote:

bottom of page here
"http://www.ukmotorists.com/highway%20code3.asp"

Try here
http://www.ukmotorists.com/diversion_signs.asp

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

clumsy ******* wrote:
Dave wrote:

Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

holiday route/diversion are yellow/black, what colour is "empty"?

bottom of page here
"http://www.ukmotorists.com/highway%20code3.asp"

Those are the ones I am on about, but what do they mean?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave wrote:
clumsy ******* wrote:
Dave wrote:

Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the
emergency services, but I can't understand what is what.

holiday route/diversion are yellow/black, what colour is "empty"?

bottom of page here
"http://www.ukmotorists.com/highway%20code3.asp"

Those are the ones I am on about, but what do they mean?

Dave

They mean that you haven't quite grasped what the dozens of posts have
been saying.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:17:00 +0100, Dave
wrote:

Those are the ones I am on about, but what do they mean?

well, we did say! They are permanently signed diversions, they can
just put a sign in at the start to tell you to follow the yellow
triangles or whatever.
--
CanThrashMotors
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Can anyone explain why some road signs have those triangle, square and
circular emblems on them? Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they
are solid colour. I would imagine that they are there for the emergency
services, but I can't understand what is what.

No, they're not there for the emergency services, they are there for
motorists who have been diverted from another (usually trunk road or
motorway) route. The symbols don't have any meaning in themselves, i.e.
there's no difference between filled or open square, triangle or circle.
However each symbol marks a different alternative route.

When a pre-planned diversion is in operation signs will be placed which
have messages specifying which classes of vehicle are to follow the
diversion routes, some examples a

DIVERSION
AT NEXT JCT
FOLLOW (CIRCLE)

HGVS
FOLLOW (SQUARE)

WINDS - HGVS
FOLLOW ( OPEN SQUARE)

HIGH SIDED VEHS
FOLLOW (OPEN TRIANGLE)

Another use is for Holiday Routes. When they are in operation drivers
will be instructed to follow the appropriate symbol.

WTF this has to do with DIY, I cannot imagine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Dave wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for taking the time to answer this, Steve.

WTF this has to do with DIY, I cannot imagine.

I do *all* my own driving though :-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:01:37 +0100, Dave
wrote:

I do *all* my own driving though :-)

exactly, no chauffeurs here!
--