Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl from 26th March

Lidl have quite a few DIY Tools from 26th March ...dpending on
locality no doubt .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the wrote:

Lidl have quite a few DIY Tools from 26th March ...dpending on
locality no doubt .

Just paid £12 for a spot blaster (Aldi). Sod is I bought one last year
and forgot it.
Enough is enough. I've reached diy Nirvana, I'm finally tooled up, I'm
sorted!.
6 years lunatic tool-gadget-kit buying from Lidl-Netto-Aldi has left
me as a befuddled tool freak wreck. All that's left now is my weekly
fix of their "On sale from ..." emails. A vain, desperate hope that
the Chinese have invented some strange new novelty item, (preferably
powered) that will be mine, all mine.
Yeah. I do tools. I can handle it ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Bruce wrote:
I'm at the point where I have about 50% more tools than there is
available room for them. Renting a garage provided some respite but
only at a cost.

I find the discipline of a Kangoo van very useful. I still carry far too
many tools on the basis of 'it might come in handy'.

Imagine if you had a long wheelbase, high roof Transit. I bet you could
just as easily fill that! I know I could ...

I never get the opportunity to use most of them. So I am now weeding
out my earlier, mainly Lidl purchases, and offering them on Freecycle.

I've been planning a clearout for ages. I had to upgrade a lot of stuff
when I started doing DIY jobs for a living, but the old stuff is still in
working order. Freecycle sounds a good idea.

Freecycle is great. You don't get any money but you know that whatever
you give away is likely to get used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
Freecycle is great. You don't get any money but you know that whatever
you give away is likely to get used.

Appear in a car boot sale, more likely. ;-)

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:

Freecycle is great.

Freecycle is pile of self-opinionated wank. I tried to give stuff away
via Freecycle. It's a closed community of onanists. There was ****ing
about with registration, some local self-important tosser who wanted to
inspect everything offered and more hoops to jump through than a
three-ring circus.

In the end I decided to do what I should have done from the start, sort
the stuff into piles for Salvation Army, Emmaus, Oxfam and dump.

I've also found that advertising stuff for sale then giving it to the
person who wants it produces far more gratitude than one gets from the
free-loading spongers at Freecycle.

The worst of the Freecycle experience was getting rid of a printer
(perfectly good printer, just surplus to requirements following an
office move) and a computer (one year old but replaced by a proper
server). Each to separate individuals. The one who wanted the printer
had a hissy fit because I refused to drive across country to deliver it
to him (for free) and sent abusive emails for about a month after the
event. The one who wanted the computer spent days bitching that he
wanted a higner spec and a card suitable for gaming because "it's for my
daughter for Christmas". I ended up telling him to **** off and buy one
at PC World.

Net quantity of stuff given away via Freecycle (0).

You don't get any money but you know that whatever you give away is likely
to get used.

Is likely to be used to prop up someone's secondhand business.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:40:14 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
Freecycle is great. You don't get any money but you know that whatever
you give away is likely to get used.

Appear in a car boot sale, more likely. ;-)

So? Would you rather it went to landfill?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Freecycle is great. You don't get any money but you know that whatever
you give away is likely to get used.

Appear in a car boot sale, more likely. ;-)

So? Would you rather it went to landfill?

Plowman would rather he had an argument with someone, even if it was
only in his imagination.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Freecycle is great. You don't get any money but you know that
whatever you give away is likely to get used.

Appear in a car boot sale, more likely. ;-)

So? Would you rather it went to landfill?

With my experiences of Freecycle, yes.

--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Freecycle is great. You don't get any money but you know that
whatever you give away is likely to get used.

Appear in a car boot sale, more likely. ;-)

So? Would you rather it went to landfill?

Plowman would rather he had an argument with someone, even if it was
only in his imagination.

You must get your opinions from freecycle too given what they're worth.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 08:43:16 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Bruce wrote:
wrote:

[...]

If you don't want to be bothered with Ebay personally consider using an
Ebay middleman to sell your unwanted items. These are people who will
collect your unwanted items, sell them on Ebay and then send you the
proceeds less their (substantial) charges. It's better than giving your
goods away to ungrateful beggars for nothing.

A quick Google for 'Ebay sellers' produced this example amongst several:

http://www.trading4u.com/?gclid=CMvw...FQulQwodGWko6g

Ci.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

If you don't want to be bothered with Ebay personally consider using an
Ebay middleman to sell your unwanted items.

I have bought and sold literally hundreds of thousands of pounds worth
of stuff on eBay since 1998. I just cannot see the point for small
numbers of low value items - it just isn't worth all the hassle,
especially if the item is also heavy and the postage would be quite
expensive in relation to the item's value.

If I think an item may have some value I always do an eBay search first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 23:02:30 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

wrote:
Freecycle is great. You don't get any money but you know that
whatever you give away is likely to get used.

Appear in a car boot sale, more likely. ;-)

So? Would you rather it went to landfill?

With my experiences of Freecycle, yes.

That's a shame - it's worked very well for us.

You do get the occasional small-town-committee-chairman type moderator
who is too pedantic even for Usenet, and after each time it's mentioned
on the local radio you get an influx of 'WANTED: Boxed PS3, must be mint
condition' but overall most people seem to be 'nice people'.

Generally I just want rid of something I offer, I don't care whether they
want it or will sell it on. If I can't be arsed to sell it myself, why
shouldn't they get the profit in exchange for the hassle?

If it's something special, I'll take more care to give it to someone who
I think really wants it for themselves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Freecycle is great. You don't get any money but you know that
whatever you give away is likely to get used.

Appear in a car boot sale, more likely. ;-)

So? Would you rather it went to landfill?

With my experiences of Freecycle, yes.

That's a shame - it's worked very well for us.

You do get the occasional small-town-committee-chairman type moderator
who is too pedantic even for Usenet

Oh, yes...one of those in one of the groups round here. The other group
works just as well, if not better, and I always advertise in that one
first as it's far less hassle.

(clue: East Kent!)

and after each time it's mentioned
on the local radio you get an influx of 'WANTED: Boxed PS3, must be mint
condition' but overall most people seem to be 'nice people'.

Same here. Someone posted a want ad for 'moon on a stick' a while ago,
and that cut down on the silly ones!

Generally I just want rid of something I offer, I don't care whether they
want it or will sell it on. If I can't be arsed to sell it myself, why
shouldn't they get the profit in exchange for the hassle?

If it's something special, I'll take more care to give it to someone who
I think really wants it for themselves.

Exactly.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PCPaul wrote:
So? Would you rather it went to landfill?

With my experiences of Freecycle, yes.

That's a shame - it's worked very well for us.

You do get the occasional small-town-committee-chairman type moderator
who is too pedantic even for Usenet, and after each time it's mentioned
on the local radio you get an influx of 'WANTED: Boxed PS3, must be mint
condition' but overall most people seem to be 'nice people'.

My only experience is of the London one which is perhaps too large.

Generally I just want rid of something I offer, I don't care whether
they want it or will sell it on. If I can't be arsed to sell it myself,
why shouldn't they get the profit in exchange for the hassle?

The hassle I had was people *desperate* for what I had on offer - then not
turning up to collect. And at an arranged time etc which was convenient to
them. And despite it being no trouble to them to email and phone etc to
make sure they'd 'won' it, not one ever emailed afterwards to say thanks.
So now I offer such things to the local charity shop and if they don't
want it take it to the tip.

If it's something special, I'll take more care to give it to someone who
I think really wants it for themselves.

Indeed. I'd even help with transport if I could be sure of that.

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:27:19 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PCPaul wrote:
So? Would you rather it went to landfill?

With my experiences of Freecycle, yes.

That's a shame - it's worked very well for us.

My only experience is of the London one which is perhaps too large.

Around here (Gloucester/Cheltenham/Stroud) we have had several groups
spltting when the membershp got too big. You can be in several so if you
happen to live on the border of three you can watch all of them.

The hassle I had was people *desperate* for what I had on offer - then
not turning up to collect. And at an arranged time etc which was
convenient to them. And despite it being no trouble to them to email and
phone etc to make sure they'd 'won' it, not one ever emailed afterwards
to say thanks.

I've noticed that too. Can't really get my head round it...

If it's something special, I'll take more care to give it to someone
who I think really wants it for themselves.

Indeed. I'd even help with transport if I could be sure of that.

BTDT. Also if it's something big and awkward like furniture I've helped
if I have transport and they haven't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Cicero wrote:
If you don't want to be bothered with Ebay personally consider using an
Ebay middleman to sell your unwanted items.

I have bought and sold literally hundreds of thousands of pounds worth
of stuff on eBay since 1998. I just cannot see the point for small
numbers of low value items - it just isn't worth all the hassle,
especially if the item is also heavy and the postage would be quite
expensive in relation to the item's value.

If I think an item may have some value I always do an eBay search first.

I bought a tv on EBay for £1. It was what I wanted, and where I wanted
(a mile down the road). That's what I call well organised almostfreecycle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:17:49 +0000, Bruce wrote:

Cicero wrote:

If you don't want to be bothered with Ebay personally consider using an
Ebay middleman to sell your unwanted items.

I have bought and sold literally hundreds of thousands of pounds worth
of stuff on eBay since 1998. I just cannot see the point for small
numbers of low value items - it just isn't worth all the hassle,
especially if the item is also heavy and the postage would be quite
expensive in relation to the item's value.

If I think an item may have some value I always do an eBay search first.

Have you got a genuine point to make or are you just taking another
opportunity to pontificate about something?

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Cicero wrote:
If you don't want to be bothered with Ebay personally consider using an
Ebay middleman to sell your unwanted items.

I have bought and sold literally hundreds of thousands of pounds worth
of stuff on eBay since 1998. I just cannot see the point for small
numbers of low value items - it just isn't worth all the hassle,
especially if the item is also heavy and the postage would be quite
expensive in relation to the item's value.

If I think an item may have some value I always do an eBay search first.

I bought a tv on EBay for £1. It was what I wanted, and where I wanted
(a mile down the road). That's what I call well organised almostfreecycle.

It's great when it works.

However, where I live, there are not many items advertised on eBay by
local sellers, and I find that very few people are prepared to come and
collect heavy and/or bulky items. On the rare occasions when I have
bought items from local sellers, they haven't been prepared to allow me
to collect, and I have had to pay postage anyway and wait.

One seller even charges £5 for collection by the buyer!

I'm not in a remote area; I live in a Home Counties town that is just
off a major trunk road within 20 miles of the M25. It just seems to be
a backwater as far as eBay is concerned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Bruce wrote:
I'm at the point where I have about 50% more tools than there is
available room for them. Renting a garage provided some respite but
only at a cost.

I find the discipline of a Kangoo van very useful. I still carry
far too many tools on the basis of 'it might come in handy'.

Imagine if you had a long wheelbase, high roof Transit. I bet you
could just as easily fill that! I know I could ...

Precisely why I didn't get one :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 21:59:44 +0000, Bruce wrote:

Cicero wrote:

Have you got a genuine point to make or are you just taking another
opportunity to pontificate about something?

Have you got a genuine point to make or are you just taking another
opportunity to pontificate about something?

So the answer should be 'No' but you can't understand that everybody
doesn't admire you as much as you admire yourself.

You alone can't see the point that is so clear to so many thousands of
Ebay users. The fact that you're such a small minority suggests that
you're wrong but you're too obtuse to understand that.

It's hardly surprising that your late foolish friend killed himself if he
was relying on you for advice.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Mar, 17:27, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

My only experience is of the London one which is perhaps too large.

The Edinburgh one is far too big. There are a couple of hundred
messages a day, so browsing is effectively impossible. It would be
much better so have something categorised and searchable, like eBay,
but I suppose that would cost more than piggybacking off Yahoo. Mind
you, didn't the Freecycle founder sell out for corporate dollars a
while back? What's he doing with the money?

My local (rural) group defected to become Freeshare at that point, and
it all works quite nicely at a scale of 20 messages/day.

Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

So the answer should be 'No' but you can't understand that everybody
doesn't admire you as much as you admire yourself.

Why don't you put me in your kill file?

Welcome to mine. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:30:49 +0000, Bruce wrote:

Cicero wrote:

So the answer should be 'No' but you can't understand that everybody
doesn't admire you as much as you admire yourself.

Why don't you put me in your kill file?

Welcome to mine. ;-)

I wouldn't dream of doing that.

It's much more amusing to watch you frequently showing what a pompous,
patronising prat you are.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Happy March 14th!!!! Joe Woodworking 11 March 15th 09 11:55 AM
WWE RAW 26th FEB [email protected] UK diy 0 March 4th 07 06:53 AM
Solar Eclipse March 29; Only 2 Weeks To Go! astrofan UK diy 3 March 16th 06 02:50 PM
OT- Million Mom March Revisited Gunner Metalworking 16 October 3rd 03 04:14 PM