Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Lidl from 26th March

Bruce wrote:

Freecycle is great.

Freecycle is pile of self-opinionated wank. I tried to give stuff away
via Freecycle. It's a closed community of onanists. There was ****ing
about with registration, some local self-important tosser who wanted to
inspect everything offered and more hoops to jump through than a
three-ring circus.

In the end I decided to do what I should have done from the start, sort
the stuff into piles for Salvation Army, Emmaus, Oxfam and dump.

I've also found that advertising stuff for sale then giving it to the
person who wants it produces far more gratitude than one gets from the
free-loading spongers at Freecycle.

The worst of the Freecycle experience was getting rid of a printer
(perfectly good printer, just surplus to requirements following an
office move) and a computer (one year old but replaced by a proper
server). Each to separate individuals. The one who wanted the printer
had a hissy fit because I refused to drive across country to deliver it
to him (for free) and sent abusive emails for about a month after the
event. The one who wanted the computer spent days bitching that he
wanted a higner spec and a card suitable for gaming because "it's for my
daughter for Christmas". I ended up telling him to **** off and buy one
at PC World.

Net quantity of stuff given away via Freecycle (0).

You don't get any money but you know that whatever you give away is likely
to get used.

Is likely to be used to prop up someone's secondhand business.