Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Splash back idea

I am still planningmy kitchen and have started thinking about
splashbacks

If all else fails than I will use tiles but I want to explore other
options first

I dont want a stainless steel splashback, I think it will look too
much like a commercial kitchen but I have been wondering about having
a copper or bronze one, the colour would suit the room well

However, searching on the internet I find that copper taints food
which is presumably why I have never seen a copper splashback

So maybe I could varnish the copper? Can one successfully varnish
metal? ... I am reaching the end of my knowledge here

Can anyone add pithy thoughts? Or tell me to abandon the idea

Anna

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:
I am still planningmy kitchen and have started thinking about
splashbacks

If all else fails than I will use tiles but I want to explore other
options first

I dont want a stainless steel splashback, I think it will look too
much like a commercial kitchen but I have been wondering about having
a copper or bronze one, the colour would suit the room well

However, searching on the internet I find that copper taints food
which is presumably why I have never seen a copper splashback

So maybe I could varnish the copper? Can one successfully varnish
metal? ... I am reaching the end of my knowledge here

Can anyone add pithy thoughts? Or tell me to abandon the idea

Anna

Its standard practice to varnish copper alloy ornaments and fitments.
If not coated it turns green. Glass may be more maintenance free
though - any varnish coming off the copper, as it presumably will from
cleaning, and it goes brown then green. You can get some very fancy
bits of glass from... IIRC Tatra glass.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Feb, 18:02, (Anna Kettle) wrote:
I am still planningmy kitchen and have started thinking about
splashbacks

If all else fails than I will use tiles but I want to explore other
options first

I dont want a stainless steel splashback, I think it will look too
much like a commercial kitchen but I have been wondering about having
a copper or bronze one, the colour would suit the room well

However, searching on the internet I find that copper taints food
which is presumably why I have never seen a copper splashback

So maybe I could varnish the copper? Can one successfully varnish
metal? ... I am reaching the end of my knowledge here

Can anyone add pithy thoughts? Or tell me to abandon the idea

Anna

edge-lit glass, in ever-evolving colours ?
I'm thinking about using it somewhere in my kitchen.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message ...
I am still planningmy kitchen and have started thinking about
splashbacks

If all else fails than I will use tiles but I want to explore other
options first

I dont want a stainless steel splashback, I think it will look too
much like a commercial kitchen but I have been wondering about having
a copper or bronze one, the colour would suit the room well

However, searching on the internet I find that copper taints food
which is presumably why I have never seen a copper splashback

So maybe I could varnish the copper? Can one successfully varnish
metal? ... I am reaching the end of my knowledge here

Can anyone add pithy thoughts? Or tell me to abandon the idea

Anna

Go for plain copper!
Have a Google of ' copper in hospital fittings '.
Here's a few hits:
http://www.naturalnews.com/News_0004...hospitals.html
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1509513.ece
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...hospitals.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
I am still planningmy kitchen and have started thinking about
splashbacks

If all else fails than I will use tiles but I want to explore other
options first

I dont want a stainless steel splashback, I think it will look too
much like a commercial kitchen but I have been wondering about having
a copper or bronze one, the colour would suit the room well

However, searching on the internet I find that copper taints food
which is presumably why I have never seen a copper splashback

So maybe I could varnish the copper? Can one successfully varnish
metal? ... I am reaching the end of my knowledge here

Can anyone add pithy thoughts? Or tell me to abandon the idea

Anna

I'm not up to speed with modern finishing products but can only imagine
that a varnished copper splashback would end up quite unsightly in short
order.
Unless you want to exert the effort to keep it polished )

What are you using for worktops?
If wood you might consider Jarrah for splashbacks.
A species of Eucalyptus, very hard, dense and waterproof.
It is used in UK and elsewhere as wear surfaces on weirs and watercourses.
Natural colour is akin to copper. Also used in the past for waterwheel
construction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_marginata

Is stone out of the question?
It comes in colours, shades and patterns that cannot be matched by
manufacturing processes.
Not just granite or marble. Sandstone, slate, lava and likely more.
A firm locally manufactures stone worktops for bathrooms kitchens etc.
I am just amazed by the variety of material that they use.
This is a link to one of their suppliers
http://www.pisanimaterials.co.uk/(S(...m))/fmain.aspx

You could also consider lead. Not food friendly but as said before you won't
be eating from it.
Durable and easily maintained. Doesn't have the brash or hard aspect of s/s.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote:

I'm not up to speed with modern finishing products but can only imagine
that a varnished copper splashback would end up quite unsightly in short
order.

No need for a modern finishing product.

A traditional lacquer should be just fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

When you get it working post some pictures please. It sounds interesting.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
"Nick" wrote:
I'm not up to speed with modern finishing products but can only imagine
that a varnished copper splashback would end up quite unsightly in short
order.

No need for a modern finishing product.

A traditional lacquer should be just fine.

Why not use a coloured toughened glass splashback, available from many
glass and/or kitchen fitters, in a range of colours.(Kitchen fitters
seem to be more expensive though) You just need to measure accurately
and stick onto the wall with super mirror adhesive (supplied with the
glass).

It's hygenic and any colour you want. I'm very pleased with ours.

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Nick" wrote:

I'm not up to speed with modern finishing products but can only imagine
that a varnished copper splashback would end up quite unsightly in short
order.

No need for a modern finishing product.

A traditional lacquer should be just fine.

I have used both Simonize and Halford's own clear laquer products in an
aerosol can. Very durable and hard-wearing, as you would expect for a
product intended for spraying alloy wheels etc. A very easy spray can to
use. A while back, I needed to 'produce' some edge tiles for my kitchen. The
black ones that I was using only came in an edge-less version, and I didn't
want to edge with any of the trims that you sometimes see, so I used a
permanent spirit based black marker pen to first make the edges jet black,
and then sprayed them with the laquer to give them a gloss. They have stood
up so far to repeated cleaning, without a problem. I also used it to spray
over emulsion paint that I used on the kickboards that I made. I did it this
way because I wanted them to be gloss and easily cleanable, whilst still
being an exact match to the red emulsion accent colour I was using elsewhere
in the kitchen design.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 24, 10:06*pm, Ian & Hilda Dedic
wrote:
Bruce wrote:
"Nick" wrote:
I'm not up to speed with modern finishing products but can only imagine
that a varnished copper splashback would end up quite unsightly in short
order.

No need for a modern finishing product.

A traditional lacquer should be just fine.

Why not use a coloured toughened glass splashback, available from many
glass and/or kitchen fitters, in a range of colours.(Kitchen fitters
seem to be more expensive though) You just need to measure accurately
and stick onto the wall with super mirror adhesive (supplied with the
glass).

It's hygenic and any colour you want. I'm very pleased with ours.

We also used coloured toughened glass bought directly form the glass
company. Although it was expensive (plus £30 for each socket cut
out!) it worked out cheaper than paying a pro to tile the whole
surface.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:

I am still planningmy kitchen and have started thinking about
splashbacks

If all else fails than I will use tiles but I want to explore other
options first

I dont want a stainless steel splashback, I think it will look too
much like a commercial kitchen but I have been wondering about having
a copper or bronze one, the colour would suit the room well

However, searching on the internet I find that copper taints food
which is presumably why I have never seen a copper splashback

So maybe I could varnish the copper? Can one successfully varnish
metal? ... I am reaching the end of my knowledge here

Can anyone add pithy thoughts? Or tell me to abandon the idea

Anna

I got a local glass company to supply a toughened glass panel with polished
edges and screw holes as a splash back - we put holiday snaps etc. behind it
- nice to look at while cooking ;-)

Alan

--
email ~= s/nospam//

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I like the idea of glass splashbacks so emailed Tatra Glass (thanks
NT) who have some lovely colours. They got back to me very quickly
saying
=========
Coloured splashbacks are made from low iron glass which is clear as
supposed to normal glass which has a slight tint. The back is then
sprayed and fired to a RAL colour. A RAL chart can be got from a
painting and decorating merchant. The colour will remain true on low
iron glass. The edges are also polished and the glass is also
toughened
for safety purposes. It can then be glazed using silicone. The
thickness
is 6mm.
The total price inc delivery would be £1502.71 inc vat.
======
Which is a bit of an eyewatering price but the area I specified is
quite large and I could modfy both the area and hence the price. I do
like the idea that I can get the glass in whatever colour I like

I had a google and there are several other glass splashback suppliers
but the colours they offer just dont suit my kitchen. I dont think
they are much cheaper than Tatra either

But then Arfa's recommendation for spraying the copper sheet with
lacquer is very interesting

Decisions decisions

I do love the design bit Its so much more fun than the actual DIY. Is
that heresy on this newsgroup? Its just the feeling of a woman who is
five years into a big project and really wishes it was done and
dusted. Dusted being ther operative word :-)

Anna

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:
[...]

Cripes. ISTR seeing splashback sized sheets at Tatra for about £60 in
multicolour. These are see-through glass with pretty colour patterns
in them, so the paint behind the splashback becomes the background
colour.

I had a google and there are several other glass splashback suppliers
but the colours they offer just dont suit my kitchen. I dont think
they are much cheaper than Tatra either

Even plain window glass would be practical and cheap. Needs to be
mounted removably for repainting and an occasional clean.

I do love the design bit Its so much more fun than the actual DIY. Is
that heresy on this newsgroup? Its just the feeling of a woman who is
five years into a big project and really wishes it was done and
dusted. Dusted being ther operative word :-)

Anna

heh, yeah

NT

kitchen back splash -- WOODEN. What kind of paint? Num coats? David Combs Home Repair 8 October 19th 08 04:42 PM
Kitchen Back splash - Design Help required [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 19th 08 04:47 PM
Tiling question (Back Splash) Bgreer5050 Home Repair 2 March 25th 07 11:43 AM
Back splash Tile GoHabsGo Home Repair 1 December 6th 05 06:27 PM
tiling a back splash Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 5 March 7th 05 09:26 PM