Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Splash back idea

Anna Kettle wrote:
I like the idea of glass splashbacks so emailed Tatra Glass (thanks
NT) who have some lovely colours. They got back to me very quickly
saying
=========
Coloured splashbacks are made from low iron glass which is clear as
supposed to normal glass which has a slight tint. The back is then
sprayed and fired to a RAL colour. A RAL chart can be got from a
painting and decorating merchant. The colour will remain true on low
iron glass. The edges are also polished and the glass is also
toughened
for safety purposes. It can then be glazed using silicone. The
thickness
is 6mm.
The total price inc delivery would be �1502.71 inc vat.
======
Which is a bit of an eyewatering price but the area I specified is
quite large and I could modfy both the area and hence the price. I do
like the idea that I can get the glass in whatever colour I like

Cripes. ISTR seeing splashback sized sheets at Tatra for about £60 in
multicolour. These are see-through glass with pretty colour patterns
in them, so the paint behind the splashback becomes the background
colour.

I had a google and there are several other glass splashback suppliers
but the colours they offer just dont suit my kitchen. I dont think
they are much cheaper than Tatra either

Even plain window glass would be practical and cheap. Needs to be
mounted removably for repainting and an occasional clean.

I do love the design bit Its so much more fun than the actual DIY. Is
that heresy on this newsgroup? Its just the feeling of a woman who is
five years into a big project and really wishes it was done and
dusted. Dusted being ther operative word :-)

Anna

heh, yeah

NT