Posted to alt.home.repair
GoHabsGo

Default Back splash Tile

Hi all,

Does anyone know any good web sites that explain step by step how to
install ceramic tile backsplash? I have done some tile work but it has
been about 30 years ago and a refresher wouldn't hurt before I get started.

Thanks,

Larry
Posted to alt.home.repair
GoHabsGo

Default Back splash Tile questions

Calling all tile experts!

I did some googling and found some web sites to help me but still have a
couple of questions.

I plan on doing a very simple layout with all tiles on diamond points.
So I'll have to cut the tiles very carefully (I will have a wet saw for
this).
My bottom row will consist completely of tiles cut point to point making
triangles.

1. My backsplash will consist of two walls, 1 corner and one range area.
Any pointers on where to begin to avoid smallish peices at either end and
the corner?

2. My first thought was to not use spacers, instead butting them together
using the built-in bumps for spacing, minimizing the grout lines. Will
this be too tight?

3. If I don't use spacers as above, I assume that I will need to use
spacer of sorts for the bottom row, right?

4. The bottom row should be caulked and not grouted (from what I read).
I assume that the grout is done first (allowed to dry) then clean out the
bottom space, insert the caulking and finally smooth the caulk.

Thanks,

Larry