Posted to alt.home.repair

Default kitchen back splash -- WOODEN. What kind of paint? Num coats?

Five or so years my wife had a new kitchen put in
(same room, but redone).

For beauty, backsplash was wood.

I suggested waterproof paint. Both she and the builder (known
for "beautiful" work) nixed that. Would be "ugly".

Of course the paint has cracked, etc, and thin slivers
of wood are exposed -- and wet.

Anyway, how do wives you know (happily?) handle this problem?

Thanks,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 5:10*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
Five or so years my wife had a new kitchen put in
(same room, but redone).

For beauty, backsplash was wood.

I suggested waterproof paint. *Both she and the builder (known
for "beautiful" work) nixed that. *Would be "ugly".

Of course the paint has cracked, etc, and thin slivers
of wood are exposed -- and wet.

Anyway, how do wives you know (happily?) handle this problem?

Thanks,

David

If the body of the backsplash is wet, I would think the wood was not
sealed on all surfaces.
If that is so, the back splash has to be removed and replaced or
dried, sealed on all surfaces and reinstalled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyway, how do wives you know (happily?) handle this problem?

Remove the wood and replace with tile

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
Five or so years my wife had a new kitchen put in
(same room, but redone).

For beauty, backsplash was wood.

I suggested waterproof paint. Both she and the builder (known
for "beautiful" work) nixed that. Would be "ugly".

Of course the paint has cracked, etc, and thin slivers
of wood are exposed -- and wet.

Anyway, how do wives you know (happily?) handle this problem?

They listen to someone who knows and don't put in wood back splashes.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 6:25*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
David Combs wrote:
Five or so years my wife had a new kitchen put in
(same room, but redone).

For beauty, backsplash was wood.

I suggested waterproof paint. *Both she and the builder (known
for "beautiful" work) nixed that. *Would be "ugly".

Of course the paint has cracked, etc, and thin slivers
of wood are exposed -- and wet.

Anyway, how do wives you know (happily?) handle this problem?

They listen to someone who knows and don't put in wood back splashes.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

I have a butcher block kitchen counter with wooden back splash.
It has been in place since 1978 / 9.
It has never needed repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:

Five or so years my wife had a new kitchen put in
(same room, but redone).

For beauty, backsplash was wood.

I suggested waterproof paint. Both she and the builder (known
for "beautiful" work) nixed that. Would be "ugly".

Of course the paint has cracked, etc, and thin slivers
of wood are exposed -- and wet.

Anyway, how do wives you know (happily?) handle this problem?

Thanks,

David

Seems the secret would be to finish and seal all surfaces of the wood
prior to installation
and caulk seams. Three coats of finish, probably, would be needed to
seal all fine grain
openings. If the counter isn't level and water stands against the wood,
just a minute defect
in the finish would allow water in, expand the wood and crack the finish
further. End
grain without sufficient sealing is the usual culprit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Repair any holes, gouges, or wood damage. Sand smooth, finally using
220 grit. The sanding is very important. Apply a primer per
instructions. Apply at least two coats of a quality bath & kitchen
paint, lightly sanding between coats. After 3-4 weeks of cure time,
apply paste wax with fine steel wool and buff. Re-apply the wax every
6 months. Your backsplash should last for many years for most kinds
of wood. White oak, teak, cedar, cypress, redwood are good
rot-resistant choices.

Kitchen Back splash - Design Help required [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 19th 08 05:47 PM
Tiling question (Back Splash) Bgreer5050 Home Repair 2 March 25th 07 12:43 PM
Back splash Tile GoHabsGo Home Repair 1 December 6th 05 07:27 PM
tiling a back splash Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 5 March 7th 05 10:26 PM