Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best mattress for snoring - Tempur?

Problem - I'm overweight and snore. Worst on my back, better on my
side. But if I go to sleep on my side I roll over easily onto my back.
Seems what's needed is:
1) Some mattress that is soft so doesn't make pressure points sore
2) Mattress that inhibits you from turning too easily. The sprung
mattresses almost encourage you to end up on your back.

Have snorers found any solutions e.g. with memory foam like Tempur?
Seems to hold you softly in one position.

If so, and tips for a good price online or wherever?

Interested in all possible comments and experiences about memory foam
mattresses like Tempur.

best,

andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:
Problem - I'm overweight and snore. Worst on my back, better on my
side. But if I go to sleep on my side I roll over easily onto my back.

How about the classic solution of sewing a pocket into the back of your
jimjams top, and putting a tennis ball in it? You roll on to your back
while asleep; it's uncomfortable so you roll back on your side.

Better yet - have you tried losing some weight? I dropped 2 stone last
year and SWMBO tells me the snoring (and the rather alarming associated
sleep apnoea) has stopped completely!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:49:42 -0800 (PST)
Eusebius wrote:

Problem - I'm overweight and snore. Worst on my back, better on my
side. But if I go to sleep on my side I roll over easily onto my back.
Seems what's needed is:
1) Some mattress that is soft so doesn't make pressure points sore
2) Mattress that inhibits you from turning too easily. The sprung
mattresses almost encourage you to end up on your back.

Have snorers found any solutions e.g. with memory foam like Tempur?
Seems to hold you softly in one position.

If so, and tips for a good price online or wherever?

Interested in all possible comments and experiences about memory foam
mattresses like Tempur.

best,

andy

I have a cheaper-unbranded-equivalent-to-Tempur memory-foam mattress. I
can't say if it has stopped snoring, but I certainly don't roll about
like I used to. Not everyone likes them though, and it's a lot of
money to discover you don't. One tip - you need a lot less pillow - I
have a memory-foam shaped pillow that keeps the neck extended - this
also helps stop rolling - recommended by a physio.

R.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Eusebius wrote:

Have snorers found any solutions e.g. with memory foam like Tempur?

The Tempur mattresses can be quite hot to sleep on.

have you tried losing some weight? I dropped 2 stone last year

I've lost 2 stone this year!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:

Problem - I'm overweight and snore. Worst on my back, better on my
side. But if I go to sleep on my side I roll over easily onto my back.
Seems what's needed is:
1) Some mattress that is soft so doesn't make pressure points sore
2) Mattress that inhibits you from turning too easily. The sprung
mattresses almost encourage you to end up on your back.

Have snorers found any solutions e.g. with memory foam like Tempur?
Seems to hold you softly in one position.

If so, and tips for a good price online or wherever?

Interested in all possible comments and experiences about memory foam
mattresses like Tempur.

I spent a fortune on a genuine Tempur mattress and was very disappointed
with it. Previously, I had a top brand pocketed spring mattress that
was much more comfortable and supportive, and that didn't make me sweat
like the Tempur did.

So I sold the Tempur on eBay at a huge loss and bought a pocketed spring
mattress, this time from IKEA. It cost a fraction of the price of the
Tempur and is just as comfortable as the branded pocketed spring
mattress that costs at least double. After three years, the mattress is
still like new and I would certainly buy another, but don't need to yet.

I use an IKEA mattress topper which makes the mattress even more
comfortable. If you really must have memory foam, you can get an
off-brand 75mm or 100mm memory foam mattress topper at a fraction of the
price of a full Tempur mattress.

You should get your snoring checked out. Overweight is a risk factor
for obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) which is where your breathing pauses
while asleep.

Ask your partner or a family member to monitor you wile you sleep and
note any cessation of breathing. These cessations can last for anything
up to 20 seconds, after which you partially wake and start breathing
again. The result is disturbed sleep.

People with OSA have a heightened risk of heart attack and stroke, and
the reduced daytime vitality that results from disturbed sleep will also
encourage further weight gain. It's a vicious circle.

Some useful advice and information he
http://www.sleep-apnoea-trust.org/sl...nformation.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Eusebius wrote:
Problem - I'm overweight and snore. Worst on my back, better on my
side. But if I go to sleep on my side I roll over easily onto my back.
Seems what's needed is:
1) Some mattress that is soft so doesn't make pressure points sore
2) Mattress that inhibits you from turning too easily. The sprung
mattresses almost encourage you to end up on your back.

Have snorers found any solutions e.g. with memory foam like Tempur?
Seems to hold you softly in one position.

If so, and tips for a good price online or wherever?

Interested in all possible comments and experiences about memory foam
mattresses like Tempur.

best,

andy

Have a look he

http://www.essentiadirect.com/blog/2007/10/30/the-more-natural-tempur-pedic/

There are many, many similar stories about off-gassing and the effects
it has on people.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

http://www.essentiadirect.com/blog/2007/10/30/the-more-natural-tempur-pedic/

Shock horror! Company publishes FUD about rival product.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:15:02 +0000, Bruce wrote:

So I sold the Tempur on eBay at a huge loss and bought a pocketed spring
mattress, this time from IKEA.

Are they 'normal' UK sizes? I had an idea that IKEA bed stuff is some
unusual size/aspect ratio.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Burns wrote:
Rod wrote:

http://www.essentiadirect.com/blog/2007/10/30/the-more-natural-tempur-pedic/

Shock horror! Company publishes FUD about rival product.

(Oops - dropped mouse posts message before it has been written!)

Indeed - but that was just the first site I found with such references.
To my certain knowledge it is something that some people have suffered
from. I am in no way supporting that company - existence of which was
unknown to me until maybe an hour ago.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:15:02 +0000, Bruce wrote:

So I sold the Tempur on eBay at a huge loss and bought a pocketed spring
mattress, this time from IKEA.

Are they 'normal' UK sizes? I had an idea that IKEA bed stuff is some
unusual size/aspect ratio.

The Tempur is available in a wide range of sizes and can even be made to
measure. The IKEA mattresses are all in European standard sizes, so
there is nothing unusual about those.

The traditional British mattress sizes are gradually dying out and the
European standard sizes are now widely available in bed stores. Before
long, it will be the old British sizes that are considered unusual.

Certainly, among the younger members of my extended family, I don't know
of any beds they own that are not in the European standard size range.
Most seem to have been bought from IKEA, but others bought from the
Dreams chain and department stores are also in European standard sizes.

I know this because my partner likes to buy bedding as gifts for members
of the family. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Rod wrote:

http://www.essentiadirect.com/blog/2007/10/30/the-more-natural-tempur-pedic/

Shock horror! Company publishes FUD about rival product.

(Oops - dropped mouse posts message before it has been written!)

Indeed - but that was just the first site I found with such references.
To my certain knowledge it is something that some people have suffered
from. I am in no way supporting that company - existence of which was
unknown to me until maybe an hour ago.

It has always struck me that Tempur mattresses are the perfect example
of a solution looking for a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:32:06 +0000, Bruce wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:15:02 +0000, Bruce wrote:

So I sold the Tempur on eBay at a huge loss and bought a pocketed spring
mattress, this time from IKEA.

Are they 'normal' UK sizes? I had an idea that IKEA bed stuff is some
unusual size/aspect ratio.

The Tempur is available in a wide range of sizes and can even be made to
measure. The IKEA mattresses are all in European standard sizes, so
there is nothing unusual about those.

The traditional British mattress sizes are gradually dying out and the
European standard sizes are now widely available in bed stores. Before
long, it will be the old British sizes that are considered unusual.

Hmm - My mattress is 75" x 54" so it's probably a real British size...

:-)
--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:

Most seem to have been bought from IKEA, but others bought from the
Dreams chain and department stores are also in European standard sizes.

IIRC that was one of their claims to fame - 10% of europeans are now
conceived on an IKEA mattress...

(which must be getting a bit soggy by now!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 23:54:30 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Most seem to have been bought from IKEA, but others bought from the
Dreams chain and department stores are also in European standard sizes.

IIRC that was one of their claims to fame - 10% of europeans are now
conceived on an IKEA mattress...

(which must be getting a bit soggy by now!)

yebbut, it's guaranteed for 25 years!
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Problem - I'm overweight and snore. Worst on my back, better on my
side. But if I go to sleep on my side I roll over easily onto my back.
Seems what's needed is:
1) Some mattress that is soft so doesn't make pressure points sore
2) Mattress that inhibits you from turning too easily. The sprung
mattresses almost encourage you to end up on your back.

Have snorers found any solutions e.g. with memory foam like Tempur?

Septoplasty. Twice. First one worked for 6 months and the second has
worked so far. (8 months)

Pillows don't work. Mattress will have no affect. Those funny things
you stick in your nose or mouth don't work.

The doc can send you to see the nose man and he'll have a look and see
if there's anything he can do.

Seems to hold you softly in one position.

If so, and tips for a good price online or wherever?

We got a good one off ebay - but not for the snorer.

Interested in all possible comments and experiences about memory foam
mattresses like Tempur.

best,

andy

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
SNIP
I spent a fortune on a genuine Tempur mattress and was very
disappointed with it. Previously, I had a top brand pocketed spring
mattress that was much more comfortable and supportive, and that
didn't make me sweat like the Tempur did.

Agreed - I tried one and ended up swapping it to the spare room! I went back
to my old - far too old - Dunlopillo one.

As for expensive beds - See Penn & Teller's 'Bull****' program on Sleep Inc,
it is very instructive as to what bed to choose :-).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1260545/

It is episode 5 of season 6
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4347..._(Episodes_1-5)

As for snoring - try the nose openers you see advertised on TV.

Slatts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Feb, 16:49, Eusebius wrote:
Problem - I'm overweight and snore. Worst on my back, better on my
side. But if I go to sleep on my side I roll over easily onto my back.
Seems what's needed is:
1) Some mattress that is soft

maybe you should first ascertain exactly why you are snoring.

Snoring is due to some obstruction of the airways, in just the same
way that reeds and other protuberances into the air passage of a
musical wind instrument (or an organ) make a noise. You need to
discover exactly what is obstructing your airways. It may be more
than one thing.

Standard & easy medical diagnosis is that excess weight means there is
excess flab somewhere in the airways. That gets the patient out of
the surgery door fast but doesn't necessarily solve the problem.

A more careful and perceptive investigation would look for signs of
secretions (discharge) from chronic infection or allergies etc into
the airways. These can obstruct vents into cavity entrances (eg the
sinuses). These secretions may manifest anywhere between a clear
watery fluid to very viscuous material which dries very quickly and
bungs up the airways. (Many people refer to the latter as 'catarrh'
but others use that word differently.)

Infections which may cause the problem may be streptococcus;
staphylococcus aureus (from which MRSA evolved); various funguses and
yeast plus other bugs and viruses. Nasal polyps are another type of
obstruction which can cause difficult nasal breathing and snoring.

S aureus in particular can bung up the nose with quite solid yellow
mucus debris (aureus is latin for 'golden') which may in practice be
discoloured to anything from yellow through green to brown by
contamination and oxidisation.

Once you have learnt to recognise a snore caused by s aureus it is
easy to spot. Last year I had the pleasure of flying overnight to the
far east with a loud snoring passenger in the cabin who was obviously
suffering from a severe infection of S aureus. The bug can dig itself
in quite deeply into the nasal membranes & long and intensive anti-
biotic (flucloxacillin not amoxicillin) treatment may be called for.
If at all possible s aureus should be eliminated before it digs itself
in deeper and causes other problems like rhinitis, sinusitis etc.

Snorers who suspect an infection - especially if coloured mucus is in
evidence - should insist on a microbiological test.

It is possible that just losing weight will shrink the area bugs can
colonise and possibly makes the healthier membranes a less easy
target. Strep infections often pass over quickly and leave at worst a
mild cough which goes away after a few weeks. But if the cause is s
aureus that needs fixing fast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:56:29 +0000, mogga wrote:

Have snorers found any solutions e.g. with memory foam like Tempur?

Septoplasty. Twice. First one worked for 6 months and the second has
worked so far. (8 months)

Cheaper, with only a minor side effect that has caused no complaints from
patients, is clingfilm.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:56:29 +0000, mogga wrote:

Have snorers found any solutions e.g. with memory foam like Tempur?

Septoplasty. Twice. First one worked for 6 months and the second has
worked so far. (8 months)

Cheaper, with only a minor side effect that has caused no complaints from
patients, is clingfilm.

OK - so it's cheaper (than Septoplasty?). But what the hell do you do
with it? Kill the snorer by wrapping it round their heads/faces?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:56:29 +0000, mogga wrote:

Have snorers found any solutions e.g. with memory foam like Tempur?
Septoplasty. Twice. First one worked for 6 months and the second has
worked so far. (8 months)

Cheaper, with only a minor side effect that has caused no complaints
from patients, is clingfilm.

OK - so it's cheaper (than Septoplasty?). But what the hell do you do
with it? Kill the snorer by wrapping it round their heads/faces?

I think that's the implication. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

first-fix wrote:

maybe you should first ascertain exactly why you are snoring.

If we are getting seriously medical, then have a look he

Snoring as the presenting feature of hypothyroidism.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2426872

(There are many, many more papers discussing the association.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sla#s" wrote:
Bruce wrote:
SNIP
I spent a fortune on a genuine Tempur mattress and was very
disappointed with it. Previously, I had a top brand pocketed spring
mattress that was much more comfortable and supportive, and that
didn't make me sweat like the Tempur did.

Agreed - I tried one and ended up swapping it to the spare room! I went back
to my old - far too old - Dunlopillo one.

I have had two Dunlopillo mattresses over the years. Without any doubt,
they were the finest and most comfortable I ever slept on, until I
bought a pocketed spring mattress. Dunlopillo mattresses are also made
of foam, but it isn't the memory type, and they don't make you sweat any
more than a conventional spring mattress does.

Expensive, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the medical information. To reply - yes, I'm hypothyroid,
but take thyroxin which should breing me back to somewhere like normal
in theory - or is this the case? It's well controlled.

I also have an obstruction in my nose - I think the partition is bent
or something - so I mouth breathe at night. I probably could nose
breathe but mouth breathing is just a habit now.

I also have sinus problems - particularly post nasal drip. I don't
know whether s aureus is anything to do with that. I should ask my
GP.

andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Eusebius wrote:
Thanks for the medical information. To reply - yes, I'm hypothyroid,
but take thyroxin which should breing me back to somewhere like normal
in theory - or is this the case? It's well controlled.

I also have an obstruction in my nose - I think the partition is bent
or something - so I mouth breathe at night. I probably could nose
breathe but mouth breathing is just a habit now.

I also have sinus problems - particularly post nasal drip. I don't
know whether s aureus is anything to do with that. I should ask my
GP.

andy

Are you *sure* your thyroid level is well controlled?

Post nasal drip is another classic hypothyroid symptom!

Suggest you make sure you have your actual test results (TSH and FT4, if
possible) including reference ranges. Maybe use the contact form on
Thyroid UK and ask their opinion? (URL in my sig.) Or visit
alt.support.thyroid.

PS - I am overweight, have elevated TSH (but not enough for
diagnosis/treatment) and have several symptoms which are common in
hypothyroidism. And partner was *severely* hypothyroid when diagnosed. I
snore! I mouth breathe too often! And I tried a memory foam mattress topper.

Getting severely OT here. You are welcome to email me off group.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:

Thanks for the medical information. To reply - yes, I'm hypothyroid,
but take thyroxin which should breing me back to somewhere like normal
in theory - or is this the case? It's well controlled.

I'm not a medic, and have no personal experience of hypothyroidism, so I
cannot comment. But Rod has posted something further down (or up?) the
thread that might be of interest to you.

I also have an obstruction in my nose - I think the partition is bent
or something - so I mouth breathe at night. I probably could nose
breathe but mouth breathing is just a habit now.

That's called a "deviated septum" where the septum is the gristly thing
that keeps the nostrils separate. I had the same problem but a
septoplasty cured it; I also had the turbinates reduced which eases the
air flow through the sinuses. Very worthwhile.

I also have sinus problems - particularly post nasal drip. I don't
know whether s aureus is anything to do with that. I should ask my
GP.

Or ask your GP to refer to you an ENT specialist (ear, nose & throat).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or ask your GP to refer to you an ENT specialist (ear, nose & throat).

She did. He looked up my sinuses. Gave me some nose douche with salt
water to take at home. Referred me to a sleep clinic for sleep apneoa
- waiting list. No mention of S. Aureus.

andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sla#s wrote:
Bruce wrote:
SNIP
I spent a fortune on a genuine Tempur mattress and was very
disappointed with it. Previously, I had a top brand pocketed spring
mattress that was much more comfortable and supportive, and that
didn't make me sweat like the Tempur did.

Agreed - I tried one and ended up swapping it to the spare room! I went
back to my old - far too old - Dunlopillo one.

As for expensive beds - See Penn & Teller's 'Bull****' program on Sleep
Inc, it is very instructive as to what bed to choose :-).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1260545/

It is episode 5 of season 6
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4347..._(Episodes_1-5)

As for snoring - try the nose openers you see advertised on TV.

Slatts

We've been sleeping on simple foam (not memory) squabs for about 25
years. This is the most comfortable mattress both of us have ever
experienced. Cheap too. When I see the TV ads for complex and
extravagantly-priced mattresses I laugh. There must be one born every
minute.