Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Default advice on odd tap problem

Hi all

Just fitted x2 new basin taps in the bathroom. Never done it before but
it was fairly straightforward and the first one, the hot tap, went on
and it worked no problem. Tried the cold tap using the same method but
when it was all connected up the tap runs when it is 'off' and not when
it is 'on'. Could we have done anything wrong or is it a faulty unit? We
double-checked all the connections and I can't really see what we could
have done that would explain it so I'm guessing it is the tap.

Any advice gratefully received.

thanks
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bob" wrote in message
Hi all

Just fitted x2 new basin taps in the bathroom. Never done it before but it
was fairly straightforward and the first one, the hot tap, went on and it
worked no problem. Tried the cold tap using the same method but when it
was all connected up the tap runs when it is 'off' and not when it is
'on'. Could we have done anything wrong or is it a faulty unit? We
double-checked all the connections and I can't really see what we could
have done that would explain it so I'm guessing it is the tap.

Any advice gratefully received.

thanks
Bob

Just take the lever off and put it on the way round that suits you.

You may have to swap the taps over if you want to get the levers resting in
the together or apart directions (the 'H' and 'C' markers should be
swappable.).

Incidentally - readers - is the tap normally supposed to be on with the
lever in line with the spout, or at right angles?
In the bath, right angles gives a handy foot rest when off, but
aesthetically, having them in line seems better!

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bob" wrote in message
Hi all

Just fitted x2 new basin taps in the bathroom. Never done it before but it
was fairly straightforward and the first one, the hot tap, went on and it
worked no problem. Tried the cold tap using the same method but when it
was all connected up the tap runs when it is 'off' and not when it is
'on'. Could we have done anything wrong or is it a faulty unit? We
double-checked all the connections and I can't really see what we could
have done that would explain it so I'm guessing it is the tap.

Any advice gratefully received.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. If it is a 'normal' tap then it
is usually turned on anti clockwise when looking from above the head. Are
you saying one turns on anti clockwise and one clockwise?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
Hi all

Just fitted x2 new basin taps in the bathroom. Never done it before but
it was fairly straightforward and the first one, the hot tap, went on and
it worked no problem. Tried the cold tap using the same method but when
it was all connected up the tap runs when it is 'off' and not when it is
'on'. Could we have done anything wrong or is it a faulty unit? We
double-checked all the connections and I can't really see what we could
have done that would explain it so I'm guessing it is the tap.

Any advice gratefully received.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. If it is a 'normal' tap then
it is usually turned on anti clockwise when looking from above the head.
Are you saying one turns on anti clockwise and one clockwise?

John

Yes - we need to know - are they quarter turn taps, disc valve taps - or
conventional taps with a screw and washer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

John wrote:
"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your reply. Not sure what the terminology is but you turn it
a quarter turn to turn it on/off and it has a lever rather than a
'handle'. It is a modern design rather than a traditional one. On the
hot tap it is off when the lever and the spout aligns, which is how it
should be. It is the reverse on the hot tap - the water is running when
the lever and spout align and not running when they are perpendicular.
They both turn in different directions, ie, both away from the centre of
the basin.

Spamlet suggests removing the lever and putting it on a different way,
but then the C (for cold - which is etched into the chrome) will be the
wrong way round.

thanks again
Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
Hi all

Just fitted x2 new basin taps in the bathroom. Never done it before but
it was fairly straightforward and the first one, the hot tap, went on and
it worked no problem. Tried the cold tap using the same method but when
it was all connected up the tap runs when it is 'off' and not when it is
'on'. Could we have done anything wrong or is it a faulty unit? We
double-checked all the connections and I can't really see what we could
have done that would explain it so I'm guessing it is the tap.

Any advice gratefully received.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. If it is a 'normal' tap then
it is usually turned on anti clockwise when looking from above the head.
Are you saying one turns on anti clockwise and one clockwise?

John

Yes: levers would look silly if you had one pointing in and the other out so
they come in pairs. But as the 'H' and 'C' 'buttons' normally seem to
unscrew you can have them arranged whichever way you like - excepting of
course that if you do have 'two rights' or 'lefts', and start with the
levers pointing in, one will be on, pointing backwards and the other
forwards.

When I fitted our bath levers (a doddle with speedfit these days: and a huge
improvement on the impossible to turn with wet soapy hands 'designer, very
expensive' mixer taps we had before!), they - without any particular
attention from me - ended up with the taps turning on outwards from the in
line with the faucet position. I have toyed with the idea of swapping them
over to see what they look like turning on inwards. Depending on your
particular constraints of walls and bath (ours is a corner bath for example,
which means if we have the taps parallel one stream will drop directly into
the bath while the other will hit the side...) you may find a lever fouls
the wall, or similar such problem, so you have to choose the lever and tap
positions that are appropriate.

Time for a long soak I think...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I assumed he meant lever: can't imagine a screw tap turning off when
open - except when the washer becomes detached and then it would either not
turn on at all, or, not turn off once it had.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bob" wrote in message
John wrote:
"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
[...]

One handle is on the wrong way round.
Remove whichever on is incorrect and put back on 90 degrees out onto the
shaft

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

bob wrote:
John wrote:
"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
[...]

Is the Hot on the left? Or the right?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bob wrote:
John wrote:
"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
[...]

What about turning the lever on the hot to match the cold? Would the 'H'
then be the wrong way around? Bearing in mind an upside down 'H' looks just
like a right way up 'H' :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bob" wrote in message
John wrote:
"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
[...]

Look carefully: you should see a small screw or allen screw at the back of
the lever somewhere that you can loosen to lift the lever off its shaft.
Alternatively, you may find it is a simple push fit. When you put it back
in the new position be sure to align the splines (teeth) of the lever and
spindle properly and not force it. In our case one of the levers does go
slightly past parallel with the faucet while off, but not so much as most
people would notice. The point being that if I had tried to force the cover
on in the exactly parallel position I would have damaged the splines.

Hard to see how you can get an etched in H the right way round yet have the
C the same way round and it not work correctly if it is from a proper pair.
Are you sure the letters are actually etched into the lever moulding, rather
than on an unscrewable plate that is flush with that moulding? (If so, you
may find that gripping the top carefully with a rubber glove will help you
unscrew it.)

One other possibility is if you have the tap bodies themselves at different
angles - for example, fitted to either side of the basin rather than both at
the back. If that is the case then you really will need to find a pair with
moveable lettering if you want the letters to be the right way up from the
front but both turn on the same way.

Interesting how many ways round such a simple thing can be!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
bob wrote:
John wrote:
"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, but a sideways one is an 'I'; or a 'U'

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bob" wrote in message

Spamlet suggests removing the lever and putting it on a different way, but
then the C (for cold - which is etched into the chrome) will be the wrong
way round.

But, assuming they are capital letters, the 'H' wont be, if turned 180
degrees.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Rod wrote:
bob wrote:
John wrote:
"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
[...]

Hot left, cold right

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

bob wrote:
Rod wrote:
bob wrote:
John wrote:
"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
[...]

Oh well - that puts paid to any theories based on you fitting them the
'wrong' way round.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message m...

What about turning the lever on the hot to match the cold? Would
the 'H' then be the wrong way around? Bearing in mind an upside
down 'H' looks just like a right way up 'H' :-)

I said that!!

But I said it 32 mins earlier - according to OE6 anyway :-)

Great minds think alike :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:

Yes: levers would look silly if you had one pointing in and the other
out so they come in pairs. But as the 'H' and 'C' 'buttons' normally
seem to unscrew you can have them arranged whichever way you like -
excepting of course that if you do have 'two rights' or 'lefts', and
start with the levers pointing in, one will be on, pointing backwards
and the other forwards.

I did come across a 'pair' like that a while ago e.g. they wern't 'handed'.
Returned them to plunmbers shop for exchange to find all his stock like it!
Not sure of exactly how, but they managed to covert one somehow.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk