Posted to uk.d-i-y
RW[_4_] RW[_4_] is offline

Default advice on odd tap problem

"bob" wrote in message
John wrote:
"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
Hi all

Just fitted x2 new basin taps in the bathroom. Never done it before but
it was fairly straightforward and the first one, the hot tap, went on
and it worked no problem. Tried the cold tap using the same method but
when it was all connected up the tap runs when it is 'off' and not when
it is 'on'. Could we have done anything wrong or is it a faulty unit?
We double-checked all the connections and I can't really see what we
could have done that would explain it so I'm guessing it is the tap.

Any advice gratefully received.
Not sure I understand what you are saying. If it is a 'normal' tap then
it is usually turned on anti clockwise when looking from above the head.
Are you saying one turns on anti clockwise and one clockwise?

John

Yes - we need to know - are they quarter turn taps, disc valve taps - or
conventional taps with a screw and washer?

Thanks for your reply. Not sure what the terminology is but you turn it a
quarter turn to turn it on/off and it has a lever rather than a 'handle'.
It is a modern design rather than a traditional one. On the hot tap it is
off when the lever and the spout aligns, which is how it should be. It is
the reverse on the hot tap - the water is running when the lever and spout
align and not running when they are perpendicular. They both turn in
different directions, ie, both away from the centre of the basin.

Spamlet suggests removing the lever and putting it on a different way, but
then the C (for cold - which is etched into the chrome) will be the wrong
way round.

One handle is on the wrong way round.
Remove whichever on is incorrect and put back on 90 degrees out onto the
shaft