Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default advice on odd tap problem

bob wrote:
John wrote:
"John" wrote in message
"bob" wrote in message
Hi all

Just fitted x2 new basin taps in the bathroom. Never done it
before but it was fairly straightforward and the first one, the
hot tap, went on and it worked no problem. Tried the cold tap
using the same method but when it was all connected up the tap
runs when it is 'off' and not when it is 'on'. Could we have done
anything wrong or is it a faulty unit? We double-checked all the
connections and I can't really see what we could have done that
would explain it so I'm guessing it is the tap. Any advice gratefully
received.
Not sure I understand what you are saying. If it is a 'normal' tap
then it is usually turned on anti clockwise when looking from above
the head. Are you saying one turns on anti clockwise and one
clockwise? John

Yes - we need to know - are they quarter turn taps, disc valve taps
- or conventional taps with a screw and washer?

Thanks for your reply. Not sure what the terminology is but you turn
it a quarter turn to turn it on/off and it has a lever rather than a
'handle'. It is a modern design rather than a traditional one. On the
hot tap it is off when the lever and the spout aligns, which is how it
should be. It is the reverse on the hot tap - the water is running
when the lever and spout align and not running when they are
perpendicular. They both turn in different directions, ie, both away
from the centre of the basin.

Spamlet suggests removing the lever and putting it on a different way,
but then the C (for cold - which is etched into the chrome) will be
the wrong way round.

What about turning the lever on the hot to match the cold? Would the 'H'
then be the wrong way around? Bearing in mind an upside down 'H' looks just
like a right way up 'H' :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk