Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas bayonet fitting

I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven.
The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can
simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be used
or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really

JC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bald eagle coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven.
The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can
simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be
used or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really

JC

Yes - they are designed to be "user removable". But give it a sniff
afterwards just to make sure it's not leaking.

I'm not sure on the implications of making it "not accessible" though. I
would have thought getting it capped off permanently would be better - but
I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to give a better opinion.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:07:59 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Bald eagle coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven.
The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can
simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be
used or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really

JC

Yes - they are designed to be "user removable". But give it a sniff
afterwards just to make sure it's not leaking.

I'm not sure on the implications of making it "not accessible" though. I
would have thought getting it capped off permanently would be better - but
I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to give a better opinion.

Cheers

Tim

Recently I got one of these fitting cut off and capped .I thought that
was the best solution although it hadn't been used for several years
but it was in the way of other things .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bald eagle" wrote in message
I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven.
The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can
simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be
used or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

I rent out a property and the tenent said she could smell gas occasionally.
So we called ot BG (0800 11999) and they came and tested for a keak with a
"guiger counter" type device. It showed a slight leak from the bayonet
fitting. The BG engineer said they were only relly designed for a short
term disconnection i.e. cleaning, decorating, moving out (with a new tenant
moving in ASAP). So he removed it and capped it off as my tenat was using
an electric cooker and had no need for it. I will have to get it replaced
if she ever wants gas cooking or a future tenant does. This may be a load
of twaddle but as they did this for nothing I wasn't arguing.

HTH

John

P.S. Ed Sirret will have lots more experience with these couplings than me!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

Should read 0800 111 999

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bald eagle wrote:
I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven.
The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can
simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be used
or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really

My understanding is they are designed for short term disconnection only,
and hence you should not rely on them for a long term or permanent
disconnection.

It would certainly not be a good idea to box in or make inaccessible.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:57:56 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Bald eagle wrote:
I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven.
The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can
simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be used
or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really

My understanding is they are designed for short term disconnection only,
and hence you should not rely on them for a long term or permanent
disconnection.

ISTR that bayonet fittings were used regularly for gas pokers,
frequently disconnected - close to an open fire... !

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bald eagle wrote:
I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven.
The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can
simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be used
or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really

My understanding is they are designed for short term disconnection only,
and hence you should not rely on them for a long term or permanent
disconnection.

So what happens to them if left without a connection to a cooker ? If
they start leaking then how does that happen .I know I have seen
suggestions that when disconnected they should be covered with a
plastic bag or similar to stop dirt getting in which is sensible .

As I said mine was disconnected for years and I wasn't aware of any
problem .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

My understanding is they are designed for short term disconnection only,
and hence you should not rely on them for a long term or permanent
disconnection.

Glad this has been mentioned. When I put my new one in, I'll add an
isolating cock upstream.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:44:28 -0000, "John"
wrote:

"Bald eagle" wrote in message
[...]

Yes it's a load of twaddle.
The bayonet connector was faulty. Could have been replaced but as he
capped it for nowt and it isn't used no harm done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bald eagle wrote:
I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven.
The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can
simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be used
or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really

My understanding is they are designed for short term disconnection only,
and hence you should not rely on them for a long term or permanent
disconnection.

It would certainly not be a good idea to box in or make inaccessible.

If they were designed for short term disconnection they would have
isolation valves behind them. I recall the old gas taps in my parent's
house being replaced by these in the 60s. Most of the gas points in
the house were never used and were still there in 1994 when my mother
died and the house was sold. Hardly good practise to replace something
known as safe to leave disconnected with something that was 'known' to
be unsafe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bald eagle" wrote in message
I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven.
The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can
simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be

used
or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really

JC

The cooker bayonet fitting is designed for long term disconnection and does
not require any gas cock before it. so no problem there.

However, the chances are very high that the bayonet fitting is secured to
the
pipework by compression nut and olive. If that is the case then this must
be easily accessible, if not accessible then you should be looking to cap
off the pipe in an appropriate manner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bald eagle wrote:
[...]

Standards and regulations do change.

I would assume it to be at least good practice to not rely on a bayonet for
an indefinite period (knowing what we do now about safety)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

Bald eagle wrote:
I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven.
The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can
simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be used
or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really

My understanding is they are designed for short term disconnection only,
and hence you should not rely on them for a long term or permanent
disconnection.

ISTR that bayonet fittings were used regularly for gas pokers,
frequently disconnected - close to an open fire... !

Well you wouldn't (usually) want a gas poker a long way from the fire,
would you? :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:14:50 -0000, "Heliotrope Smith"
wrote:

"Bald eagle" wrote in message
I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven.
The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can
simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be

used
or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really

JC

The cooker bayonet fitting is designed for long term disconnection and does
not require any gas cock before it. so no problem there.

So now we have a difference of opinion ..Who is right?

However, the chances are very high that the bayonet fitting is secured to
the
pipework by compression nut and olive. If that is the case then this must
be easily accessible, if not accessible then you should be looking to cap
off the pipe in an appropriate manner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:22:48 -0000, "John"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Bald eagle wrote:
[...]

If they are considered dangerous there needs to be a national
advertising campaign to alert the public to the dangers and a
government backed process to have them all replaced. Wonder why that
has never happened? Could it be that the majority of such connectors
are the same as the one sitting unused in my kitchen with the
probability of a fault no worse than on any other gas fitting?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Alang
writes
I would assume it to be at least good practice to not rely on a bayonet for
an indefinite period (knowing what we do now about safety)

If they are considered dangerous there needs to be a national
advertising campaign to alert the public to the dangers and a
government backed process to have them all replaced. Wonder why that
has never happened? Could it be that the majority of such connectors
are the same as the one sitting unused in my kitchen with the
probability of a fault no worse than on any other gas fitting?

the cost ?

There are so many things that need campaigns - think about roof slates
for example - walk along any shop fronted high street an look and see
how many displaced / loose tiles you see

So many other examples

National campaigns cost money and governments tend to be reactive not
pre-emptive

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Bald eagle" wrote in message
[...]

#

I have looked at a couple of gas fitting books (incl. Essential Gas
Safety) and AFAICT there is nothing that requires the removal of a
bayonet outlet when no longer in use.

It might well be that they are intended to be used for short term
disconnection and it might well be that they can be the source of some
minor leaks (as they also can be even when in use).

IME they are usually a screwed joint to the pipework, which is usually
achieved with a wall plate elbow if the supply is in copper pipe.

The main issues, ISTM would be
1) Does the old bayonet outlet get in the way of the new appliance (quite
likely).
2) Peace of mind.
3) If the fitting is to be in accessible then, I would certainly not want
a bayonet outlet hidden a way, not with standing that there most likely
will be a compression joint involved and then MUST not become
inaccessible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff coughed up some electrons that declared:

In message , Alang
writes
I would assume it to be at least good practice to not rely on a bayonet
for an indefinite period (knowing what we do now about safety)

If they are considered dangerous there needs to be a national
advertising campaign to alert the public to the dangers and a
government backed process to have them all replaced. Wonder why that
has never happened? Could it be that the majority of such connectors
are the same as the one sitting unused in my kitchen with the
probability of a fault no worse than on any other gas fitting?

the cost ?

Unfortunately that didn't stop Part P and a host of other unnecessary
********.

There are so many things that need campaigns - think about roof slates
for example - walk along any shop fronted high street an look and see
how many displaced / loose tiles you see

So many other examples

National campaigns cost money and governments tend to be reactive not
pre-emptive

"Roof tile falls on MP's dog"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:28:52 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Alang
writes
I would assume it to be at least good practice to not rely on a bayonet for
an indefinite period (knowing what we do now about safety)

If they are considered dangerous there needs to be a national
advertising campaign to alert the public to the dangers and a
government backed process to have them all replaced. Wonder why that
has never happened? Could it be that the majority of such connectors
are the same as the one sitting unused in my kitchen with the
probability of a fault no worse than on any other gas fitting?

the cost ?

Or there is no danger

There are so many things that need campaigns - think about roof slates
for example - walk along any shop fronted high street an look and see
how many displaced / loose tiles you see

None on our high street

So many other examples

National campaigns cost money and governments tend to be reactive not
pre-emptive

So if there had been any problems the government would have reacted.
Since they haven't reacted there cannot be any problems

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:21:35 +0000, Tim S wrote:

geoff coughed up some electrons that declared:

In message , Alang
writes
I would assume it to be at least good practice to not rely on a bayonet
for an indefinite period (knowing what we do now about safety)

If they are considered dangerous there needs to be a national
advertising campaign to alert the public to the dangers and a
government backed process to have them all replaced. Wonder why that
has never happened? Could it be that the majority of such connectors
are the same as the one sitting unused in my kitchen with the
probability of a fault no worse than on any other gas fitting?

the cost ?

Unfortunately that didn't stop Part P and a host of other unnecessary
********.

The rot set in with the windows. Could easily have been sorted by
banning the sale of non approved glazing units

There are so many things that need campaigns - think about roof slates
for example - walk along any shop fronted high street an look and see
how many displaced / loose tiles you see

So many other examples

National campaigns cost money and governments tend to be reactive not
pre-emptive

"Roof tile falls on MP's dog"

Roof falls on MP
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Alang
writes
[...]

emu falls off roof

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Alang
writes
[...]

Following a windy storm some time ago where I must have seen half a
dozen smashed on the pavement, I've started noticing them on my way to
work, ... there are enough

"not our problem" says the LA, "it's the property owners'
responsibilities

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Alang
writes
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:20:20 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Alang
writes
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:21:35 +0000, Tim S wrote:

There are so many things that need campaigns - think about roof slates
for example - walk along any shop fronted high street an look and see
how many displaced / loose tiles you see

So many other examples

National campaigns cost money and governments tend to be reactive not
pre-emptive

"Roof tile falls on MP's dog"

Roof falls on MP

emu falls off roof

Onto MP?

shock horror - rooves to be outlawed

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:09:36 +0000, Alang
wrote:

Roof falls on MP

Chance would be a fine thing...
(on my MP anyway).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:55:38 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Alang
writes
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:20:20 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Alang
writes
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:21:35 +0000, Tim S wrote:

There are so many things that need campaigns - think about roof slates
for example - walk along any shop fronted high street an look and see
how many displaced / loose tiles you see

So many other examples

National campaigns cost money and governments tend to be reactive not
pre-emptive

"Roof tile falls on MP's dog"

Roof falls on MP

emu falls off roof

Onto MP?

shock horror - rooves to be outlawed

Tiles or slates maybe. Would be no dafter than any of the other stuff
they've done
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff writes:
There are so many things that need campaigns - think about roof slates
for example - walk along any shop fronted high street an look and see
how many displaced / loose tiles you see

The one that made me smile was that one of the worst offenders
in Fleet was Travis Perkins building itself, with many slipped
and missing slates! You would think they know a man or two...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Alang
writes
I would assume it to be at least good practice to not rely on a bayonet
for
an indefinite period (knowing what we do now about safety)

If they are considered dangerous there needs to be a national
advertising campaign to alert the public to the dangers and a
government backed process to have them all replaced. Wonder why that
has never happened? Could it be that the majority of such connectors
are the same as the one sitting unused in my kitchen with the
probability of a fault no worse than on any other gas fitting?

the cost ?

There are so many things that need campaigns - think about roof slates for
example - walk along any shop fronted high street an look and see how many
displaced / loose tiles you see

So many other examples

Maxie, I think the HSE man can insist that tiles are fixed. All he needs do
is walk down the High St, note, and contact the owners. If they do not
respond, the Council can step in, do the work and charge. If they do not pay
then court proceedings to get the money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:56:29 +0000, me9 wrote:

On 29 Dec,
Ed Sirett wrote:

3) If the fitting is to be in accessible then, I would certainly not
want a bayonet outlet hidden a way, not with standing that there most
likely will be a compression joint involved and then MUST not become
inaccessible.

Just checked the connection to my tumble drier. Bayonet outlet (1/2"bsp
from !/2"BSP to soldered (not sure if solder ring or end feed) onto 15mm
Cu. Not a compression in sight, apart from an old 22mm tee about 4m
nearer the meter.

But that would be the exception to the rule.

Bayonet ID Ignoramus21192 Metalworking 92 June 12th 08 02:39 PM
Bayonet ID hammurabbit Metalworking 0 June 12th 08 01:01 AM
Fluidmaster bayonet mount mm Home Repair 2 January 23rd 07 04:47 AM
Bayonet gas cooker connection Grumps UK diy 4 December 5th 05 09:28 PM
Bayonet lampholder for outside lantern? Mike Abbott UK diy 5 February 13th 05 10:15 PM