Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Gas bayonet fitting

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:49:07 +0000, fictitious wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:14:50 -0000, "Heliotrope Smith"
wrote:

"Bald eagle" wrote in message
I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric
oven. The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that
I can simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It
won't be

used
or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really

JC

The cooker bayonet fitting is designed for long term disconnection and
does not require any gas cock before it. so no problem there.

So now we have a difference of opinion ..Who is right?

However, the chances are very high that the bayonet fitting is secured
to the
pipework by compression nut and olive. If that is the case then this
must be easily accessible, if not accessible then you should be looking
to cap off the pipe in an appropriate manner.

#

I have looked at a couple of gas fitting books (incl. Essential Gas
Safety) and AFAICT there is nothing that requires the removal of a
bayonet outlet when no longer in use.

It might well be that they are intended to be used for short term
disconnection and it might well be that they can be the source of some
minor leaks (as they also can be even when in use).

IME they are usually a screwed joint to the pipework, which is usually
achieved with a wall plate elbow if the supply is in copper pipe.

The main issues, ISTM would be
1) Does the old bayonet outlet get in the way of the new appliance (quite
likely).
2) Peace of mind.
3) If the fitting is to be in accessible then, I would certainly not want
a bayonet outlet hidden a way, not with standing that there most likely
will be a compression joint involved and then MUST not become
inaccessible.