Mike Abbott

Default Bayonet lampholder for outside lantern?

Excuse my ignorance on this one...

I'm 'refurbishing' an old external porch light. It's traditional metal
lantern style, open bottom, glass leaded light panels in the sides. The
porch itself is open, but the lantern is ceiling mounted, so the latern is
not directly exposed to the weather.

It had been fitted with a standard 240v bayonet bulb - and what appears to
be 'hard brown plastic' lampholder - the internals of which have rusted
away.

Can anyone tell me if there is an appropriate type of lampholder to use in
this outside application?

Thanks,

Mike A.

nick smith

I would consider a Brass and porcelain item with screws as opposed to knife
edge cable contacts / restraints

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:15:18 +0000, Mike Abbott wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there is an appropriate type of lampholder to use in
this outside application?

Almost anything - brass and ceramic, or a new plastic one. Any
electrical supplier (TLC et al) will be able to help. There are a few
fairly standard base mounts, but take the fitting along and I'm sure
you'll find something.

But use bayonet, not screw (i.e. don't buy it at Ikea). Screw
lampholders have atendency to unscrew from thermal effects. This is
particularly bad with outside lights.

Can anyone tell me if there is an appropriate type of lampholder to
use in
this outside application?

Andy hit the hail on the ned: anything bayonet. If you were going to
use over 100w though, I'd look at ceramic.

NT

Mike

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:15:18 +0000, Mike Abbott wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there is an appropriate type of lampholder to use

in
this outside application?

Almost anything - brass and ceramic, or a new plastic one. Any
electrical supplier (TLC et al) will be able to help. There are a few
fairly standard base mounts, but take the fitting along and I'm sure
you'll find something.

But use bayonet, not screw (i.e. don't buy it at Ikea). Screw
lampholders have atendency to unscrew from thermal effects. This is
particularly bad with outside lights.

I totally agree with you but recently almost all the available brands in the
sheds or my mail order seem to come with ES.