Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Gas bayonet fitting

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:57:56 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Bald eagle wrote:
I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven.
The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can
simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be used
or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really

My understanding is they are designed for short term disconnection only,
and hence you should not rely on them for a long term or permanent
disconnection.

ISTR that bayonet fittings were used regularly for gas pokers,
frequently disconnected - close to an open fire... !

Well you wouldn't (usually) want a gas poker a long way from the fire,
would you? :-)

--
Rod

onset.