Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default vacuum cleaner motor reversal?

I have a few duff vacuum cleaners, two of them I've been trying to make one
decent one out of, but never completed, and another one which is too far
gone to do anything with, anyhoo, I have a lot of vacuum spares knocking
about.
I'm not too sparkling on electronics, but I remember years ago that our old
hoover used to go on 'blow' instead of suck at the flick of a switch,
someone told me that if you wire a motor in the opposite way, IE connect
live to neutral and netral to live, it spins in the opposite direction,
although I've not tried it.
My idea is to make a minature blowing machine of some kind, for various jobs
and just for ****ing about with, so if I reverse the connections around in
the motor, will it do as I want and start blowing or will it just blow up? -
I'm not too bothered if it does the latter as I've got quite a few, also, do
I need to make this connection at the motor end or can I just reverse the
wires in the plug?

Or is it a non starter?

TIA

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes

It is, as they say, a total load of ********

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
[...]

It hasn't occurred to you that a motor that sucks also blows out of the
other end? Isn't it easier to just point the existing exit at whatever you
want to blow at?
--
Dave Baker
Hi I'm Larry. This is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
I have a few duff vacuum cleaners, two of them I've been trying to make one
decent one out of, but never completed, and another one which is too far
gone to do anything with, anyhoo, I have a lot of vacuum spares knocking
about.
I'm not too sparkling on electronics, but I remember years ago that our
old hoover used to go on 'blow' instead of suck at the flick of a switch,

Never seen one like that (outside of cartoons anyway). On our old cylinder
machine you just connected the hose to the opposite end of the machine if
you wanted blow instead of suck.

someone told me that if you wire a motor in the opposite way, IE connect
live to neutral and netral to live, it spins in the opposite direction,

Given that we're on AC now I don't suppose this would make a great deal of
difference. If they ever did reverse at the flick of a switch, the switch
must have been doing more than swapping live & neutral.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:35:01 -0000, Tim Downie wrote:

If they ever did reverse at the flick of a switch, the switch must have
been doing more than swapping live & neutral.

What does make a universal or induction motor always start and run the
same way?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
[...]

Most vacuum cleaners use series wound motors and to reverse those you need
to get inside it and reverse the connections to the field windings. Which
may not be possible with a sealed design. Other possibility is to reverse
the fan on its spindle.

Swapping the plug connections won't do anything - the mains does just this
100 times a second...

--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:35:01 -0000, Tim Downie wrote:

If they ever did reverse at the flick of a switch, the switch must have
been doing more than swapping live & neutral.

What does make a universal or induction motor always start and run the
same way?

Universal and induction motors are two completly different beasts

universal's are basically a dc motor, direction is hard wired in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...iversal_motors

induction motors have some sort of start circuit that determines direction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_motor

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Dec, 00:59, "Phil L" wrote:

someone told me that if you wire a motor in the opposite way, IE connect
live to neutral and netral to live, it spins in the opposite direction,

Wrong, although if it has brushes with a commutator it's a
"universal" (AC/DC) motor and swapping some simple internal
connections will do this. Too difficult to explain in ASCII, but I'm
sure web searching will turn it up. Purely AC motors won't reverse
(for simple levels of fiddling).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
[...]

Wouldnt work. Even if you did contrive to reverse the motor direction, all
vacuums use at least a 1 stage, often 2 or 3 stage centrifugal fan which
just doesnt work rotated the other way!

Tim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote on 17/12/2008 :
connect live to
neutral and netral to live, it spins in the opposite direction, although I've
not tried it.

Doing that will make nil difference to the direction. Only swapping one
of either the field coils or brush connections will change the motors
direction.

Even if you get the motor spinning backwards, many of the designs seem
to be a semi centrifugal design compressor, so it will probably not
make much difference to the air flow direction.

My idea is to make a minature blowing machine of some kind, for various jobs
and just for ****ing about with, so if I reverse the connections around in
the motor, will it do as I want and start blowing or will it just blow up? -

They do already blow, at the opposite end to the end they suck. Could
you perhaps modify the output end to accept a pipe?

I'm not too bothered if it does the latter as I've got quite a few, also, do
I need to make this connection at the motor end or can I just reverse the
wires in the plug?

Or is it a non starter?

TIA

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Phil L wrote on 17/12/2008 :
connect live to
neutral and netral to live, it spins in the opposite direction,
although I've not tried it.

Doing that will make nil difference to the direction. Only swapping
one of either the field coils or brush connections will change the
motors direction.

Even if you get the motor spinning backwards, many of the designs seem
to be a semi centrifugal design compressor, so it will probably not
make much difference to the air flow direction.

My idea is to make a minature blowing machine of some kind, for
various jobs and just for ****ing about with, so if I reverse the
connections around in the motor, will it do as I want and start
blowing or will it just blow up? -

They do already blow, at the opposite end to the end they suck. Could
you perhaps modify the output end to accept a pipe?

Dry vac motors are cooled by the inward air blowing over the motor &
exhausting around the periphery of the motor. They do 'blow' but through a
series of small peripheral vents, so its difficult to channel the airflow -
and if its restricted too much it can cause overheat.

Wet/dry vacs discharge air around the periphery or via a tangential tube,
depending on the turbine. Tangential discharge motors are usually only
found on carpet cleaning machines, but they make excellent blowers.

The top picture here http://www.ametekfsm.com/ is a tangential discharge
motor, the second one down is a peripheral discharge.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
"Kevin" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:35:01 -0000, Tim Downie wrote:

If they ever did reverse at the flick of a switch, the switch must have
been doing more than swapping live & neutral.

What does make a universal or induction motor always start and run the
same way?

Universal and induction motors are two completly different beasts

universal's are basically a dc motor, direction is hard wired in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...iversal_motors

induction motors have some sort of start circuit that determines direction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_motor

Strange that, I was only thinking about rotation direction of
synchronous motors half an hour before seeing this thread.

I know in its basic form a synchronous motor will run
in either direction. If anyone doubts this look at the turntable
in any microwave oven, it's 50-50 which way it goes.

Now when electric clocks and timers with syncronous motors
ha

if anyone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

I know in its basic form a synchronous motor will run
in either direction. If anyone doubts this look at the turntable
in any microwave oven, it's 50-50 which way it goes.

Not in any microwave I've seen. Mine always goes anticlockwise (as do most
others I've seen).

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Dec, 12:47, "Graham." wrote:

I know in its basic form a synchronous motor will run
in either direction.

Depends on the type - "synchronous" is just a characteristic of how
fast the motor runs, there are several ways to build them. Most of
these are fixed to go in one direction (either magnetically by
slugging, mechanically with a press-button ('30s clocks),
electrically, or switchably) so as to make them reliably self-
starting. If it's the simplest sort and really doesn't care, then it
needs flick-starting.

Many non-time-critical "synchronous" motors are also not quite
synchronous, as they use a little inbuilt slip to give self-starting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 18 Dec, 12:47, "Graham." wrote:

I know in its basic form a synchronous motor will run
in either direction.

Depends on the type - "synchronous" is just a characteristic of how
fast the motor runs, there are several ways to build them. Most of
these are fixed to go in one direction (either magnetically by
slugging, mechanically with a press-button ('30s clocks),
electrically, or switchably) so as to make them reliably self-
starting. If it's the simplest sort and really doesn't care, then it
needs flick-starting.

Many non-time-critical "synchronous" motors are also not quite
synchronous, as they use a little inbuilt slip to give self-starting.

It's the inbuilt slip, or phase lag, between an induction motor rotor and
the stator which gives rise to the restorative force that cases the motor to
turn - in effect the rotor is always playing "catch up" with the stator. By
definition it is then "synchronous" with the supply, speed control can be
achieved by increasing the number of poles/windings but there is an
underlying synchronism with the supply frequency in there somewhere. At rest
there is maximum phase lag equally in both directions and the forces on the
rotor are balanced - a flick will set it going either way as AD says. A
capacitor is the normal addition - this forces a small phase lag in one
direction when the motor is switched on - it starts to move and the normal
forces take over.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:47:12 -0000, Graham. wrote:

Now when electric clocks and timers with syncronous motors
ha

Some had a mechanical means that wound up a kicked the motor in the
opposite direction if it started backwards.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:
Graham. wrote:

I know in its basic form a synchronous motor will run
in either direction. If anyone doubts this look at the turntable
in any microwave oven, it's 50-50 which way it goes.

Not in any microwave I've seen. Mine always goes anticlockwise (as do most
others I've seen).

Tim

Sharp microwaves go both ways oh er misses

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
Graham. wrote:

I know in its basic form a synchronous motor will run
in either direction. If anyone doubts this look at the turntable
in any microwave oven, it's 50-50 which way it goes.

Not in any microwave I've seen. Mine always goes anticlockwise (as do
most others I've seen).

Tim

Sharp microwaves go both ways oh er misses

So does our Panasonic. First button push, it goes clock wise, start it
again and it goes anti clockwise. Never noticed if it changed direct on
one run though. I'm usually tending to other cook at that time.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice submitted this idea :
Some had a mechanical means that wound up a kicked the motor in the
opposite direction if it started backwards.

A small hairspring within the drive linkage which allowed it to wind
itself up and some sort of pawl to stop it if it tried to go the wrong
way. If on switch on it tried to go the wrong way it would wind the
hairspring up to the point where it would have enough force to spin
itself in the correct direction.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
Graham. wrote:

I know in its basic form a synchronous motor will run
in either direction. If anyone doubts this look at the turntable
in any microwave oven, it's 50-50 which way it goes.
Not in any microwave I've seen. Mine always goes anticlockwise (as
do most others I've seen).

Tim

Sharp microwaves go both ways oh er misses

So does our Panasonic. First button push, it goes clock wise, start it
again and it goes anti clockwise. Never noticed if it changed direct
on one run though. I'm usually tending to other cook at that time.

Same as our Samsung.

Does that make us a sad pair for finding out? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to all who replied, but it looks like a non-starter....I may just
take the motors out and make something completely different, but knowing me,
they'll stay on the shelf in the shed gathering dust until the day I pop my
clogs, when one of my relatives will probably say, 'he was going to do
something with those but never got around to it'.
--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:42:57 GMT, wrote:

On 18 Dec,
"Tim Downie" wrote:

Graham. wrote:

I know in its basic form a synchronous motor will run
in either direction. If anyone doubts this look at the turntable
in any microwave oven, it's 50-50 which way it goes.

Not in any microwave I've seen. Mine always goes anticlockwise (as do most
others I've seen).

All I've had have rotated each time in the opposite direction to the previous
run.

I'd never noticed that until somebody (Huge?) mentioned it a while
back. I had noticed it vary in direction, but assumed it was more or
less random.

Not that I'm a great user of tinywobblers...

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
Graham. wrote:

I know in its basic form a synchronous motor will run
in either direction. If anyone doubts this look at the turntable
in any microwave oven, it's 50-50 which way it goes.

Not in any microwave I've seen. Mine always goes anticlockwise (as
do most others I've seen).

Tim

Sharp microwaves go both ways oh er misses

So does our Panasonic. First button push, it goes clock wise, start it
again and it goes anti clockwise. Never noticed if it changed direct
on one run though. I'm usually tending to other cook at that time.

Clearly I've lead a sheltered life. ;-) Of course we have been using the
same Toshiba microwave for over 20 years (that's been nicked once and
dropped on a building site) so I suppose I shouldn't extrapolate from my
experience.

Anyone using an older microwave?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Downie
writes

Dave wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
Graham. wrote:

I know in its basic form a synchronous motor will run
in either direction. If anyone doubts this look at the turntable
in any microwave oven, it's 50-50 which way it goes.

Not in any microwave I've seen. Mine always goes anticlockwise (as
do most others I've seen).

Tim

Sharp microwaves go both ways oh er misses

So does our Panasonic. First button push, it goes clock wise, start it
again and it goes anti clockwise. Never noticed if it changed direct
on one run though. I'm usually tending to other cook at that time.

Clearly I've lead a sheltered life. ;-) Of course we have been using
the same Toshiba microwave for over 20 years (that's been nicked once
and dropped on a building site) so I suppose I shouldn't extrapolate
from my experience.

Anyone using an older microwave?

I prolly am, mine must be a good 25 years old, still works well, the
only thing I have had to change was the capacitor in the HT (Which got
donated by someone here in UK.d-i-y about 7 years ago)

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 168522 20081218 131843 "Tim Downie" wrote:
Graham. wrote:

I know in its basic form a synchronous motor will run
in either direction. If anyone doubts this look at the turntable
in any microwave oven, it's 50-50 which way it goes.

Not in any microwave I've seen. Mine always goes anticlockwise (as do most
others I've seen).

Tim

Mine reverses direction every time it starts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 168701 20081218 233450 "Tim Downie" wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
Dave wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:
Graham. wrote:

[...]

Only recently replaced a Sharp which was bought in 1982.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Our ~20 y/o Thorn (?) one expired a few weeks ago. (

I had to fasten its replacement down because it skidded about on the worktop
when you push the buttons on the front. It appears to be made of tin foil and
fag packets.

I ended up buying a "Sanyo Professional Kitchen" model because it was
the only one I could find that wasn't made of TFFP.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Dec, 13:33, "Bob Mannix" wrote:

It's the inbuilt slip, or phase lag,

Slip isn't just phase lag, it's a slower speed too. Otherwise you've
built a perpetual motion machine!

Truly synchronous motors have slip when they start from zero speed,
but must have zero slip when running. This does make them more
complicated to manufacture, as they generally require some separate
starting device. OTOH, a simple fan motor can use a slug (a shorted
turn of thick copper around half the winding, inductively producing a
phase lag).

Practice for clocks was often to use manual start buttons. In the GPO
("Class B" clocks?) this "bug" was documented as a "feature". As the
clocks weren't self-starting after a power outage, they would be
obviously stopped rather than just set slow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 18 Dec, 13:33, "Bob Mannix" wrote:

It's the inbuilt slip, or phase lag,

Slip isn't just phase lag, it's a slower speed too. Otherwise you've
built a perpetual motion machine!

Er, no you wouldn't!

Truly synchronous motors have slip when they start from zero speed,
but must have zero slip when running.

They can never have zero phase lag (slip) when running or they wouldn't
turn. The lag causes the force (which constantly tries to get them back in
phase) that causes them to turn. If they were turning with zero phase lag
you might have a perpetual motion machine! This phase lag is naturally there
becasue of the load (at minimum just bearing friction) on the rotor. The
trouble is at rest, when there is no net phase lag in either direction and
therefore no force. Thus an artificial one has to be applied to ensure
starting [in the right direction].

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Dec, 10:45, "Bob Mannix" wrote:

They can never have zero phase lag (slip) when running

They certainly lag by phase, but slip (outside of a 100% efficient
motor) is a reduction in _speed_, not just an equal speed lagging by
constant phase.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:34:50 -0000, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

Clearly I've lead a sheltered life. ;-) Of course we have been using the
same Toshiba microwave for over 20 years

Also a 1987 Toshiba. The turntable starts in either direction but does not
auto-reverse at any time.

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Derek Geldard wrote:
Most vacuum cleaners use series wound motors and to reverse those you
need to get inside it and reverse the connections to the field
windings. Which may not be possible with a sealed design. Other
possibility is to reverse the fan on its spindle.

My experience with model aeroplane propellors tells me that won't
work. ;-) Reversing the motor will.

You're right, of course. I was thinking of fitting a computer fan the
other way round - but of course they're in one with the motor.

If the fan is actually a centrifugal compressor that won't work
either. Neither will reversing the motor.

Indeed.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Baker wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

Many years ago, parents had an Electrolux cylinder cleaner. That had a
connector under the filter/outlet air vent - you could connect the hose
to that. IIRC they actually sold something like a spray gun that was
intended to work like that.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 December 2008 at 18:22:28 UTC+5, Rod wrote:
Dave Baker wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

you can give try to dyson vacuums, they are very sturdy, rugged and robust. easy to handle and low power consumption.
https://findbestvacuums.com/dyson-dc41-review/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That is correct, we had one branded Vactric like this. You just took the
filter off the back end and you had a screw thread you could attach things
too. Its not done these days, for whatever reason. Most are crammed full of
filters which get clogged up and need a good wash or replacing every so
often.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Dave Baker wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reversing the direction of spin of a centrifugal impeller will not reverse
its function. It may just reduce its efficiency.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 09:35, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
That is correct, we had one branded Vactric like this. You just took the
filter off the back end and you had a screw thread you could attach things
too. Its not done these days, for whatever reason. Most are crammed full of
filters which get clogged up and need a good wash or replacing every so
often.
Brian

My parents had a cylinder vac when I was a toddler and passed it on to
me when I bought a house. It must have been over 30 years old when it
gave up (it had been running for years with two blades missing from one
of its impellers - one I removed to balance it up when it lost one).

That vac had the same hose fitting on each end, so switching it to blow
just meant pulling the hose from one end (pull back the release ring and
it just came out) and putting it in the other end, so it took just a
couple of seconds.

No filters to remove - it just had a cloth bag.

Blow was mainly used by us to try and shift something that was stuck in
the hose, but it was actually intended for air powered tools - such as
the spray gun that could be attached to the hose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
Phil L wrote:
[...]

I'm impressed you replied to a 2008 post.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

Blow was mainly used by us to try and shift something that was stuck in
the hose, but it was actually intended for air powered tools - such as
the spray gun that could be attached to the hose.

Yep parents had an electrolux cylinder, there was a never-used spray-gun
attachment with it that used a glass jar, but mainly the blow end was
used to eject sucked-up socks from the hose.