Old December 17th 08, 12:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default vacuum cleaner motor reversal?

I have a few duff vacuum cleaners, two of them I've been trying to make one
decent one out of, but never completed, and another one which is too far
gone to do anything with, anyhoo, I have a lot of vacuum spares knocking
about.
I'm not too sparkling on electronics, but I remember years ago that our old
hoover used to go on 'blow' instead of suck at the flick of a switch,
someone told me that if you wire a motor in the opposite way, IE connect
live to neutral and netral to live, it spins in the opposite direction,
although I've not tried it.
My idea is to make a minature blowing machine of some kind, for various jobs
and just for ****ing about with, so if I reverse the connections around in
the motor, will it do as I want and start blowing or will it just blow up? -
I'm not too bothered if it does the latter as I've got quite a few, also, do
I need to make this connection at the motor end or can I just reverse the
wires in the plug?

Or is it a non starter?

TIA

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Old December 17th 08, 01:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes

It is, as they say, a total load of ********

--
geoff
Old December 17th 08, 01:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
[...]

It hasn't occurred to you that a motor that sucks also blows out of the
other end? Isn't it easier to just point the existing exit at whatever you
want to blow at?
--
Dave Baker
Hi I'm Larry. This is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother

Old December 17th 08, 08:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
I have a few duff vacuum cleaners, two of them I've been trying to make one
decent one out of, but never completed, and another one which is too far
gone to do anything with, anyhoo, I have a lot of vacuum spares knocking
about.
I'm not too sparkling on electronics, but I remember years ago that our
old hoover used to go on 'blow' instead of suck at the flick of a switch,

Never seen one like that (outside of cartoons anyway). On our old cylinder
machine you just connected the hose to the opposite end of the machine if
you wanted blow instead of suck.

someone told me that if you wire a motor in the opposite way, IE connect
live to neutral and netral to live, it spins in the opposite direction,

Given that we're on AC now I don't suppose this would make a great deal of
difference. If they ever did reverse at the flick of a switch, the switch
must have been doing more than swapping live & neutral.

Tim

Old December 17th 08, 09:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:35:01 -0000, Tim Downie wrote:

If they ever did reverse at the flick of a switch, the switch must have
been doing more than swapping live & neutral.

What does make a universal or induction motor always start and run the
same way?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old December 17th 08, 09:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
[...]

Most vacuum cleaners use series wound motors and to reverse those you need
to get inside it and reverse the connections to the field windings. Which
may not be possible with a sealed design. Other possibility is to reverse
the fan on its spindle.

Swapping the plug connections won't do anything - the mains does just this
100 times a second...

--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 17th 08, 10:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:35:01 -0000, Tim Downie wrote:

If they ever did reverse at the flick of a switch, the switch must have
been doing more than swapping live & neutral.

What does make a universal or induction motor always start and run the
same way?

Universal and induction motors are two completly different beasts

universal's are basically a dc motor, direction is hard wired in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...iversal_motors

induction motors have some sort of start circuit that determines direction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_motor

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Old December 17th 08, 11:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Dec, 00:59, "Phil L" wrote:

someone told me that if you wire a motor in the opposite way, IE connect
live to neutral and netral to live, it spins in the opposite direction,

Wrong, although if it has brushes with a commutator it's a
"universal" (AC/DC) motor and swapping some simple internal
connections will do this. Too difficult to explain in ASCII, but I'm
sure web searching will turn it up. Purely AC motors won't reverse
(for simple levels of fiddling).
Old December 17th 08, 05:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
[...]

Wouldnt work. Even if you did contrive to reverse the motor direction, all
vacuums use at least a 1 stage, often 2 or 3 stage centrifugal fan which
just doesnt work rotated the other way!

Tim.

Old December 17th 08, 06:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote on 17/12/2008 :
connect live to
neutral and netral to live, it spins in the opposite direction, although I've
not tried it.

Doing that will make nil difference to the direction. Only swapping one
of either the field coils or brush connections will change the motors
direction.

Even if you get the motor spinning backwards, many of the designs seem
to be a semi centrifugal design compressor, so it will probably not
make much difference to the air flow direction.

My idea is to make a minature blowing machine of some kind, for various jobs
and just for ****ing about with, so if I reverse the connections around in
the motor, will it do as I want and start blowing or will it just blow up? -

They do already blow, at the opposite end to the end they suck. Could
you perhaps modify the output end to accept a pipe?

I'm not too bothered if it does the latter as I've got quite a few, also, do
I need to make this connection at the motor end or can I just reverse the
wires in the plug?

Or is it a non starter?

TIA

--