Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default vacuum cleaner motor reversal?

In message , Phil L
writes
I have a few duff vacuum cleaners, two of them I've been trying to make one
decent one out of, but never completed, and another one which is too far
gone to do anything with, anyhoo, I have a lot of vacuum spares knocking
about.
I'm not too sparkling on electronics, but I remember years ago that our old
hoover used to go on 'blow' instead of suck at the flick of a switch,
someone told me that if you wire a motor in the opposite way, IE connect
live to neutral and netral to live, it spins in the opposite direction,
although I've not tried it.
My idea is to make a minature blowing machine of some kind, for various jobs
and just for ****ing about with, so if I reverse the connections around in
the motor, will it do as I want and start blowing or will it just blow up? -
I'm not too bothered if it does the latter as I've got quite a few, also, do
I need to make this connection at the motor end or can I just reverse the
wires in the plug?

Or is it a non starter?

It is, as they say, a total load of ********

--