Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default vacuum cleaner motor reversal?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
"Kevin" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:35:01 -0000, Tim Downie wrote:

If they ever did reverse at the flick of a switch, the switch must have
been doing more than swapping live & neutral.

What does make a universal or induction motor always start and run the
same way?

Universal and induction motors are two completly different beasts

universal's are basically a dc motor, direction is hard wired in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...iversal_motors

induction motors have some sort of start circuit that determines direction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_motor

Strange that, I was only thinking about rotation direction of
synchronous motors half an hour before seeing this thread.

I know in its basic form a synchronous motor will run
in either direction. If anyone doubts this look at the turntable
in any microwave oven, it's 50-50 which way it goes.

Now when electric clocks and timers with syncronous motors
ha

if anyone