Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie Tim Downie is offline

Default vacuum cleaner motor reversal?

"Phil L" wrote in message
I have a few duff vacuum cleaners, two of them I've been trying to make one
decent one out of, but never completed, and another one which is too far
gone to do anything with, anyhoo, I have a lot of vacuum spares knocking
about.
I'm not too sparkling on electronics, but I remember years ago that our
old hoover used to go on 'blow' instead of suck at the flick of a switch,

Never seen one like that (outside of cartoons anyway). On our old cylinder
machine you just connected the hose to the opposite end of the machine if
you wanted blow instead of suck.

someone told me that if you wire a motor in the opposite way, IE connect
live to neutral and netral to live, it spins in the opposite direction,

Given that we're on AC now I don't suppose this would make a great deal of
difference. If they ever did reverse at the flick of a switch, the switch
must have been doing more than swapping live & neutral.

Tim