Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default vacuum cleaner motor reversal?

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
I have a few duff vacuum cleaners, two of them I've been trying to make
one decent one out of, but never completed, and another one which is
too far gone to do anything with, anyhoo, I have a lot of vacuum spares
knocking about. I'm not too sparkling on electronics, but I remember
years ago that our old hoover used to go on 'blow' instead of suck at
the flick of a switch, someone told me that if you wire a motor in the
opposite way, IE connect live to neutral and netral to live, it spins
in the opposite direction, although I've not tried it. My idea is to
make a minature blowing machine of some kind, for various jobs and just
for ****ing about with, so if I reverse the connections around in the
motor, will it do as I want and start blowing or will it just blow up? -
I'm not too bothered if it does the latter as I've got quite a few,
also, do I need to make this connection at the motor end or can I just
reverse the wires in the plug?

Most vacuum cleaners use series wound motors and to reverse those you need
to get inside it and reverse the connections to the field windings. Which
may not be possible with a sealed design. Other possibility is to reverse
the fan on its spindle.

Swapping the plug connections won't do anything - the mains does just this
100 times a second...

--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW