Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Be careful...

Toddlers' toilet seat crush peril

An increasing number of small boys may be finding toilet training a more
painful experience than they anticipated, say safety experts.

Doctors at one English hospital reported four cases in which a toddler's
penis had been injured by a falling toilet seat.

The fashion for heavy wooden and ceramic seats is worsening the problem,
they say.

Figures suggest there may be up to 250 similar cases a year in the UK.

Dr Joe Philip, from Leighton Hospital in Crewe, said that parents might
need to take more precautions to keep their young sons out of A&E.

He called for more seats to be designed to fall slowly, and for heavier
seats to be banned from households with young boys.

He even suggested that the social norm of putting the seat down after
use be suspended and the seat fixed in an upright position.

He said: "As Christmas approaches many families will be visiting
relatives and friends and their recently toilet-trained toddlers will be
keen to show how grown up they are by going to the toilet on their own.

"It is important that parents check out the toilet seats in advance, not
to mention those in their own homes, and they should accompany their
children if necessary."

The four boys visiting the Crewe hospital, aged between two and four,
all needed to stay in hospital overnight, although fortunately no
lasting damage was done.

They had all lifted the toilet seats themselves, which had then fallen
back down onto their penises, the journal BJU International reported.

Increasing risk

Dr Philip said: "A recent market research report has suggested that
there has been a worldwide increase in the number of wooden and ceramic
toilet seats sold.

"We would not be surprised to hear that other colleagues have noticed an
increase in penis crush injuries as a result of this."

He said that parents should consider training their youngsters to hold
up the toilet seat with one hand.

A spokeswoman for RoSPA confirmed that the cases at Crewe were not
isolated examples.

Sheila Merrill, home safety manager for England, said: "The most recent
figures show there are an estimated 250 visits to A&E each year by boys
under the age of five involved in similar accidents.

"So perhaps it's advisable that parents with toddlers think twice about
having heavy toilet seats while their children are young.

"However, as with children of all ages, in all areas of the home,
supervision is always the most crucial aspect in preventing accidents."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7779024.stm

Reminds me of the toilets at school - they mostly had bits of wood
attached directly to the bowl, and more often than not, whether of that
type of the more common plastic lifting type, had a gap at the front.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

They had all lifted the toilet seats themselves, which had then fallen
back down onto their penises, the journal BJU International reported.

One of life's little lessons. You only do it the once and best to learn
it early before the item becomes a major part of one's life.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

They had all lifted the toilet seats themselves, which had then fallen
back down onto their penises, the journal BJU International reported.

One of life's little lessons. You only do it the once and best to learn
it early before the item becomes a major part of one's life.

I read it as you do it once and then it doesn't become a major part of
one's life. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

They had all lifted the toilet seats themselves, which had then fallen
back down onto their penises, the journal BJU International reported.

One of life's little lessons. You only do it the once and best to learn
it early before the item becomes a major part of one's life.

A bit like the zipper & the uncircumcised :-(

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Dec, 22:48, "Don" wrote:
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message

drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

They had all lifted the toilet seats themselves, which had then fallen
back down onto their penises, the journal BJU International reported.

One of life's little lessons. You only do it the once and best to learn
it early before the item becomes a major part of one's life.

A bit like the zipper & the uncircumcised :-(

Don.

Why just the uncircumcised ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:48:00 -0000, Don wrote:

A bit like the zipper & the uncircumcised :-(

You can still get caught circumcised or not...

Don't these seats have 3/8 to 1/2" high bump rubbers so there should be a
gap between the under side of the seat and the bowl. Still get a nasty
whack and possibly grazing as the seat whizzed past.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Don" wrote in message
. uk...

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

They had all lifted the toilet seats themselves, which had then fallen
back down onto their penises, the journal BJU International reported.

One of life's little lessons. You only do it the once and best to learn
it early before the item becomes a major part of one's life.

A bit like the zipper & the uncircumcised :-(

Tosh - the uncircumcised have a 'sacrificial zone'* - it's the circumcised
that have more to lose!

* or if religious, a 'scrfcl zn'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:48:00 -0000, Don wrote:

A bit like the zipper & the uncircumcised :-(

You can still get caught circumcised or not...

Don't these seats have 3/8 to 1/2" high bump rubbers so there should be a
gap between the under side of the seat and the bowl. Still get a nasty
whack and possibly grazing as the seat whizzed past.

unless tackle is between rubber and bowl

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Don
writes

A bit like the zipper & the uncircumcised :-(

Don.

Thanks Don, it was 50 years ago but I still cringe at the memory :-(

--
Bill
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself against my enemies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Toddlers' toilet seat crush peril

An increasing number of small boys may be finding toilet training a
more painful experience than they anticipated, say safety experts.

Doctors at one English hospital reported four cases in which a
toddler's penis had been injured by a falling toilet seat.

Is this serious? What small boy has a todger that protrudes enough to get
damaged by a falling toilet seat?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toddlers' toilet seat crush peril

We would not be surprised to hear that other colleagues have noticed an

increase in penis crush injuries as a result of this."

He said that parents should consider training their youngsters to hold

up the toilet seat with one hand.

Doing that would no doubt increase the 250 a year to nearer 2500/yr

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

They had all lifted the toilet seats themselves, which had then fallen
back down onto their penises, the journal BJU International reported.

One of life's little lessons. You only do it the once and best to learn
it early before the item becomes a major part of one's life.

Try it then.. once its permanently damaged you you might understand that it
isn't as simple as learning a lesson.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Don" wrote in message
. uk...

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

They had all lifted the toilet seats themselves, which had then fallen
back down onto their penises, the journal BJU International reported.

One of life's little lessons. You only do it the once and best to learn
it early before the item becomes a major part of one's life.

A bit like the zipper & the uncircumcised :-(

Done that and it is a minor thing compared to the damage that can be done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 01:14:35 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Rod wrote:
Toddlers' toilet seat crush peril

An increasing number of small boys may be finding toilet training a
more painful experience than they anticipated, say safety experts.

Doctors at one English hospital reported four cases in which a
toddler's penis had been injured by a falling toilet seat.

Is this serious? What small boy has a todger that protrudes enough to get
damaged by a falling toilet seat?

They quite often aren't quite tall enough, so they press themselves
right up to the bowl, standing on tiptoe. No matter how small it is,
it's still in the danger zone!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Although expensive, I would have thought the heavily damped ones (that is
damped as in motion, not... Oh no - it just gets worse. You *know what I
mean.) would be the best answer in many circumstances. Shame they are so
expensive.

Not that expensive here
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/s...oilet-seat.asp.
Even cheaper on EBay there is one on there for £16.40 incl P&P on a Buy It
Now.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
Although expensive, I would have thought the heavily damped ones (that is
damped as in motion, not... Oh no - it just gets worse. You *know what I
mean.) would be the best answer in many circumstances. Shame they are so
expensive.

Not that expensive here
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/s...oilet-seat.asp.
Even cheaper on EBay there is one on there for £16.40 incl P&P on a Buy It
Now.

HTH

John

Hadn't seen them that reasonably priced. I did notice one in a local
shop with a horrific price tag and, IIRC, the Armitage Shanks version.
At that time, a quick look on-line showed high prices all round.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
Toddlers' toilet seat crush peril

An increasing number of small boys may be finding toilet training a
more painful experience than they anticipated, say safety experts.

Doctors at one English hospital reported four cases in which a
toddler's penis had been injured by a falling toilet seat.

Is this serious? What small boy has a todger that protrudes enough to get
damaged by a falling toilet seat?

They do tend to perch said todger on the lip of the bowl.
Might be to do with some seats being precariously balanced at 91 degrees
owing to the thickness of embroidered seat covers and the like.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Rod wrote:
Toddlers' toilet seat crush peril

An increasing number of small boys may be finding toilet training a
more painful experience than they anticipated, say safety experts.

Doctors at one English hospital reported four cases in which a
toddler's penis had been injured by a falling toilet seat.

Is this serious? What small boy has a todger that protrudes enough to get
damaged by a falling toilet seat?

They quite often aren't quite tall enough, so they press themselves
right up to the bowl, standing on tiptoe. No matter how small it is,
it's still in the danger zone!

so fit decent with buffer rubbers,.

I am sure MY 2 year old todger would have fitted under the current
wooden seat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:57:36 +0000, Rod
wrote:

[...]

I always wondered what that gap was for ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Rod wrote:
Toddlers' toilet seat crush peril

An increasing number of small boys may be finding toilet training a
more painful experience than they anticipated, say safety experts.

Doctors at one English hospital reported four cases in which a
toddler's penis had been injured by a falling toilet seat.
Is this serious? What small boy has a todger that protrudes enough
to get damaged by a falling toilet seat?

They quite often aren't quite tall enough, so they press themselves
right up to the bowl, standing on tiptoe. No matter how small it is,
it's still in the danger zone!

so fit decent with buffer rubbers,.

I am sure MY 2 year old todger would have fitted under the current
wooden seat.

my toilet seat has a 1/8th inch bumpers and that would make a two year
old wince

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Rod wrote:
Toddlers' toilet seat crush peril

An increasing number of small boys may be finding toilet training a
more painful experience than they anticipated, say safety experts.

Doctors at one English hospital reported four cases in which a
toddler's penis had been injured by a falling toilet seat.
Is this serious? What small boy has a todger that protrudes enough
to get damaged by a falling toilet seat?

They quite often aren't quite tall enough, so they press themselves
right up to the bowl, standing on tiptoe. No matter how small it is,
it's still in the danger zone!

so fit decent with buffer rubbers,.

I am sure MY 2 year old todger would have fitted under the current
wooden seat.

my toilet seat has a 1/8th inch bumpers and that would make a two year
old wince

well MINE have 10mm buffers. Solid oak seats. Your Little Johhny's
todger is safe with me ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

so fit decent with buffer rubbers,.

Trouble is some seats have a buffer bang in the middle at the front.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

One of life's little lessons. You only do it the once and best to learn
it early before the item becomes a major part of one's life.

Try it then.. once its permanently damaged you you might understand that it
isn't as simple as learning a lesson.

If the seat fell on your todger, please accept my sympathies. It's not
my fault, ok?
Certainly explains a few things, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

One of life's little lessons. You only do it the once and best to learn
it early before the item becomes a major part of one's life.

Try it then.. once its permanently damaged you you might understand that
it
isn't as simple as learning a lesson.

If the seat fell on your todger, please accept my sympathies. It's not
my fault, ok?
Certainly explains a few things, though.

I know someone it happened to and it isn't nice.
Google for penile splint if you want to know what can be the result.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'Todger Dodger'. :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:57:36 +0000, Rod wrote:

Toddlers' toilet seat crush peril

Isn't the real problem the modern design of close coupled toilet? There
used to be a time when seat and lid would tip well back beyond the
vertical, but many modern units seem to have a cistern that projects so far
forward that seat and lid are on the point of tipping forward anyway.

Bring back the old high level flush says I. Plenty of room for the lid to
tip right back, you had the added bonus of denting the down pipe, and the
water entered at a good clearing rate!

--
The Wanderer

Whenever I look for something, it's always in the last place I look.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer coughed up some electrons that declared:

Bring back the old high level flush says I. Plenty of room for the lid to
tip right back, you had the added bonus of denting the down pipe, and the
water entered at a good clearing rate!

Funny that. I'm going for high level cisterns for exactly these reasons.
Also buys me another 5cm of space as the bog can go a little further back.

I do find most close coupled systems not very good and I'm sure it's got
worse with the reduction in flush volume.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Google for penile splint if you want to know what can be the result.

The Google ads included one for DIY vaginal casting kits.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
dennis@home wrote:
Google for penile splint if you want to know what can be the result.

The Google ads included one for DIY vaginal casting kits.

You're sorted for Xmas then ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:27:40 +0000, Mike Clarke wrote:

Trouble is some seats have a buffer bang in the middle at the front.

Designed by a woman?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 00:42:54 +0000, Kevin wrote:

Don't these seats have 3/8 to 1/2" high bump rubbers so there should be
a gap between the under side of the seat and the bowl.

unless tackle is between rubber and bowl

I've yet to see a bump rubber in the central front area of a seat. Though
from other posts it appears they do exist.

Precarioulsy balanced upright seats due to poor design, fitting or fluffy
seat covers is probably the root cause of the problem but I doubt the
statistics include that level of detail.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2008 20:57 Rod wrote:

Doctors at one English hospital reported four cases in which a toddler's
penis had been injured by a falling toilet seat.

Installed, no doubt, by a female plumber...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:

Isn't the real problem the modern design of close coupled toilet? There
used to be a time when seat and lid would tip well back beyond the
vertical, but many modern units seem to have a cistern that projects so far
forward that seat and lid are on the point of tipping forward anyway.

As a student I lived in two houses where I had to add a "bloke hook" to
hold the seat up, and a mate lives in another (and has added his own
design of bloke hook). My own current house did have the same problem,
but that turned out to be due to the hinges having been fitted
back-to-front by the DIY idiot that did everything else.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

so fit decent with buffer rubbers,.

Trouble is some seats have a buffer bang in the middle at the front.

Bad design. Sue them for todger damage..;-0)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

In a slightly different guise, this danger forms a major part of one
of the greatest of English 'novels'.

In 'Tristram Shandy' (published starting 1759), the eponymous hero is
accidentally circumcised as a child, when after, being held up to a
window, the sash accidentally falls(*).

This is only one of the catastrophe that befalls him, in one of the
greatest shaggy dog tales ever written.

A film version of this 'impossible to film' novel was made as 'A Cock
and Bull story', with Steve Coogan and rob Brydon, a few years ago.

literall-y yours

On Dec 12, 8:57 pm, Rod wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

so fit decent with buffer rubbers,.

Trouble is some seats have a buffer bang in the middle at the
front.

Bad design. Sue them for todger damage..;-0)

Or in your case, brain damage!...
--
"You obviously couldn't get a clue if you rolled in clue
musk and performed the clue mating dance in the middle

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

jkn wrote:
In a slightly different guise, this danger forms a major part of one
of the greatest of English 'novels'.

In 'Tristram Shandy' (published starting 1759), the eponymous hero is
accidentally circumcised as a child, when after, being held up to a
window, the sash accidentally falls(*).

This is only one of the catastrophe that befalls him, in one of the
greatest shaggy dog tales ever written.

A film version of this 'impossible to film' novel was made as 'A Cock
and Bull story', with Steve Coogan and rob Brydon, a few years ago.

literall-y yours

But if they'd had 'mohel special' bog seats in those days, Laurence
Sterne might well have seen fit to change the scene. :-)

Bizarrely, the film had Gillian Anderson in it.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:02:59 UTC, Rod wrote:

jkn wrote:
In a slightly different guise, this danger forms a major part of one
of the greatest of English 'novels'.

In 'Tristram Shandy' (published starting 1759), the eponymous hero is
accidentally circumcised as a child, when after, being held up to a
window, the sash accidentally falls(*).

This is only one of the catastrophe that befalls him, in one of the
greatest shaggy dog tales ever written.

A film version of this 'impossible to film' novel was made as 'A Cock
and Bull story', with Steve Coogan and rob Brydon, a few years ago.

literall-y yours

But if they'd had 'mohel special' bog seats in those days, Laurence
Sterne might well have seen fit to change the scene. :-)

Bizarrely, the film had Gillian Anderson in it.

Was it subtitled "The X-foreskin Files"?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

so fit decent with buffer rubbers,.

Trouble is some seats have a buffer bang in the middle at the front.

Yebbut you're all assuming that Small Boys always approach the bowl
square-on - more often than not they don't. The loo is often in the
corner of the bathroom, and Little Johnny (who always waits until the
last possible second before tearing upstairs clutching his groin) dashes
in, and rushes over to the bowl which he reaches at approximately 45
degrees - ie, with todger directly beneath the falling arc of the buffer.

David

Be careful out there Jon Danniken Metalworking 4 September 21st 07 08:02 PM
Be Careful Woodworking 4 November 7th 06 11:33 PM
Be Careful Mike O. Woodworking 5 November 7th 06 11:32 PM
Be careful out there! Glen Woodworking 36 September 6th 06 10:18 PM
Be Careful Out There RonB Woodturning 15 April 21st 05 05:36 AM