Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fridge 15W SES blulb

Hello,

Perhaps a daft question but can you use any old 15W SES bulb in a
fridge or does it have to be a special one?

I know that ovens use a special bulb that will withstand 300 degrees
C, presumably to stop something melting. Is there a similar "low
temperature" bulb for fridges? After all, I would think that going
from hot when illuminated to cold in the fridge would place additional
strain on the bulb.

I ask because I saw a pair of 15W pygmy bulbs for £2 in a supermarket
today and next to it one fridge bulb, which looked identical, for £2.
Both made by GE. It seems silly to buy the fridge one at twice the
price if it's the same as the "ordinary" bulbs.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen writes:
Hello,

Perhaps a daft question but can you use any old 15W SES bulb in a
fridge or does it have to be a special one?

I know that ovens use a special bulb that will withstand 300 degrees
C, presumably to stop something melting. Is there a similar "low
temperature" bulb for fridges? After all, I would think that going
from hot when illuminated to cold in the fridge would place additional
strain on the bulb.

I ask because I saw a pair of 15W pygmy bulbs for £2 in a supermarket
today and next to it one fridge bulb, which looked identical, for £2.
Both made by GE. It seems silly to buy the fridge one at twice the
price if it's the same as the "ordinary" bulbs.

I think you can use any one providing it's not too physically large.
You might find the fridge one is a bit more shock resistant.
Don't know of it might have hardened glass too perhaps, although
15W pigmy lamps are normally OK exposed in the rain anyway.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Perhaps a daft question but can you use any old 15W SES bulb in a
fridge or does it have to be a special one?

I know that ovens use a special bulb that will withstand 300 degrees
C, presumably to stop something melting. Is there a similar "low
temperature" bulb for fridges? After all, I would think that going
from hot when illuminated to cold in the fridge would place additional
strain on the bulb.

I ask because I saw a pair of 15W pygmy bulbs for £2 in a supermarket
today and next to it one fridge bulb, which looked identical, for £2.
Both made by GE. It seems silly to buy the fridge one at twice the
price if it's the same as the "ordinary" bulbs.

Thanks.

they might have a different coil to cope with thermal shock

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message

I ask because I saw a pair of 15W pygmy bulbs for £2 in a supermarket
today and next to it one fridge bulb, which looked identical, for £2.

so you can buy a twin pack of normal bulbs, use one of them in the fridge,
if it dosent last long you can use the 'spare' untill that goes too and you
go out and buy the fridge bulb.

or the normal bulb does work, and when it finaly blows in 3 or 4 years time,
you cant find the 'spare' one so have to buy 2 more anyway.

personaly i'd just buy the fridge bulb and be done with it for the ammount
of times you have to change a fridge bulb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

gazz wrote:
"Stephen" wrote in message

I ask because I saw a pair of 15W pygmy bulbs for �2 in a supermarket
today and next to it one fridge bulb, which looked identical, for �2.

so you can buy a twin pack of normal bulbs, use one of them in the fridge,
if it dosent last long you can use the 'spare' untill that goes too and you
go out and buy the fridge bulb.

or the normal bulb does work, and when it finaly blows in 3 or 4 years time,
you cant find the 'spare' one so have to buy 2 more anyway.

personaly i'd just buy the fridge bulb and be done with it for the ammount
of times you have to change a fridge bulb.

Appliance lamps tend to run at lower filament temp, producing less
light and lasting much longer. But yes, cheaper ones do work ok, they
just dont last as well..

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Toby" writes:

Surely a 15W lamp is going to be running at the same temperature as any
other filament lamp at the same voltage?

No, there's a range of temperatures filament lamps operate over.

If the "special appliance" lamp is also 15w, but produces less light, it
would throw out even more heat!?

A 15W mains filament lamp is so inefficient, that you can regard it
as generating 100% heat to a first approximation.

I've often thought that microwave ovens should simply have an
electrodeless fluorescent lamp inside for lighting, powered by
the microwaves. I expect the field intensity varies too much
depending on how much food is in there, and as it goes around
on the turn table, so it would just go up and down in intensity.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Toby" writes:

Surely a 15W lamp is going to be running at the same temperature as any
other filament lamp at the same voltage?

No, there's a range of temperatures filament lamps operate over.

If the "special appliance" lamp is also 15w, but produces less light, it
would throw out even more heat!?

A 15W mains filament lamp is so inefficient, that you can regard it
as generating 100% heat to a first approximation.

Surely, regardless of how efficient or otherwise it is at producing
light, the light ends up as heat anyway. So given a 15 watt lamp
*all* of the 15 watts ends up heating the room that the lamp is in
except for any light that escapes the room.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Dec, 09:19, wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
* * * * "Toby" writes:

Surely a 15W lamp is going to be running at the same temperature as any
other filament lamp at the same voltage?

No, there's a range of temperatures filament lamps operate over.

If the "special appliance" lamp is also 15w, but produces less light, it
would throw out even more heat!?

A 15W mains filament lamp is so inefficient, that you can regard it
as generating 100% heat to a first approximation.

Surely, regardless of how efficient or otherwise it is at producing
light, the light ends up as heat anyway. *So given a 15 watt lamp
*all* of the 15 watts ends up heating the room that the lamp is in
except for any light that escapes the room.

--
Chris Green

Light energy spontaneously transforms to heat energy!!!!....

Ummmm, interesting concept!!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Dec, 14:43, The Crimson King wrote:
On 10 Dec, 09:19, wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
* * * * "Toby" writes:

Surely a 15W lamp is going to be running at the same temperature as any
other filament lamp at the same voltage?

No, there's a range of temperatures filament lamps operate over.

If the "special appliance" lamp is also 15w, but produces less light, it
would throw out even more heat!?

A 15W mains filament lamp is so inefficient, that you can regard it
as generating 100% heat to a first approximation.

Surely, regardless of how efficient or otherwise it is at producing
light, the light ends up as heat anyway. *So given a 15 watt lamp
*all* of the 15 watts ends up heating the room that the lamp is in
except for any light that escapes the room.

--
Chris Green

Light energy spontaneously transforms to heat energy!!!!....

Ummmm, interesting concept!!!!

So... a 11W low energy bulb which gives equivalent light to a 60W
filament bulb generates the same heat?????

Ummmm... right.... you switch on your 60W filament for an hour and
I'll do the same with my 11W low-energy... then we'll both grasp our
bulbs... and see who gets the worse burns shall we???

(Me, ummmm... a bit warm...you, call the ambulance!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Crimson King" wrote in message
On 10 Dec, 14:43, The Crimson King wrote:
On 10 Dec, 09:19, wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Toby" writes:

[...]

Who said that? any 11W bulb in a closed environment (heat and light can't
escape) will generate 11W of heating in the environment. The fact that it's
a bulb is irrelevant - it could be a radio - if 11W of power id going in and
nothing can come out, then ithe inside will heat up according to the power
going in.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Dec, 14:49, The Crimson King wrote:
On 10 Dec, 14:43, The Crimson King wrote:

On 10 Dec, 09:19, wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
* * * * "Toby" writes:

[...]

OK... can an inconsistency here....

So put your 60W bulb in a 100% insulated container for 1 hour....
And I'll put my 11W in an identical container for 6 hours......

And at the end of each span measure temp. rises....

Yours easily 60+ degree rise...
Mine... probably less than 10 degrees...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Dec, 15:08, The Crimson King wrote:
On 10 Dec, 14:49, The Crimson King wrote:

On 10 Dec, 14:43, The Crimson King wrote:

On 10 Dec, 09:19, wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
* * * * "Toby" writes:

[...]

Mine... probably less than 10 degrees...- Hide quoted text -

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Dec, 15:00, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"The Crimson King" wrote in ...
On 10 Dec, 14:43, The Crimson King wrote:

On 10 Dec, 09:19, wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Toby" writes:

[...]

(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)- Hide quoted text -

LIGHT comes out... NOT heat!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Crimson King" wrote in message
On 10 Dec, 15:00, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"The Crimson King" wrote in
On 10 Dec, 14:43, The Crimson King wrote:

On 10 Dec, 09:19, wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Toby" writes:

[...]

It's all energy and energy is, in the end, heat. You will note I referred to
a closed environment where nothing comes out. If the light were to come out
it would get converted to heat (or, occasionally, chemical energy)
elsewhere. As it can't get out, it will all end up as heat inside. That be
physics, I'm afraid, don't blame me, read a text book!

Catfood, catfood, catfood, again! (sorry your nom de plume set me off)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Crimson King" wrote in message
On 10 Dec, 14:49, The Crimson King wrote:
On 10 Dec, 14:43, The Crimson King wrote:

On 10 Dec, 09:19, wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Toby" writes:

[...]

You are entirely correct but what's your point? No-one said otherwise!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Crimson King wrote:
On 10 Dec, 09:19, wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Â* Â* Â* Â* "Toby" writes:

Surely a 15W lamp is going to be running at the same temperature as any
other filament lamp at the same voltage?

No, there's a range of temperatures filament lamps operate over.

If the "special appliance" lamp is also 15w, but produces less light, it
would throw out even more heat!?

A 15W mains filament lamp is so inefficient, that you can regard it
as generating 100% heat to a first approximation.

Surely, regardless of how efficient or otherwise it is at producing
light, the light ends up as heat anyway. Â*So given a 15 watt lamp
*all* of the 15 watts ends up heating the room that the lamp is in
except for any light that escapes the room.

--
Chris Green

Light energy spontaneously transforms to heat energy!!!!....

Where else do you think it goes??? Just about all energy 'degrades'
into heat eventually.

Ummmm, interesting concept!!!!

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Crimson King" wrote in message
On 10 Dec, 14:49, The Crimson King wrote:
On 10 Dec, 14:43, The Crimson King wrote:

On 10 Dec, 09:19, wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Toby" writes:

[...]

You don't understand physics do you?
I suggest you read some books as all your assumptions appear to be in error.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"The Crimson King" wrote in message
On 10 Dec, 14:49, The Crimson King wrote:
On 10 Dec, 14:43, The Crimson King wrote:

On 10 Dec, 09:19, wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Toby" writes:

[...]

He is entirely incorrect.
With 100% insulation there would be nothing to stop either getting hotter
and hotter.
Then it just depends on the thermal mass.