Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

Default how to seal a "slamfärg"-painted house (for over-painting with latex)?

I have just bought a small cottage in northern Sweden. At the moment
the exterior wood is painted with "slamfärg", the red paint which
leaves a red powder on your hand if you rub it.

I would like to paint the house with latex paint. Various people have
told me that you shouldn't paint this directly onto slamfärg.

Is there a sealant that I can paint onto the "slamfärg", which I can
then paint the latex paint on top of??

If so, what is the sealant called, in either English or Swedish and
preferably both!!

Thanks in advance!

Michael
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

John Nagelson wrote:
I have just bought a small cottage in northern Sweden. At the moment
the exterior wood is painted with "slamf�rg", the red paint which
leaves a red powder on your hand if you rub it.

I would like to paint the house with latex paint. Various people have
told me that you shouldn't paint this directly onto slamf�rg.

Is there a sealant that I can paint onto the "slamf�rg", which I can
then paint the latex paint on top of??

If so, what is the sealant called, in either English or Swedish and
preferably both!!

Thanks in advance!

Michael

ISTR this red stuff having extremely long life expectancy. So it would
seem more practical to paint it with more slamfärg with added pigment
of your choice.

NT
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

On 5 Dec, 08:32, wrote:
John Nagelson wrote:
I have just bought a small cottage in northern Sweden. At the moment
the exterior wood is painted with "slamf rg", the red paint which
leaves a red powder on your hand if you rub it.

I would like to paint the house with latex paint. Various people have
told me that you shouldn't paint this directly onto slamf rg.

Is there a sealant that I can paint onto the "slamf rg", which I can
then paint the latex paint on top of??

If so, what is the sealant called, in either English or Swedish and
preferably both!!

Thanks in advance!

Michael

ISTR this red stuff having extremely long life expectancy. So it would
seem more practical to paint it with more slamfärg with added pigment
of your choice.

NT

Hmm - interesting.. for once Mr Google is defeated by 'slamfarg' and
so are the on-line dictionaries.

Just to put my pennyworth in (no doubt the Swedes have a similar coin
value for that!) - if this paint is traditional and long lasting then
it has been found to be highly effective over the years in protecting
the the wood. My gut reaction is that one of its attributes is
allowing the wood to breath - ie it is a successful vapour passing
membrane. I would have concern as to whether the latex paint has this
characteristic and hence would trap moisture in the wood.

Rob
One t
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 10:06*am, robgraham wrote:
On 5 Dec, 08:32, wrote:

John Nagelson wrote:
[...]

:-) Literally 'slime paint' or 'sludge paint' - unless my wife is
winding me up!

Just to put my pennyworth in (no doubt the Swedes have a similar coin
value for that!) - if this paint is traditional and long lasting then
it has been found to be highly effective over the years in protecting
the the wood. *My gut reaction is that one of its attributes is
allowing the wood to breath - ie it is a successful vapour passing
membrane. *I would have concern as to whether the latex paint has this
characteristic and hence would trap moisture in the wood.

A lot of houses in northern Sweden built since the 1990s are painted
with latex paint nowadays, which is much longer-lasting (lasts about
15 years) than slamfarg, which tends to go patchy and needs redoing
every few years. I'm not wholly sure whether latex paint stops 100% of
the vapour. Certainly, relative humidity can be very high by UK
standards. But the insurance companies are OK with latex. Maybe that's
just because there is enough ventilation??

I may be wrong, but I think slamfarg is only available in dark red.
It's the bog-standard cheap paint for farm buildings. There must
surely be some sort of sealant I can paint on top of it?

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

John Nagelson gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I may be wrong, but I think slamfarg is only available in dark red.

aka "Falu Rödfärg"

It's a byproduct of the ginormous copper mine at Falun, in Dalarna.
http://www.falunpaint.co.uk/
"Falu Rödfärg Paint is a water-based exterior wood paint made by Stora
Kopparbergs Bergslags AB (now Stora Enso) in Sweden. What makes Falu
Rödfärg Paint so special is that it is made from the naturally-existing
pigments in the earth which can only be found in the copper mine in
Falun, Sweden. These pigments have a unique mineral composition which
includes iron ochre, silicon dioxide, copper and zinc, all of which help
preserve and protect wood and also produce the distinctive, natural
colours of Falu Rödfärg Paint."

It's the bog-standard cheap paint for farm buildings. There must surely
be some sort of sealant I can paint on top of it?

Just paint over it every few years...

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

In se.prat.diverse John Nagelson wrote:
On Dec 5, 10:06*am, robgraham wrote:

Hmm - interesting.. for once Mr Google is defeated by 'slamfarg' and
so are the on-line dictionaries.

:-) Literally 'slime paint' or 'sludge paint' - unless my wife is
winding me up!

Your wife is correct. I had never seen the name "slamfärg" for it, "Falu
rödfärg" is commonly used, although it is actually a trademark. You can
get it in different colours:
http://www.kulturhantverkarna.se/Slamfarg.htm

Just to put my pennyworth in (no doubt the Swedes have a similar coin
value for that!) - if this paint is traditional and long lasting then
it has been found to be highly effective over the years in protecting
the the wood. *My gut reaction is that one of its attributes is
allowing the wood to breath - ie it is a successful vapour passing
membrane. *I would have concern as to whether the latex paint has this
characteristic and hence would trap moisture in the wood.

[...]

I may be wrong, but I think slamfarg is only available in dark red.
It's the bog-standard cheap paint for farm buildings. There must
surely be some sort of sealant I can paint on top of it?

See above link for other colours.

Falu rödfärg originates from the 17th century. The main benefits are that is
is durable, ecological, wood friendly and easily applied. Renewing is also
easy because you just brush the old surface before applying a new coating.

(It is also traditional and beautiful, IMHO anyone applying a latex colour
on it, if even possible, is a culture vandal).

There seem to be some information in english on the net:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falu_red
http://www.solventfreepaint.com/falun-red-paint.htm

--
Kaj
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 11:11*am, wrote:
In se.prat.diverse John Nagelson wrote:

On Dec 5, 10:06*am, robgraham wrote:
Hmm - interesting.. for once Mr Google is defeated by 'slamfarg' and
so are the on-line dictionaries.

:-) Literally 'slime paint' or 'sludge paint' - unless my wife is
winding me up!

Your wife is correct. I had never seen the name "slamfärg" for it, "Falu
rödfärg" is commonly used, although it is actually a trademark. You can
get it in different colours:http://www.kulturhantverkarna.se/Slamfarg.htm

Everybody I've spoken to calls it "slamfärg" in the Luleå area.

(It is also traditional and beautiful, IMHO anyone applying a latex colour
on it, if even possible, is a culture vandal).

'Ecological' and 'traditional' are both marketing speak. I'd rather be
a "culture vandal"! But, er, thanks for your input! :-)

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 10:22*am, Adrian wrote:
John Nagelson gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Just paint over it every few years...

Do you know whether it would also be possible to use a sealant capable
of taking latex paint on top?

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

On 4 Dec, 18:12, John Nagelson wrote:

Is there a sealant that I can paint onto the "slamfärg", which I can
then paint the latex paint on top of??

Yes, shellac will do this nicely. Not really practical on a building,
but it works nicely for repro furniture.
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 11:11*am, wrote:

(It is also traditional and beautiful, IMHO anyone applying a latex colour
on it, if even possible, is a culture vandal).

'Ecological' and 'traditional' are both marketing speak. I'd rather be
a "culture vandal"! But, er, thanks for your input! :-)

OK, that is just my opinion. Within reason I feel that everyone should
be allowed to do what they wish with their property.

A swedish insurance company has published a test of different paints
regarding protection against mold (in swedish, but the tables should be
understandable):
http://tinyurl.com/6lhk3k

--
Kaj

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 02:18:34 -0800 (PST), John Nagelson
wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think slamfarg is only available in dark red.
It's the bog-standard cheap paint for farm buildings. There must
surely be some sort of sealant I can paint on top of it?

All kinds or red, apparently, and dark green:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falu_Red

Thomas Prufer
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

"John Nagelson" wrote in message
On Dec 5, 10:22 am, Adrian wrote:
John Nagelson gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Just paint over it every few years...

Do you know whether it would also be possible to use a sealant capable
of taking latex paint on top?

It is commonly known in the UK as "Red Lead Paint". Find some more red lead
paint and redo it.

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

It is commonly known in the UK as "Red Lead Paint".

No, it's not.

It's completely different stuff. The only similarity is the colour.

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

Latex paint has 2 problems.
- If water gets behind it, you may end up replacing wood.
- The substrate must be compatible for proper adhesion, or the end
result is a mess or worse.

What you save in a longer life can end up meaning more work to repaint
versus a simple clean & overcoat.

The original overcoatable paint sounds like a preservative woodstain?
- Linseed oil might be a good choice
- It comes in a wide variety of colours, long lasting, when it fades
you touch up
- Fully overcoatable without difficulty

The problem with linseed paint is drying time & application
temperature.

I would think carefully before using a "waterproof skin" latex paint.
Every time I take Weathershield off I find wet wood underneath and the
8 year lifespan claims are ******** if your wood is not acacia. Even
Sikkens latest paints whilst claiming decade-plus are only better in
that they are overcoatable like a woodstain.
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
"BigWallop" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

It is commonly known in the UK as "Red Lead Paint".

No, it's not.

It's completely different stuff. The only similarity is the colour.

Red Lead Paint, doesn't really contain lead any more. It is not
environmentally acceptable now. So the Rd Lead Paint that they sell today
has copper added to it, instead of lead.

The paint you have described has copper added to the solvent / pigment
mixture, so sounds very much like the new Red Lead Paint we have in the UK.

Oh well. :-)

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

Huge gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

(It is also traditional and beautiful, IMHO anyone applying a latex
colour on it, if even possible, is a culture vandal).

tradition and beauty and culture have always been words I have found
difficult to interpret in a scandinavian context

How odd, given how much nicer a place Scandinavia is than the litter
strewn, vomit spattered ******** inhabited by the likes of Karen
Matthews that the UK is.

To be fair, there's dodgy bits of Scandinavia, and nice bits of the UK.
You're right that the proportions certainly don't favour here, though.

I can only assume TNP's never been to Scandi.
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 3:52*pm, "BigWallop" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

The paint you have described

[i.e. presumably the slamfärg I asked about]

has copper added to the solvent / pigment
mixture, so sounds very much like the new Red Lead Paint we have in the UK.

Very interesting. Thanks for this. How does this differ from "red
oxide" paint?

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

John Nagelson gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

The paint you have described

[i.e. presumably the slamfärg I asked about]

has copper added to the solvent / pigment mixture, so sounds very much
like the new Red Lead Paint we have in the UK.

Very interesting. Thanks for this. How does this differ from "red oxide"
paint?

Red Lead = Red Oxide - it used to be made with lead oxide.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13032

I don't believe it's the same thing at all as Falu rodfarg, being
primarily intended as a metal primer.
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 9:40*pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I think Finland is a bit better, except its illegal to smile. Its
allowed in Sweden

Yes, there are two permitted facial expressions in Sweden:

1) smiling
2) completely blank and zombie-like

No. 2) is preferred on the roads. If you let someone go before you
when driving, giving a friendly hand gesture to mean "OK, mate, after
you" - the sort of thing most drivers do every day in the UK - the
Swede will look at you as though you are a space alien.

Swedish pedestrians also wait at the roadside until the lights tell
them to cross the road, even if there is absolutely no traffic.

They always go to their allotted seats in cinemas even when the
cinemas are practically empty and they're stuck half behind a pillar.

They leave their lights and heating on full all night because they
think it's cheaper. Nice little earner for the electricity companies.

If they catch you in Sweden with a facial expression other than
"smiling" and "blank", you're left alone, though, if you're a
foreigner. They just assume your facial expression is permitted in the
country that you come from.

If they thought someone was making a facial expression on the basis of
HOW THEY WERE FEELING, rather than what was OFFICIALLY APPROPRIATE in
the given circumstances, they'd probably try to burn them at the
stake.

Sweden is quite amazing - kind of covered by 10 metres of the social
equivalent of mogadon.

And yes I have lived there.
For periods adding up to several years.

Isolated cottages in beautiful countryside are very cheap though. And
Britain, as has been pointed out, is a fscking rat-infested hell-hole.

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
John Nagelson gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

The paint you have described

[i.e. presumably the slamfärg I asked about]

has copper added to the solvent / pigment mixture, so sounds very much
like the new Red Lead Paint we have in the UK.

Very interesting. Thanks for this. How does this differ from "red oxide"
paint?

Red Lead = Red Oxide - it used to be made with lead oxide.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13032

I don't believe it's the same thing at all as Falu rodfarg, being
primarily intended as a metal primer.

It's now made with copper or zinc oxide additives (so as not to trouble the
tree huggers), and was also widely used, when it was actually lead, as a
protective coating for almost all surfaces that faced the weather. In fact,
the Forth Rail Bridge is being painted with the stuff as we speak, and
without the use of any top coatings. That's why the bridge has always been
red oxide in colour. So it has not just been used as a metal primer.

May I quote from an earlier post in this thread, Adrian.

"It's a byproduct of the ginormous copper mine at Falun, in Dalarna"

Note the word "copper" in this sentence. The bi-product referred to, is
copper oxide, which was found to give very good protection when it was
painted on surfaces that faced the weather. Who'd have thought it. Add it
to a solvent and a pigment and paint it on. Surface has now got quite a
good protective coating to guard it from the harsh elements outside.

-)

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default how to seal a "slamfï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿ ½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï ¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ ��

BigWallop wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

Not quite, according to this:

"The coating system employed for the steelwork requires blast cleaning
to bare metal; an application of zinc based primer to prevent corrosion
(35 microns); a glass flake epoxy intermediate coat providing a barrier
(400 microns); and, a polyurethane gloss top coat to give an attractive
€œForth Bridge Red€ finish (35 microns) on all of its estimated
400,000m². This system which has been tried and tested in an offshore
environment is designed to give a 20Â*year life which means the bridge
may be free of its legendary painters after 2009 for a short while!"

http://www.forthbridges.org.uk/railbridgemain.htm

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

Default how to seal a "slamf???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

"Rod" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

environment is designed to give a 20*year life which means the bridge
may be free of its legendary painters after 2009 for a short while!"

http://www.forthbridges.org.uk/railbridgemain.htm

Rod

Yeah right. And when I was standing beside the painters actually on the
bridge buttresses, it smelt awfully like Red Lead to me. Although it may
have zinc or copper oxide in it now-a-days, as I said before.

Microns thick? You believe a painter is going to measure the thickness of
his / her brush strokes / spray strokes? Get a grip. :-)

Shot blasted? Yes. Chipped with a little chipping hammer around the rivet
heads? Yes. Brushed clear with a steel wire brush? Yes again. Paint
thickness measured to the micron? Not on your life, mate. LOL

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

BigWallop wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

I thought they were all equipped with ultra-fine layer measuring
instruments. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

strictly thats cuprous oxide. Not copper oxide. Or something. Copper
oxide is black.
\I think there is lichen resistance on metal oxide loaded paints as well.
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

That is the key to the product. I had refrained from comment previously on
this issue. The "paint" is used on many timbered buildings and it is the
anti algal and lichen properties that are valued.

Quite a sight, the Falun mine and area thereabout.

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 02:14:50 -0800 (PST) John Nagelson wrote :
Swedish pedestrians also wait at the roadside until the lights
tell them to cross the road, even if there is absolutely no
traffic.

Here in Melbourne it is an offence, punishable by an on-the-spot
fine to cross when the red man is showing. My one misfortune, on an
earlier visit, was, one night, to wait at the side of an empty road
for the green man. He appeared, I started crossing ... and was hit
by a car turning right. Fortunately I bounced!

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
John Nagelson gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

snipped

strictly thats cuprous oxide. Not copper oxide. Or something. Copper
oxide is black.
\I think there is lichen resistance on metal oxide loaded paints as well.

I stand corrected. You are probably right. My inorganic chemistry
knowledge is very limited.

They do add the oxide to a solvent and heavy starch based pigment, which
might also provide some more protection against organic organism attack.
Like the bugs that live in seagull poo and things.

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

snipped

I thought they were all equipped with ultra-fine layer measuring
instruments. :-)

Rod

It's a bloke standing beside them with a set-square. He makes sure the
painters are standing perfectly vertical while the paint is applied. The
painter must be perfectly vertical because the equipment used can be
disturbed and loose its measuring capability to apply the perfect thickness
of paint to the area of application.

How they work it out is amazing. The pot held in the non-working hand (pot
holding hand) must be filled to a certain level at the initial outset. The
working hand (brush holding hand) needs to be kept going at the one rhythm
to make sure the application of the paint from the pot holding hand is kept
constant. If this rhythm is kept continuous for the full eight hours of
time allotted to the painter, and the pot is empty and the designated area
has been completely coated in the paint, then it must be at the proper
thickness. It's an amazing technical achievement to have it worked out to
such fine calculations.

Hats off to them, I say. :-)

Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

On 6 Dec, 13:09, Rod wrote:

I thought they were all equipped with ultra-fine layer measuring
instruments. :-)

Elcometer. Anyone involved in serious painting on structural steelwork
does indeed carry one around for just this purpose
Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y

On 6 Dec, 19:07, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

strictly thats cuprous oxide. Not copper oxide. Or something. Copper
oxide is black.

Copper oxide is either colour. You mean cuprous vs. cupric.