Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default how to seal a "slamfärg"-painted house (for over-painting with latex)?

On 5 Dec, 08:32, wrote:
John Nagelson wrote:
I have just bought a small cottage in northern Sweden. At the moment
the exterior wood is painted with "slamf rg", the red paint which
leaves a red powder on your hand if you rub it.

I would like to paint the house with latex paint. Various people have
told me that you shouldn't paint this directly onto slamf rg.

Is there a sealant that I can paint onto the "slamf rg", which I can
then paint the latex paint on top of??

If so, what is the sealant called, in either English or Swedish and
preferably both!!

Thanks in advance!

Michael

ISTR this red stuff having extremely long life expectancy. So it would
seem more practical to paint it with more slamfärg with added pigment
of your choice.

NT

Hmm - interesting.. for once Mr Google is defeated by 'slamfarg' and
so are the on-line dictionaries.

Just to put my pennyworth in (no doubt the Swedes have a similar coin
value for that!) - if this paint is traditional and long lasting then
it has been found to be highly effective over the years in protecting
the the wood. My gut reaction is that one of its attributes is
allowing the wood to breath - ie it is a successful vapour passing
membrane. I would have concern as to whether the latex paint has this
characteristic and hence would trap moisture in the wood.

Rob
One t