Posted to se.prat.diverse,uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default how to seal a "slamfärg"-painted house (for over-painting with latex)?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
BigWallop wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
John Nagelson gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

The paint you have described
[i.e. presumably the slamfärg I asked about]
has copper added to the solvent / pigment mixture, so sounds very
much like the new Red Lead Paint we have in the UK.
Very interesting. Thanks for this. How does this differ from "red
oxide" paint?
Red Lead = Red Oxide - it used to be made with lead oxide.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13032

I don't believe it's the same thing at all as Falu rodfarg, being
primarily intended as a metal primer.

It's now made with copper or zinc oxide additives (so as not to
trouble the tree huggers), and was also widely used, when it was
actually lead, as a protective coating for almost all surfaces that
faced the weather. In fact, the Forth Rail Bridge is being painted
with the stuff as we speak, and without the use of any top coatings.
That's why the bridge has always been red oxide in colour. So it
has not just been used as a metal primer. May I quote from an earlier
post in this thread, Adrian.

"It's a byproduct of the ginormous copper mine at Falun, in Dalarna"

Note the word "copper" in this sentence. The bi-product referred
to, is copper oxide, which was found to give very good protection
when it was painted on surfaces that faced the weather. Who'd have
thought it. Add it to a solvent and a pigment and paint it on. Surface
has now got quite a good protective coating to guard it from
the harsh elements outside. -)

strictly thats cuprous oxide. Not copper oxide. Or something. Copper
oxide is black.
\I think there is lichen resistance on metal oxide loaded paints as
well.

That is the key to the product. I had refrained from comment previously on
this issue. The "paint" is used on many timbered buildings and it is the
anti algal and lichen properties that are valued.

Quite a sight, the Falun mine and area thereabout.