Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Council recycling grinds to a halt

Andy Burns wrote:
David Hansen wrote:

I don't buy [tetrapaks] that often, but if I do then a little slosh
around in the dishwater and they go in with the paper and cardboard.

But lots of them are foil lined.

For making hats?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:49:19 -0000 Don wrote :
I remember reading a report in the early 70's about a well known
charity, where it was revealed that after the deduction of
salaries, expenses, rents etc etc., only 5% actually went to
famine relief!

For any UK charity you can look up the accounts on the Charity
Commission web site. I think that the ones with a lot of grassroot
support such as Oxfam, RNLI etc tell an OK story, but out of idle
curiosity I used to check some of the ones that sent unsolicited
appeals through the post and they did spend nearly everything on
self-promotion.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod
saying something like:

If we have to sort things by type, I would prefer a multi-compartment
bin. So we can put things into the right compartments and they could
scoop up one bin and empty it into three/four divisions of the
lorry. Or even empty all four separate containers at the same time.

I watched with incredulity and amusement as a large open-topped truck
came into my local bottle/tin bank collection point and proceeded to
empty the different colours of glass containers into the back of
itself.

Thing was... the open-topped lorry back didn't have any separation at
all.

Idiots.

Same at our local tip, large metal container with holes in the sides. One
side painted brown, other painted green - large signs 'Green Glass Only'
etc - no internal divider.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

And broken glass not allowed :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David Hansen writes:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:41:09 +0000 someone who may be Andy Burns
wrote this:-

We have to trek if we want to recycle tetra-paks

I don't buy the things that often, but if I do then a little slosh
around in the dishwater and they go in with the paper and cardboard.

That wrecks the quality of the recycled paper. A tiny amount
of contamination with foiled and waxed paper containers means
the council gets almost nothing for it, and any more than that
and it can't be recycled and will end up in landfill or being
burned.

As I understand it they remove the plastic tops and deal with them
separately. The plastic lids go in the plastic recycling bins with
other plastic of the same type.

It's the foiled or waxed card which is the problem.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon writes:

Ok, so why do they make a big thing about separating them all out? Then
moan like feck when people do make the odd mistake?
Like I said, idiots.

Recycling glass nto new glass was, like many things, something
lots of people jumped on the bandwaggon before realising it was
pointless. A lot of it is about making people feel they're doing
something useful. The term "Driving to the bottle bank" is used
as a euphemism for pointless recycling.

Used glass is pretty much useless to the glass industry - it
couldn't be made pure enough. It piled up, until councils
discovered they could bury it under new roads claiming it was
recycled sand (which strictly it is), without being charged
landfill tax, and that's what they currently do. It costs
a lot more to collect it and process it into glass cullet
than new sand.

Glass collection is a fascinating social service though. We
have open boxes to put it in. As you travel around the town
on collection days, you can see quite marked variations on
the contents of the boxes. In some areas, the boxes are
overflowing with belgium beer bottles, and in other areas
they're overflowing with champagne bottles, and I mean
overflowing every time they're collected.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Re-cycling is a total waste of time - I don't do it under protest. It takes
far more energy to collect and sort the stuff than to burn it and produce
needed electricity. Stack scrubbers are now very advanced. Even the Defra
web site had the low emissions of the stacks, yet councils were forcing
people to re-cycle or be fined. Most things can burn. Incendiary is iron
and aluminium.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,

Glass collection is a fascinating social service though. We
have open boxes to put it in. As you travel around the town
on collection days, you can see quite marked variations on
the contents of the boxes. In some areas, the boxes are
overflowing with belgium beer bottles, and in other areas
they're overflowing with champagne bottles, and I mean
overflowing every time they're collected.

Of course they are Andrew!! If the council are going to the trouble of
laying on these glass collection services, the least I can do is to make it
worth their while )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Interesting consequence of the credit crunch...

We mentioned a few weeks back how price for scrap copper and lead
had plumetted. Same thing has happened for the recyclable rubbish.
Councils suddenly can't get rid of the recycled rubbish they collect.
Some items such as the plastics have dropped to very low prices.
Some items such as paper/cardboard only have any value from those
councils which take only paper and insist you tear out things like
transparent windows from envelopes so the end result is high quality.
Even this is expected to come to an end as postal advertising stops.
Chorus (formerly British Steel) have stopped taking all recyclable
steel [tins] (steel production has dropped to the point where they can
meet it entirely from their long term iron ore contracts, which they
can't get out of).

Councils are looking for somewhere to stockpile the recyclables until
the recession ends, and have asked if they can use military bases.

Why are councils looking for these facilities? Most of the time the
councils are saying everything is contracted out - surely that would
include the responsibility for handling what is collected? Or is it like
so many contracts, the important bit is left with the council - only the
remunerative bit is accepted by the contractor?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:50:08 +0000, John wrote:

David Hansen wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 22:45:47 +0000 someone who may be Rod
wrote this:-

Surely almost anything is more sensible than having four separate
collections from every house in the area? (As we have.)

Are these four collections made every week?

Here in Preston, Lancashire, we have a box for plastic bottles and
cardboard, a second box for paper, a third box for cans, a fourth box
for glass bottles and a brown wheelie bin for garden waste - all that is
collected one week and the following week is the collection for the grey
wheelie-bin for landfill rubbish.

So that's North Ribble? South Ribble get a box for mixed plastic & metal,
a second box usually containing cardboard & glass, a brown garden waste
wheelie, a grey landfill waste wheelie & a blue bag for paper recycling
(remembering to tear out the windows from envelopes of course!). The grey
bin & blue bag are collected together and the rest on the alternate week.

Perhaps they ran out of boxes for us... :-(

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]

Yeah, North of the Ribble (Fulwood). The council said that they'll also
supply extra boxes/bins to anyone who needs them - I should be charging the
council ground rent for all the bloody boxes/bins I've had to find room for
)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:35:14 -0000, "John" wrote:

mick wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:50:08 +0000, John wrote:

Perhaps they ran out of boxes for us... :-(

Yeah, North of the Ribble (Fulwood). The council said that they'll also
supply extra boxes/bins to anyone who needs them - I should be charging the
council ground rent for all the bloody boxes/bins I've had to find room for
)

My attitude too.
When the council started this they just announced it with no
consultation. Someone left a big green box outside my front door. I
left it there. After a few days the wind blew it away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:32:45 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

The old system of deposit returnable bottles did work quite well in its
day; (fond memories of a tanner a jar and tuppence a bottle) kids are
natural scavengers for that kind of thing, but nowadays it probably
wouldn't work unless things get much worse.

I think it would if you got 5p back on your empties. Might stop the local
youth smashing their bottles around the Market Cross and shelter...

The argument that would be put up against it is that you'd have to have
people coming round to to collect the empties. Note plural they would
insist that each different makers bottle would have to be sorted by the
store and collected by that maker.

The obvious way around that is for the empty delivery lorry/dray to take
them en-mass bacl to the distribution depot were they can be sorted and
the makers empty delivery vans can take them back to the maker for reuse.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Many, many years ago I worked delivering lemonade. In general, all the
makers could use each other's bottles - with one exception. Only Barrs
could use their own bottles (they had a twisty patterned bit on their
necks) - but they could also use any other design.

We (not Barrs) used to get a few bottles, or even whole cases, of Barrs
bottles on the rounds. Back at the depot they were generally put to one
side. That pile grew and grew - and last I saw represented at least a
full artic load. Barrs were asked if they would come and pick them up
(free - we were not expecting to recoup the deposit that we had given to
the shops), but they simply were not interested. No idea of the eventual
resolution. But it certainly showed me that the system would never work
properly unless the bottles were all the same (for a given basic size/type).

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:10:59 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:32:45 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

The old system of deposit returnable bottles did work quite well in its
day; (fond memories of a tanner a jar and tuppence a bottle) kids are
natural scavengers for that kind of thing, but nowadays it probably
wouldn't work unless things get much worse.

I think it would if you got 5p back on your empties. Might stop the local
youth smashing their bottles around the Market Cross and shelter...

I doubt it somehow. Youth these days don't seem to be interested in
'small change' - in fact it might be seen as a sort of act of bravado
to smash up things with a tangible value...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Many of the clothing collection schemes are a scam. You'll find your
clothes being sold on in Eastern Europe and the money pocketed by the
organisers with buggerall given to charity.

Yep - the one I had through the door the other day doesn't mention the
word charity or make any reference to needy people at all. It just asks
nicely for your clothes and leaves people to assume.

My old clothes get used for sailing, then general DIY, then
painting/siliconing, then become rags or used for other purposes. I have
an opened up rugby shirt acting as a curtain to catch sparks from my
grinder rather than have them fly into the shelves next to it, and part
of a pair of jeans forming a sort of hood to prevent sunlight shining
into the back of my welding mask and making it hard to see through the
dark glass.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many of the clothing collection schemes are a scam. You'll find your
clothes being sold on in Eastern Europe and the money pocketed by the
organisers with buggerall given to charity.

Yep - the one I had through the door the other day doesn't mention the
word charity or make any reference to needy people at all. It just asks
nicely for your clothes and leaves people to assume.

Creeps. I've seen their shops in Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary
and Romania. They're about as charitable as Primark and probably a
lot bigger.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Nov, 00:25, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:49:19 -0000 Don wrote :

I remember reading a report in the early 70's about a well known
charity, where it was revealed that after the deduction of
salaries, expenses, rents etc etc., only 5% actually went to
famine relief!

For any UK charity you can look up the accounts on the Charity
Commission web site. I think that the ones with a lot of grassroot
support such as Oxfam, RNLI etc tell an OK story...

They have very good accountants. One Large Uk Charity boasts of
spending 95%+ of its income on projects. Which would be nicer if the
projects didn't have to spend large amounts on administrative support
from headquarters.

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Nov, 11:33, David Hansen
wrote:

Would you prefer sorting of these items at the roadside, with the
staff placing them in a multi-compartment lorry, as some councils
do?

I've watched that happen in Oxford. Well, what I actually watched
happen, on several occasions, was the staff tipping all the recyclable
stuff (partially presorted into paper, glass etc) into one container
and then settling down at the roadside for a twenty minute paper and
fag break before moving a couple of hundred yards to do the same
again.

Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:32:45 +0000 Grimly Curmudgeon wrote :
The old system of deposit returnable bottles did work quite well
in its day; (fond memories of a tanner a jar and tuppence a
bottle) kids are natural scavengers for that kind of thing, but
nowadays it probably wouldn't work unless things get much worse.

I remember it well. Our youth club bought Coke by the crate and
the crates of empties were put out for collection when the next
delivery was made.

When I was in New York a good few years ago there seemed to be
some sort of deposit system on cans - it looked as if any outlet
selling canned drinks had to give you back 5c or whatever on empty
cans. My guess is that they didn't expect most people to go the
bother of doing so, but those who might otherwise be begging could
scavenge bins and return the cans, thus reducing litter and
keeping them busy.

A plastic soft drink bottle I bought last week had a note on the
label about a 5c deposit in South Australia, so perhaps they do
something similar, again more probably as an anti-litter thing.

When I visited Zambia in the late 1980s, soft drinks cost
something like ZK15 - 5 for the contents, 10 deposit on the bottle
- probably 99.9% reuse!

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:26:11 +0000, Rod wrote:

... it certainly showed me that the system would never work properly
unless the bottles were all the same (for a given basic size/type).

Could be made to work though by specifying a range for bottle diameter,
and postion/size of opening relative to the base. Give those companies
that comply and collect/reuse bottles a some "carbon credits".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:32:45 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

The old system of deposit returnable bottles did work quite well in its
day; (fond memories of a tanner a jar and tuppence a bottle) kids are
natural scavengers for that kind of thing, but nowadays it probably
wouldn't work unless things get much worse.

I think it would if you got 5p back on your empties. Might stop the local
youth smashing their bottles around the Market Cross and shelter...

I doubt it somehow. Youth these days don't seem to be interested in
'small change' - in fact it might be seen as a sort of act of bravado
to smash up things with a tangible value...

If you provide things for free, they have intrinsically zero value.

If your only way of getting a fiver for a packet of fags is to collect
100 empty bottles, and it takes all day, you will.

If you have to spend all day queueing in the social security office to
get £5, you will.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:26:11 +0000, Rod wrote:

... it certainly showed me that the system would never work properly
unless the bottles were all the same (for a given basic size/type).

Could be made to work though by specifying a range for bottle diameter,
and postion/size of opening relative to the base. Give those companies
that comply and collect/reuse bottles a some "carbon credits".

Agreed - some tolerance around a basic spec. would be possible. But once
into the idea of sameness, the companies might find it cheaper and
easier to just buy standard bottles in.

Maybe negative credits for non-compliance?

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:26:11 +0000, Rod wrote:

... it certainly showed me that the system would never work properly
unless the bottles were all the same (for a given basic size/type).

Could be made to work though by specifying a range for bottle diameter,
and postion/size of opening relative to the base. Give those companies
that comply and collect/reuse bottles a some "carbon credits".

Agreed - some tolerance around a basic spec. would be possible. But once
into the idea of sameness, the companies might find it cheaper and
easier to just buy standard bottles in.

Maybe negative credits for non-compliance?

There's a lot more awareness today re antisocial behaviour,
litigation, and the massive amount of commercial dmage one incident
can do to a brand. Why would any company
a) choose to pay for a very extensive set of testing for every bottle
or
b) take the risk of the above scenario
with no profit motive. It just doesnt add up today.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:32:45 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

The old system of deposit returnable bottles did work quite well in its
day; (fond memories of a tanner a jar and tuppence a bottle) kids are
natural scavengers for that kind of thing, but nowadays it probably
wouldn't work unless things get much worse.

I think it would if you got 5p back on your empties. Might stop the local
youth smashing their bottles around the Market Cross and shelter...

I doubt it somehow. Youth these days don't seem to be interested in
'small change' - in fact it might be seen as a sort of act of bravado
to smash up things with a tangible value...

Thats true of most, but there are always some that get no pocket money
and are willing to do such stuff.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:51:11 GMT someone who may be "The Medway
Handyman" wrote this:-

Same at our local tip, large metal container with holes in the sides. One
side painted brown, other painted green - large signs 'Green Glass Only'
etc - no internal divider.

That does not mean it is the same everywhere. At all the collecting
points around here there are three separate containers for glass and
they are collected separately. I have also seen, in other places,
class sorted at the roadside into individual compartments.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember David Hansen
saying something like:

That does not mean it is the same everywhere. At all the collecting
points around here there are three separate containers for glass and
they are collected separately. I have also seen, in other places,
class sorted at the roadside into individual compartments.

When the truck arrives...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

I read something rcently about a sorting machine that worked on the
shards of glass - automatically separating by colour. Hence, at
collection point, no separation necessary. Or was it a dream... ?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:42:34 +0000 someone who may be Grimly
Curmudgeon wrote this:-

That does not mean it is the same everywhere. At all the collecting
points around here there are three separate containers for glass and
they are collected separately. I have also seen, in other places,
class sorted at the roadside into individual compartments.

When the truck arrives...

Lorries arrive separately for the various containers.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:35:14 +0000, John wrote:

snip

Yeah, North of the Ribble (Fulwood). The council said that they'll also
supply extra boxes/bins to anyone who needs them - I should be charging
the council ground rent for all the bloody boxes/bins I've had to find
room for )

We've been told that although we can have additional recycling boxes on
request, we would need to prove a requirement for an additional grey
(landfill) bin. I've no idea where to put any more anyway...

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Filtering everything posted from googlegroups to kill spam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember David Hansen
saying something like:

When the truck arrives...

Lorries arrive separately for the various containers.

Do
They
****

They do in Dave's idealised world.

In the real world, we don't even have different containers for the
glass..yes we have a white, green and a brown one, but they all say
'mixed glass'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
In the real world, we don't even have different containers for the
glass..yes we have a white, green and a brown one, but they all say
'mixed glass'

The large ones with separate holes all had the internal dividing
partitions removed very early on, as soon as they realised it
couldn't be viably recycled into new glass.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:49:45 +0000 someone who may be Grimly
Curmudgeon wrote this:-

When the truck arrives...

Lorries arrive separately for the various containers.

Do
They
****

Yawn. Proof by assertion and swearing. It may convince some, but the
sensible can see through the bluster.

By the way, I live close enough to observe the comings and goings of
the lorries. It is mildly amusing that you appear to assert that you
know more about what happens where I live then I do.

Should you wish to be the butt of further laughter you may have the
last word.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh