Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Council recycling grinds to a halt

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:10:59 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:32:45 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

The old system of deposit returnable bottles did work quite well in its
day; (fond memories of a tanner a jar and tuppence a bottle) kids are
natural scavengers for that kind of thing, but nowadays it probably
wouldn't work unless things get much worse.

I think it would if you got 5p back on your empties. Might stop the local
youth smashing their bottles around the Market Cross and shelter...

I doubt it somehow. Youth these days don't seem to be interested in
'small change' - in fact it might be seen as a sort of act of bravado
to smash up things with a tangible value...

If you provide things for free, they have intrinsically zero value.

If your only way of getting a fiver for a packet of fags is to collect
100 empty bottles, and it takes all day, you will.

If you have to spend all day queueing in the social security office to
get £5, you will.