Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Council recycling grinds to a halt

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:06:09 UTC, David Hansen
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:42:34 +0000 someone who may be Grimly
Curmudgeon wrote this:-

That does not mean it is the same everywhere. At all the collecting
points around here there are three separate containers for glass and
they are collected separately. I have also seen, in other places,
class sorted at the roadside into individual compartments.

When the truck arrives...

Lorries arrive separately for the various containers.

Which proves just that. They can still go to the same place, and empty
in the same pile. And probably do.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod wrote:
But possibly not as mad as having had at least three clothing collection
bags through the letterbox in the last week.

Ideal to replace rubbish sacks. Waste not want not.

--
*If only you'd use your powers for good instead of evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember David Hansen
saying something like:

Lorries arrive separately for the various containers.

Do
They
****

Yawn. Proof by assertion and swearing. It may convince some, but the
sensible can see through the bluster.

By the way, I live close enough to observe the comings and goings of
the lorries. It is mildly amusing that you appear to assert that you
know more about what happens where I live then I do.

Should you wish to be the butt of further laughter you may have the
last word.

"Proof by assertion", priceless, considering that's exactly what you're
doing yourself - for your own area. In my area, I described exactly what
I saw, so don't tell me I'm making it up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 00:03:14 +0000, Pete Verdon
d wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Many of the clothing collection schemes are a scam. You'll find your
clothes being sold on in Eastern Europe and the money pocketed by the
organisers with buggerall given to charity.

Yep - the one I had through the door the other day doesn't mention the
word charity or make any reference to needy people at all. It just asks
nicely for your clothes and leaves people to assume.

I've had one recently that says they will donate up to x thousands of
pounds a year to charity x. They clearly quote the name of charity x
together with the registered number of the charity but "up to x
thousand" will almost certainly mean 1p. The very small print shows
the company name and address as a commercial operation not remotely
related to the charity in any shape or form.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Curmudgeon wrote this:-

That does not mean it is the same everywhere. At all the collecting
points around here there are three separate containers for glass and
they are collected separately. I have also seen, in other places,
class sorted at the roadside into individual compartments.

When the truck arrives...

Lorries arrive separately for the various containers.

Which proves just that. They can still go to the same place, and empty
in the same pile. And probably do.

Going by what they do at one of the largest bottle producting plants
in the UK everything clear, green or brown goes into one pile used
for producing brown glass.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:04:40 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

If you provide things for free, they have intrinsically zero value.

Yep and are thus completely disposable.

If your only way of getting a fiver for a packet of fags is to collect
100 empty bottles, and it takes all day, you will.

Or getting Business Class flights back home after your Honey Moon cruise,
collecting 60,000+ items to get Tesco points and trading them for
Airmiles.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7654254.stm

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Nov 2008 23:45:13 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager"
wrote this:-

Lorries arrive separately for the various containers.

Which proves just that. They can still go to the same place, and empty
in the same pile.

Of course.

And probably do.

Ah, proof by assertion again. Glad to see that there are no better
arguments.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod
saying something like:

If we have to sort things by type, I would prefer a
multi-compartment bin. So we can put things into the right
compartments and they could scoop up one bin and empty it into
three/four divisions of the lorry. Or even empty all four separate
containers at the same time.
I watched with incredulity and amusement as a large open-topped
truck came into my local bottle/tin bank collection point and
proceeded to empty the different colours of glass containers into
the back of itself.

Thing was... the open-topped lorry back didn't have any separation
at all.

Idiots.

Same at our local tip, large metal container with holes in the
sides. One side painted brown, other painted green - large signs
'Green Glass Only' etc - no internal divider.

I read something rcently about a sorting machine that worked on the
shards of glass - automatically separating by colour. Hence, at
collection point, no separation necessary. Or was it a dream... ?

One near me sorts as you put the bottles in. It's a huge beast, about half
the size of an artic trailer, but has only two openings - and you can only
put one bottle in each opening at a time, so it's slower than the standard
banks. A few weeks ago I had to wait about 10 minutes because a guy had a
laptop plugged into it, he'd done some diagnostics and was then rebooting
it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

PM wrote:
Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

I suppose it runs Windows? boom, boom :-)

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Or getting Business Class flights back home after your Honey Moon cruise,
collecting 60,000+ items to get Tesco points and trading them for
Airmiles.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7654254.stm

They cheated.

"The couple ... maximised their point-earning potential by cutting cans in
half"

Owain

"For every four recycled items, you earn a reward point".
Not for every four recycled *whole* items, you earn a reward point..

So how have they cheated?

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

Don wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Or getting Business Class flights back home after your Honey Moon
cruise, collecting 60,000+ items to get Tesco points and trading
them for Airmiles.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7654254.stm

They cheated.

"The couple ... maximised their point-earning potential by cutting
cans in half"

Owain

"For every four recycled items, you earn a reward point".
Not for every four recycled *whole* items, you earn a reward point..

So how have they cheated?

Why only cut them in half then?
Shoulda smashed the bottles before putting them in, too!