Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

Default Council recycling grinds to a halt

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod
saying something like:

If we have to sort things by type, I would prefer a
multi-compartment bin. So we can put things into the right
compartments and they could scoop up one bin and empty it into
three/four divisions of the lorry. Or even empty all four separate
containers at the same time.
I watched with incredulity and amusement as a large open-topped
truck came into my local bottle/tin bank collection point and
proceeded to empty the different colours of glass containers into
the back of itself.

Thing was... the open-topped lorry back didn't have any separation
at all.

Idiots.

Same at our local tip, large metal container with holes in the
sides. One side painted brown, other painted green - large signs
'Green Glass Only' etc - no internal divider.

I read something rcently about a sorting machine that worked on the
shards of glass - automatically separating by colour. Hence, at
collection point, no separation necessary. Or was it a dream... ?

One near me sorts as you put the bottles in. It's a huge beast, about half
the size of an artic trailer, but has only two openings - and you can only
put one bottle in each opening at a time, so it's slower than the standard
banks. A few weeks ago I had to wait about 10 minutes because a guy had a
laptop plugged into it, he'd done some diagnostics and was then rebooting
it!