Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help ! Dog versus fridge door.

A friends dog .. a delightful black Cocker spaniel, has found his way
past the fridge door and now enjoys fine dining whenever he wants ...
nearly.
A child lock has been put on the fridge, but it seems very weak with
little purchase actually onto the door and he has cracked the
"password" on that one.
Can anyone reccomend a lock of good quality?

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
A friends dog .. a delightful black Cocker spaniel, has found his way
past the fridge door and now enjoys fine dining whenever he wants ...
nearly.
A child lock has been put on the fridge, but it seems very weak with
little purchase actually onto the door and he has cracked the
"password" on that one.
Can anyone reccomend a lock of good quality?

Mike P

Duct tape? Kick in the ********? No?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:59:44 -0000, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Mike wrote:
A friends dog .. a delightful black Cocker spaniel, has found his way
past the fridge door and now enjoys fine dining whenever he wants ...
nearly.
A child lock has been put on the fridge, but it seems very weak with
little purchase actually onto the door and he has cracked the
"password" on that one.
Can anyone reccomend a lock of good quality?

Mike P

Duct tape? Kick in the ********? No?

Si

Duct tape is helping to hold the "lock" more firmly on.

******** ? He has had the BIG snip :-)

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mike wrote:
A friends dog .. a delightful black Cocker spaniel, has found his way
past the fridge door and now enjoys fine dining whenever he wants ...
nearly.
A child lock has been put on the fridge, but it seems very weak with
little purchase actually onto the door and he has cracked the
"password" on that one.
Can anyone reccomend a lock of good quality?

Mike P

Duct tape? Kick in the ********? No?

Si

Duct tape is helping to hold the "lock" more firmly on.

******** ? He has had the BIG snip :-)

Mike P

Apart from getting rid of the dog simply tie strong rope around it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
A friends dog .. a delightful black Cocker spaniel, has found his way
past the fridge door and now enjoys fine dining whenever he wants ...
nearly.
A child lock has been put on the fridge, but it seems very weak with
little purchase actually onto the door and he has cracked the
"password" on that one.
Can anyone reccomend a lock of good quality?

It's not a lock that is needed, it's the dog appreciating it's place in
the "pack".
The dog needs to be treated as the lowest level pack member.
Unfortunately most humans are completley un-able to treat their dogs
like dogs rather than humans (equals)

Tell them to watch "the dog whisperer" (currently on sky3 I think)and
stick to the rules of nature rather than trying to find solutions to the
problems and confusion they've caused in the dog's mind.

The problem is not the fridge nor the dog. It's the owners.
99% of all dog "problems" are the results of owners non compliance with
nature.

Rectifying a delightfull cocker spaniel should be quite painless and
quickly acheivable especially if it is naturally submissive rather than
dominant.

They need to "own the fridge" and defend it reprimanding any attempts
the dog makes to help it's self.

HTH
Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mike wrote:
A friends dog .. a delightful black Cocker spaniel, has found his
way past the fridge door and now enjoys fine dining whenever he
wants ... nearly.
A child lock has been put on the fridge, but it seems very weak with
little purchase actually onto the door and he has cracked the
"password" on that one.
Can anyone reccomend a lock of good quality?

Mike P

Duct tape? Kick in the ********? No?

Si

Duct tape is helping to hold the "lock" more firmly on.

******** ? He has had the BIG snip :-)

Hmmm... watch towers and snipers then. It's the only way you can be sure.
Either that or "NO!" every time it goes near the fridge.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:15:10 +0000, Owain
wrote:

Mike wrote:
A friends dog .. a delightful black Cocker spaniel, has found his way
past the fridge door and now enjoys fine dining whenever he wants ...
nearly.
A child lock has been put on the fridge, but it seems very weak with
little purchase actually onto the door and he has cracked the
"password" on that one.
Can anyone reccomend a lock of good quality?

I'd put a rack bolt on (recessed into) the door, with a piece of
metal bolted on to the side of the fridge protruding forwards, with a
hole in it to form a keep for the bolt.

Obviously keep the key out of the dog's reach - this is a cocker spaniel
after all.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/49530/

Owain

How about a piece of webbing strap with one of them rucksack type
fastenings where you press both sides to open it and just push the
prongs in to close it . surely it wouldn't be able to open that
until it gets trained and put back in the pecking order where it
belongs ( and that is right at the bottom) and the sooner that
retraining takes place the better for all concerned .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

A friends dog .. a delightful black Cocker spaniel, has found his way
past the fridge door and now enjoys fine dining whenever he wants ...
nearly.
A child lock has been put on the fridge, but it seems very weak with
little purchase actually onto the door and he has cracked the
"password" on that one.
Can anyone reccomend a lock of good quality?

Mike P

I have an old half-hundredweight weight which comes in useful on such
occasions. I would just stand that in front of the fridge door, preventing
it from opening. A human could move it out of the way when required, but a
dog couldn't.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:22:26 +0000, Mike wrote:

A friends dog .. a delightful black Cocker spaniel, has found his way
past the fridge door and now enjoys fine dining whenever he wants ...
nearly.

Discipline the dog. If you (or your friend) let it get away with this
behaviour it'll start exploring what else it can get away with and become
even worse. Dogs are pack animals and they must be kept at bottom of the
human family "pack"(*). If someone in the family ends up below the dog (in
the dogs eyes) they are quite likely to get hurt when they try to reassert
their authority over the dog.

(*) This doesn't mean cruelty or severe punishment but firm and consistent
discipline on it's behavior from all the family members.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:06:42 -0000, "Roger Mills"

Mike wrote:

A friends dog .. a delightful black Cocker spaniel, has found his way
past the fridge door and now enjoys fine dining whenever he wants ...
nearly.
A child lock has been put on the fridge, but it seems very weak with
little purchase actually onto the door and he has cracked the
"password" on that one.
Can anyone reccomend a lock of good quality?

Mike P

I have an old half-hundredweight weight which comes in useful on such
occasions. I would just stand that in front of the fridge door, preventing
it from opening. A human could move it out of the way when required, but a
dog couldn't.

Could tie the dog up to it .That would slow it own a bit..LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A friends dog .. a delightful black Cocker spaniel, has found his way
past the fridge door and now enjoys fine dining whenever he wants ...
nearly.

Until you resolve the problem, leave a bowl of complete dog biscuits
down so it can snack all it wants :-}

Yell at it if it goes for the fridge, and praise it if it eats the
biscuits...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

(*) This doesn't mean cruelty or severe punishment but firm and consistent
discipline on it's behavior from all the family members.

It's the "all familly members" bit that is the hardest bit to acheive,
which makes consistencey of heirachy in the pack more awkward.

Discipline not being whacking or hitting the dog or shutting it out in
the rain, just an expression of dominance through body posture and lack
of "respect" for the dogs own space - The Dog being bottom of the pack
has NO space and no right to space and absolutely nothing "belongs" to
the dog, not bed, nor toys, nor food, nor furniture, not garden, nothing.

Dog is nothing more than dog. This is what dog understands and knows and
is at it's happiest being treated as such.

Dog gets off furniture for human to sit, human should always take
furniture space currently occupied by dog even if alternative seating is
available, human never ever backs down in human - dog "arguement" no
matter how long human has to stand their ground and advance into dog's
temporary battleground.

Once dog is back at the bottom, then human gives affection when dog is
showing submission and respect to pack leader.

Very very simple rules to understand but for most, impossible to apply.

:¬)

"See this holds up hand in a claw posture this is a bite"

Also works well with small boys.
;¬)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This dog is no numpty .... when anyone is about, the fridge might as
well be invisible, even when the door is open. he casts not an eye
upon it.
He lives in the kitchen and just bides his time for when he is left
alone.
A bin is put in front of the fridge door when the family remembers,
but with forgetful teenagers in the house plan B fails.

I feel it is no use shouting at the well fed dog, hours after the
event.

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 23:19:03 +0000, Mike wrote:

This dog is no numpty .... when anyone is about, the fridge might as
well be invisible, even when the door is open. he casts not an eye
upon it.
He lives in the kitchen and just bides his time for when he is left
alone.
A bin is put in front of the fridge door when the family remembers,
but with forgetful teenagers in the house plan B fails.

I feel it is no use shouting at the well fed dog, hours after the
event.

Mike P

You've been told how to deal with it .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Serious answer (apart from agreeing with other posts) bungee cord / luggage
elastic.

Fun answer (being a horse owner and having these to hand), electric fencer

(and I don't mean it's funny to electrocute dogs, I mean that it's a humane
way to provide automatic reinforcement of the "don't touch" message)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

He lives in the kitchen and just bides his time for when he is left
alone.

I expect you'll find the kitchen (and everything in it) is, in his mind
"his". Sounds like he is very submissive and allows people to wonder
through "his" domain without conflict but has never been challenged over
who actually "owns" the space.

A bin is put in front of the fridge door when the family remembers,
but with forgetful teenagers in the house plan B fails.

I feel it is no use shouting at the well fed dog, hours after the
event.

I suspect the other failing that many owners fail to consider is "breed"
in respect to what the animal has been bred to do.

to quote a few lines from on-line sources..

They were originally designed as a hunting companion for flushing and
retrieving game.
The English Cocker Spaniel is an active, yet compact sporting dog.
Cocker Spaniel is designed to energetically cover ground and penetrate
dense cover.
English Cocker Spaniels can live in any environment, provided they have
daily exercise.
Brisk walks, fetching or field work can keep an English Cocker Spaniel
in excellent shape.

So basically you have a sports dog that wants and needs to be challenged
physically and mentally every day. Not a 10 minute walk around the
block or allowed to do it's own thing in the garden, a breed that needs
to be retreiving balls and sticks, running around for an hour every day,
performing it's inherrent fundamental requirements as a breed.

Sounds like the dog isn't getting enough (or any) daily exercise, or if
he is it's nowhere near physically or mentally challenging enough.
He's not able to do what he (as a breed) _needs_ to do so is doing it
when it's clear he has no other option.

Perhaps a (small) dog bought for the kids who are now too busy to carry
out all their promises to exercise the dog daily?

I have a feeling we may be barking up the wrong tree (ha, got one in at
last) with the "pecking order" direction of thought and what this poor
dog needs is a bloody good long, hard run for an hour a day to keep him
content.

Dogs fundamental needs in order of priority are..
EXERCISE (very minimum of 40 minutes hard exercise per day)
DISCIPLINE (Dog kept in lowest position of group)
Affection (when dog is submissive ONLY)

I know I keep referring back to the brilliant "Cesar Milan a.k.a. "The
Dog Whisperer" but I wish he had been around 30 years ago instead of
"Walkies" Barbra Woodhouse.

Remember... "Sporting Dog bred to actively flush out and retreive"
People mistakenly think "small dog won't require much exercise" but all
dogs regardless of size need a minimum 40 minutes brisk exercise 7 days
a week, 365 days a year.
Walking (or running) the dog is also another place where the dog
actively has his place in the pack reinforced and the pack leaders (all
familly members) actively "lead" the pack !

That's as much as I have learnt and put into practice with my own beasts
with dramatic behavourial changes from a very dominant and
dog-aggressive 14 yr old GreatDane/Greyhound dog and an 8 yr old
"wannabe boss" yappy, growly chihoua/fruitbat mix bitch.
Hence my admiriation for Cesar Milan and his TV show as even after 10
years of raging savage uncontrolabillity with the big dog and incessant
yapping with the small dog I have been able to make unbellievable
changes to both dogs in less than 12 months by simple pack rules
previously outlined.

Hope it helps your freind. But I Still think and expect it's a boredom
thing and no sufficient daily emergy release.

Cheers
Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
Serious answer (apart from agreeing with other posts) bungee cord /
luggage elastic.

Fun answer (being a horse owner and having these to hand), electric fencer

(and I don't mean it's funny to electrocute dogs, I mean that it's a
humane way to provide automatic reinforcement of the "don't touch"
message)

I'll bet the owner laughed the first few times! (rewarded the behaviour)

Also - watch "Dog Borstal"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:22:26 +0000, Mike wrote:

A friends dog .. a delightful black Cocker spaniel, has found his way
past the fridge door and now enjoys fine dining whenever he wants ...
nearly.
A child lock has been put on the fridge, but it seems very weak with
little purchase actually onto the door and he has cracked the
"password" on that one.
Can anyone reccomend a lock of good quality?

You don't need a lock.
http://www.koreanair.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 1:03*am, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk" discount-fitness-
wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

If you need more dominance, one way is to eat from the dog's bowl
before giving the food to him/her. You can do this by putting a human
biscuit on a spoon on top of the meat, and let doggy watch you eat it
first.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in
message ...
Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

So quite the opposite of a cat:-) But I could not agree more with what you
have said. I once went out with a girl that had an Alsation. The Alsation
was the pack leader. I had a Border Terrier at the time and she thought that
I was cruel for not letting it into my bed at night and onto the setee
whenever it wanted!

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 7:14*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Adam- Hide quoted text -

Forgotton the word for it.... toggle?
Get a flat metal bracket, 16mm x 50mm x 2mm with a hole in the
middle, and screw it loosely to the frame of the fridge above the
door. horizontally you can get in. vertical, dog cant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tonyjeffs" wrote in message
On Oct 29, 7:14 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

The correct solution is to attach a chain to the dog and stop it getting in
the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:29:38 -0700 (PDT), tonyjeffs
wrote:

On Oct 29, 7:14*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

But,again,this suggestion does not answer the real problem .The dog
should be trained to know it's place and not even attempt to get in to
the fridge .

Fridge door won't close 32andtwentyseven Home Repair 12 October 24th 07 02:28 AM
Security versus safety - flat door locking [email protected] UK diy 49 August 26th 06 08:47 AM
fridge door seals Gordon UK diy 7 March 25th 06 09:26 PM
Help With Fridge with No water in door? Tech-Home Home Repair 7 September 19th 05 02:06 PM