Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fridge door won't close

Fridge door won't close properly. It closes but then pops open an
inch. If you give it a hard nudge sometimes it stays closed, but even
then the top corner has a gap. Any ideas? I can't replace the fridge,
it belongs to my landlord.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Oct, 16:56, 32andtwentyseven
wrote:
Fridge door won't close properly. It closes but then pops open an
inch. If you give it a hard nudge sometimes it stays closed, but even
then the top corner has a gap. Any ideas? I can't replace the fridge,
it belongs to my landlord.

Move the jelly jar to a different shelf and then push the gallon of
milk farther back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

32andtwentyseven wrote:
Fridge door won't close properly. It closes but then pops open an
inch. If you give it a hard nudge sometimes it stays closed, but even
then the top corner has a gap. Any ideas? I can't replace the fridge,
it belongs to my landlord.

You might try adjusting the "feet" of that fridge. That can sometimes
help if it's been sitting out of kilter for a while and "taken a set".

No guarantee though, someone may have jammed the door against something
and given it a gorrilla shove which has twisted it a bit.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

32andtwentyseven wrote:
Fridge door won't close properly. It closes but then pops open an
inch. If you give it a hard nudge sometimes it stays closed, but even
then the top corner has a gap. Any ideas? I can't replace the fridge,
it belongs to my landlord.

Possibly the hinges need to be adjusted. Our fridge has hinges at top
that each have two slots, allowing movement both front/backwards and
side to side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 4:56 pm, 32andtwentyseven
wrote:
Fridge door won't close properly. It closes but then pops open an
inch. If you give it a hard nudge sometimes it stays closed, but even
then the top corner has a gap. Any ideas? I can't replace the fridge,
it belongs to my landlord.

-- I can't replace the fridge, it belongs to my landlord.

In many localities, if the landlord supplies a fridge then he is
required to keep it in properly working order.

If you are paying the electric bill and/or if there is a danger of
food spoiling, then a fridge that will not close is not working
properly.

Ask the landlord to repair/replace it.

....unless there is something you aren't telling us about why the door
doesn't close...anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Fridge door won't close properly. It closes but then pops open an
inch. If you give it a hard nudge sometimes it stays closed, but even
then the top corner has a gap. Any ideas? I can't replace the fridge,
it belongs to my landlord.

Move the jelly jar to a different shelf and then push the gallon of
milk farther back.

Right. The chances are there is something in your firdge that is
pushing against the door. It can be as simple as a loose plastic bag
of peas that lets you close the door then gently pushes the door open
later. Fridge doors are secured with a magnet to avoid children being
accidently locked inside (playing in dumped fridges for example)..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:56:03 -0700, 32andtwentyseven
wrote:

Fridge door won't close properly. It closes but then pops open an
inch. If you give it a hard nudge sometimes it stays closed, but even
then the top corner has a gap. Any ideas? I can't replace the fridge,
it belongs to my landlord.

That's simple, there's too much beer inside your fridge.
Drink half of it, and the door will close again.
If it still dont close tight, wrap duct tape around the door and to
the rear of the fridge. Change or reuse the tape each time you open
it. Or maybe a bungee cord would work too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Fridge door won't close properly. It closes but then pops open an
inch. If you give it a hard nudge sometimes it stays closed, but even
then the top corner has a gap. Any ideas? I can't replace the fridge,
it belongs to my landlord.

Move the jelly jar to a different shelf and then push the gallon of
milk farther back.

Right. The chances are there is something in your firdge that is
pushing against the door. It can be as simple as a loose plastic bag
of peas that lets you close the door then gently pushes the door open
later. Fridge doors are secured with a magnet to avoid children being
accidently locked inside (playing in dumped fridges for example)..

Damn, they take away all the fun for kids.
When I was a boy, I used to play with the neighbor girls boobs inside
an old fridge in our garage. One time I gave her my weiner in there
too, and since my daddy kept condoms in there, we had fun blowing them
up like balloons. These days kids just cant have any fun anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Fridge door won't close properly. It closes but then pops open an
inch. If you give it a hard nudge sometimes it stays closed, but even
then the top corner has a gap. Any ideas? I can't replace the fridge,
it belongs to my landlord.

That's simple, there's too much beer inside your fridge.
Drink half of it, and the door will close again.
If it still dont close tight, wrap duct tape around the door and to
the rear of the fridge. Change or reuse the tape each time you open
it. Or maybe a bungee cord would work too.

Hi,

I am a retired Appliance Tech. Some good advice so far. Here is my
advice 1. Loosen the screws all around the liner that holds the door
seal in place. Then place a bunched up rag on the corner oposite to
the corner that stays open. Press in the problem corner several times.
Now check that the door closes evenly by sighting alon the seal and/or
sliding a thin stiff paper around the seal. There should be a slight
tug all the way around.

If the door now is sealing evenly, have a friend hold the door rigidly
and tighten each CORNER screw. Test it again. If now OK tighten the
remaining screws. This is explained in my Appliance repair DVD. Go to
[APPLIANCE REPAIR RIPOFFS Stopped] in YouTube to see my demo just for
fun. THE Demo does no cover this repair though. Dave the Tech

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Fridge door won't close properly. It closes but then pops open an
inch. If you give it a hard nudge sometimes it stays closed, but even
then the top corner has a gap. Any ideas? I can't replace the fridge,
it belongs to my landlord.

-- I can't replace the fridge, it belongs to my landlord.

In many localities, if the landlord supplies a fridge then he is
required to keep it in properly working order.

If you are paying the electric bill and/or if there is a danger of
food spoiling, then a fridge that will not close is not working
properly.

Ask the landlord to repair/replace it.

...unless there is something you aren't telling us about why the door
doesn't close...anymore.

Err yeah... I am storing dead body parts in my fridge.. obviously. The
"landlord" (which is a TMO) just sends the janitor. Who has the brains
of a frog. He insists there is nothing wrong with fridge because when
he closes it, it closes. Trying to argue is somewhat futile.

Don't worry about it. I've managed this long... a few more months
won't kill me.