Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT The next door neighbours have finally moved

At last.

Last night was the first time in 2 years that I have walked down my path in
peace and feeling safe.
I will get some videos of him on youtube later on in the week

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

ARWadworth wrote:
At last.

Last night was the first time in 2 years that I have walked down my path
in peace and feeling safe.
I will get some videos of him on youtube later on in the week

Adam

Bad neighbours are really bad news. I am pleased for you.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadworth
writes
At last.

Last night was the first time in 2 years that I have walked down my path in
peace and feeling safe.
I will get some videos of him on youtube later on in the week

That must be a load off.

Is this a prelude to 'FS: CCTV cameras, working but some minor damage
from thrown stones'.

I'll look forward to the vids to see what you've been putting up with.

Pass the council placement officer a big box of choccies in case they
give you another one from hell.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

At last.

I live in hope. Caught the next-door-but-one's latest hump-buddy
dumping a fridge and a washing machine (?!?) at the bottom of the
occupants' garden earlier (in an area that can only be described as
wasteland* now !)

*the council have already had to come in and clear it once before of
all their shi*e - sadly, my immediate next door neighbour does exactly
the same !

To do so, they had to move them over 40 feet across unkempt wilderness
(formerly "garden") and through where their fence should be - god only
knows what happened to the brand new fence they had put in for free 2
years ago, but there's no sign of one now...

Now throw into the mix that to drag it across the "lawn" they had to
move it past their entry, from where they could have had it picked up
and disposed of *for free* by the council with a single phone call.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , ARWadworth
writes
At last.

Last night was the first time in 2 years that I have walked down my path
in
peace and feeling safe.
I will get some videos of him on youtube later on in the week

That must be a load off.

Is this a prelude to 'FS: CCTV cameras, working but some minor damage from
thrown stones'.

I'll look forward to the vids to see what you've been putting up with.

Pass the council placement officer a big box of choccies in case they give
you another one from hell.

I am keeping the cameras. I had visitors on Friday night. A dummies head
with a slashed and red painted throat was delivered to my house.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
[...]

That`s the thing that scares me the most - why put more effort into dumping
something than it takes to get it moved properly? I had an emptying session
in my house, and what was worth giving away went on freecycle, which is a
bit of a pain because of the small number of idiots who don`t turn up, and
then get back in touch a week later trying to arrange collection (and get
upset when told it`s gone). What wasn`t worth giving away was collected by
the council after one phone call and a 2 day wait for them to be back in
this area at a time I was in the house.

Compare that to dragging a washing machine to the nearest place to dump it
(well, the nearest place I ever see anything dumped is a 3 minute drive
away) and it`s obvious which is the easy option. It`d be nice if science
ever came up with a way to implant a brain in some of these idiots!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Last night was the first time in 2 years that I have walked down my path
in
peace and feeling safe.
I will get some videos of him on youtube later on in the week

That must be a load off.

Is this a prelude to 'FS: CCTV cameras, working but some minor damage from
thrown stones'.

I'll look forward to the vids to see what you've been putting up with.

Fred

Some of the footage is subject to legal restrictions, the stuff that is not
restricted will be youtubed for all to see. The restricted stuff will be
made available to certain people. It seems that youtube allow me to make
private videos for upto 25 people to view. The restricted stuff will go
there and I will invite you to view it. I am uploading at the moment buy it
takes a long time.

Send me an email, my address is valid.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some of the footage is subject to legal restrictions, the stuff that is not
restricted will be youtubed for all to see. The restricted stuff will be
made available to certain people. It seems that youtube allow me to make
private videos for upto 25 people to view. The restricted stuff will go
there and I will invite you to view it. I am uploading at the moment buy it
takes a long time.

You can probably get the restricted ones on somewhere like freehostia
(free web hosting) :-p
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
Some of the footage is subject to legal restrictions, the stuff that is
not
restricted will be youtubed for all to see. The restricted stuff will be
made available to certain people. It seems that youtube allow me to make
private videos for upto 25 people to view. The restricted stuff will go
there and I will invite you to view it. I am uploading at the moment buy
it
takes a long time.

You can probably get the restricted ones on somewhere like freehostia
(free web hosting) :-p

I am looking into that. Thank you. It still takes ages to load anything
anywhere. These are massive Gb files on DVD. I have never tried this before.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 23:12:44 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

[...]

You're lucky if you can get this stuff disposed of for free. Our
council has a £20 charge. They don't seem to realise the people who
can't afford a car to get the stuff to the dump are the same ones who
can't afford £20 to have it collected. Then they wonder why so many
fridges and furniture is dumped in back lanes. No excuse if the
council does provide a free pick up though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk wrote:

[...]

If they can't afford a car, how do they get the stuff to the back lanes?
:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadworth"
saying something like:

I am looking into that. Thank you. It still takes ages to load anything
anywhere. These are massive Gb files on DVD. I have never tried this before.

If they are just fairly ordinary mpeg files you can convert them to
mpeg4 and put them in an avi container, saving much space and upload
time.
I use SUPER for that - quick and easy.
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadworth" wrote in message
om...

"Colin Wilson" o.uk

wrote
in message g...
[...]

Hmmm! only "flash" videos allowed on "youtube"thats a lot of conversion. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"George" writes:

Hmmm! only "flash" videos allowed on "youtube"thats a lot of conversion. ;-)

I thought they did the conversion to flash (not that I've
uploaded anything myself though).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
o.uk wrote:

[...]

I thought the same.

But my thoughts on the issue is that even though I am paying them to pick it
up, they expect me to carry it out to my "yard" before they will agree to
collect.

What they don't seem to understand is that if I have to pay the minimum 40
quid (yes I thought that was too much as well) for the man to help me do
this carrying, his van comes along for free, so I no longer need to pay the
council anything.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadworth
writes

Some of the footage is subject to legal restrictions, the stuff that is not
restricted will be youtubed for all to see. The restricted stuff will be
made available to certain people. It seems that youtube allow me to make
private videos for upto 25 people to view. The restricted stuff will go
there and I will invite you to view it. I am uploading at the moment buy it
takes a long time.

Send me an email, my address is valid.

Thanks Adam, have done.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk wrote:

[...]

Out the back gate.

And if I were in that position I would do exactly the same. A couple
of years ago I had an engine go on me. The car was still taxed and
tested but beyond economical repair. I had to pay £30 to get it taken
to a scrap yard. If it had been untaxed the council would have removed
it for free. If it hadn't been registered I would have dumped it
behind all the other abandoned cars around here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:

That`s the thing that scares me the most - why put more effort into
dumping something than it takes to get it moved properly? I had an
emptying session in my house, and what was worth giving away went on
freecycle, which is a bit of a pain because of the small number of
idiots who don`t turn up, and then get back in touch a week later trying
to arrange collection (and get upset when told it`s gone). What wasn`t
worth giving away was collected by the council after one phone call and
a 2 day wait for them to be back in this area at a time I was in the house.

Compare that to dragging a washing machine to the nearest place to dump
it (well, the nearest place I ever see anything dumped is a 3 minute
drive away) and it`s obvious which is the easy option. It`d be nice if
science ever came up with a way to implant a brain in some of these idiots!

A simpler way would be to put an implant into the appliance and register
it to the buyer, from new. He would have the option of letting the
implant system be aware of who he sold / gave it away to, or if he
didn't, he would face the fine for dumping.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Simon Finnigan wrote:

[...]

I'd favour that as being a responsible way of dealing with he life of the
thing.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:34:29 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Simon Finnigan wrote:

[...]

No wonder the government gets away with the stasification of this
country while there are people with attitudes like that.

You could make someone show their ID number every time they bought
something

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Simon Finnigan wrote:

[...]

I'd favour that as being a responsible way of dealing with the life of the
thing.

No wonder the government gets away with the stasification of this
country while there are people with attitudes like that.

What's 'stasification' ?

You could make someone show their ID number every time they bought
something

Gosh, I haven't got an ID number - have you? Where did you get it?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:12:43 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

stasification

You'd be suprised how many ID No.s people have; National Health No. (which
was used for identity cards during WWII). National Insurance No., Driving
Licence & the list goes on.

Don.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:12:43 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Gosh, I haven't got an ID number - have you? Where did you get it?

It'll be on your compulsory ID card soon.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
Simon Finnigan wrote:

[...]

That makes so much sense. I believe (but could be wrong) that in Germany
if you sell a car, your insurer is responsible for third party liability
until such time as another company takes it over.

As you can imagine there are *very few* uninsured cars on the road as
buyers simply won't sell them to someone who doesn't turn up with
appropriate insurance.

Cheers
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

What's 'stasification' ?

You could make someone show their ID number every time they bought
something

Gosh, I haven't got an ID number - have you? Where did you get it?

You lead a *very* sheltered life if you still believe that.

Not so many years ago the guv'mint decided that they were allowed to buy
spending details and transaction history from your card issuer.

I did some work for a bank for a fair while and was shocked at just how
much had to be reported back to the authorities on a routine basis.

Do you honestly believe that because you don't have a "number" it
doesn't matter?

Cheers
Someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:35:20 +0100, Alang wrote:

Now throw into the mix that to drag it across the "lawn" they had to
move it past their entry, from where they could have had it picked up
and disposed of *for free* by the council with a single phone call.

You're lucky if you can get this stuff disposed of for free. Our
council has a £20 charge.

Aye, ours charges £15 for up to three "bulky items", That does *not*
include "electric appliances, cookers, garden waste, builder's rubble or
fixtures and fittings".

It's £15 *per item* item for "all Electric Appliances like; fridges,
freezers, televisions, cookers and computer monitors".

What is really gaulling is we paid our £15 quid to have some mattress'
taken away. They went in the normal rubbish collecton truck... Next time
we'll just put the stuff out and see if it goes. I really can't see the
council and the waste contractors being clued up enough to reliably and
accurately communicate that this property has this bulky waste this other
one that etc etc.

They don't seem to realise the people who can't afford a car to get the
stuff to the dump are the same ones who can't afford £20 to have it
collected. Then they wonder why so many fridges and furniture is dumped
in back lanes.

Quite. The question was raised how does it get to the back lane if the
person hasn't a car? Well I bet they have a mate with one and a pint down
the pub will see to that...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cerberus ." wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:12:43 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

stasification

You'd be suprised how many ID No.s people have; National Health No. (which
was used for identity cards during WWII). National Insurance No., Driving
Licence & the list goes on.

They're not ID numbers though, they're specific to their purpose. Sometimes
they'll be accepted as ID but not universally.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"somebody" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

What's 'stasification' ?

You could make someone show their ID number every time they bought
something

Gosh, I haven't got an ID number - have you? Where did you get it?

You lead a *very* sheltered life if you still believe that.

Not so many years ago the guv'mint decided that they were allowed to buy
spending details and transaction history from your card issuer.

I did some work for a bank for a fair while and was shocked at just how
much had to be reported back to the authorities on a routine basis.

Do you honestly believe that because you don't have a "number" it doesn't
matter?

I know all about 'shared' personal details - not that it matters a jot to
me - but they're not the same as specific ID. If they were why would They be
proposing specific ID cards?

Mary

Cheers
Someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Cerberus ." wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:12:43 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

stasification

You'd be suprised how many ID No.s people have; National Health No.
(which
was used for identity cards during WWII). National Insurance No., Driving
Licence & the list goes on.

They're not ID numbers though,

They are unique to you and are ID numbers.

they're specific to their purpose. Sometimes they'll be accepted as ID but
not universally.

They are not proof of ID, no ID number is proof.
You need some item for proof, like an ID card.
An ID card that only you can get unlike an NHS number which anyone can
actually apply for.
You are confusing ID numbers with ID.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

I know all about 'shared' personal details - not that it matters a jot to
me - but they're not the same as specific ID. If they were why would They
be proposing specific ID cards?

Mainly because they intend to replace the other IDs with one /you/ have to
pay for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stasification

You'd be suprised how many ID No.s people have; National Health No.
(which
was used for identity cards during WWII). National Insurance No., Driving
Licence & the list goes on.

They're not ID numbers though,

They are unique to you and are ID numbers.

they're specific to their purpose. Sometimes they'll be accepted as
ID but not universally.

They are not proof of ID, no ID number is proof.
You need some item for proof, like an ID card.
An ID card that only you can get unlike an NHS number which anyone can
actually apply for.
You are confusing ID numbers with ID.

No problem - there's sure to be a blood sample on the sharp edges at the
back of the fridge.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian White" wrote in message
stasification

You'd be suprised how many ID No.s people have; National Health No.
(which
was used for identity cards during WWII). National Insurance No.,
Driving
Licence & the list goes on.

They're not ID numbers though,

They are unique to you and are ID numbers.

they're specific to their purpose. Sometimes they'll be accepted as ID
but not universally.

They are not proof of ID, no ID number is proof.
You need some item for proof, like an ID card.
An ID card that only you can get unlike an NHS number which anyone can
actually apply for.
You are confusing ID numbers with ID.

No problem - there's sure to be a blood sample on the sharp edges at the
back of the fridge.

I'm not sure I understand that. Yes I am sure - I don't understand it :-)

Just received a letter and card from the Organ Donor folk thanking me for
offering my poor old bits and pieces. With my letter was another, to someone
else in the city. Perhaps I could use her card as ID ...

:-)

Mary

--
Ian White

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Ian White" wrote in message
there's sure to be a blood sample on the sharp edges at the
back of the fridge.

I'm not sure I understand that. Yes I am sure - I don't understand it :-)

It was about dumping fridges and cookers, remember?

Try lifting... no, on second thoughts, let's all not bother :-)

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian White" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Ian White" wrote in message
there's sure to be a blood sample on the sharp edges at the
back of the fridge.

I'm not sure I understand that. Yes I am sure - I don't understand it :-)

It was about dumping fridges and cookers, remember?

Ah - yes, clever :-)

Sorry to be so dumb, I've just broken a little toe. Not on a fridge or
cooker. It hurts and it's distracting :-(

Try lifting... no, on second thoughts, let's all not bother :-)

No.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Ian White" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Ian White" wrote in message
there's sure to be a blood sample on the sharp edges at the
back of the fridge.

I'm not sure I understand that. Yes I am sure - I don't understand it :-)

It was about dumping fridges and cookers, remember?

Ah - yes, clever :-)

Sorry to be so dumb, I've just broken a little toe. Not on a fridge or
cooker. It hurts and it's distracting :-(

Try lifting... no, on second thoughts, let's all not bother :-)

No.

Right enough - foot up, keep all your blood, and get better soon.

--
Ian White

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cerberus ." wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:12:43 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

stasification

You'd be suprised how many ID No.s people have; National Health No.
(which
was used for identity cards during WWII). National Insurance No., Driving
Licence & the list goes on.

They're not ID numbers though, they're specific to their purpose.
Sometimes they'll be accepted as ID but not universally.

Is it universally accepted that to know all three of the above from memory
makes one a sad old git? I only ask...

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian White" wrote in message

... I've just broken a little toe. Not on a fridge or
cooker. It hurts and it's distracting :-(

Try lifting... no, on second thoughts, let's all not bother :-)

No.

Right enough - foot up, keep all your blood, and get better soon.

Thanks. Blood is seeping into my foot tissues judging by the ever-spreading
bruise. Doesn't hurt as much now though.

Mary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:12:43 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Simon Finnigan wrote:

[...]

The turning of the country into something closely akin to 1970s E
Germany where the Stasi spied on everybody and everybody spied on each
other. A country where you had to supply ID for almost every
transaction.

You could make someone show their ID number every time they bought
something

Gosh, I haven't got an ID number - have you? Where did you get it?

The government is going to give you one whether you want it or not.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Is it universally accepted that to know all three of the above from memory
makes one a sad old git? I only ask...

I suspect you're right. Spouse knows them all AND of course his mother's
Co-op number and his passport number and even my NH and NI numbers.

Me? I even have to have a chip'n'sig card because I can't remember any
numbers I've been given since May 1993.

Mary
even sadder old git

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alang" wrote in message

What's 'stasification' ?

The turning of the country into something closely akin to 1970s E
Germany where the Stasi spied on everybody and everybody spied on each
other. A country where you had to supply ID for almost every
transaction.

Thanks for that.

You could make someone show their ID number every time they bought
something

Gosh, I haven't got an ID number - have you? Where did you get it?

The government is going to give you one whether you want it or not.

Doesn't bother me one way or t'other. I can't see what all the fuss is
about.

Mary