Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT The next door neighbours have finally moved

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:35:20 +0100, Alang wrote:

Now throw into the mix that to drag it across the "lawn" they had to
move it past their entry, from where they could have had it picked up
and disposed of *for free* by the council with a single phone call.

You're lucky if you can get this stuff disposed of for free. Our
council has a £20 charge.

Aye, ours charges £15 for up to three "bulky items", That does *not*
include "electric appliances, cookers, garden waste, builder's rubble or
fixtures and fittings".

It's £15 *per item* item for "all Electric Appliances like; fridges,
freezers, televisions, cookers and computer monitors".

What is really gaulling is we paid our £15 quid to have some mattress'
taken away. They went in the normal rubbish collecton truck... Next time
we'll just put the stuff out and see if it goes. I really can't see the
council and the waste contractors being clued up enough to reliably and
accurately communicate that this property has this bulky waste this other
one that etc etc.

They don't seem to realise the people who can't afford a car to get the
stuff to the dump are the same ones who can't afford £20 to have it
collected. Then they wonder why so many fridges and furniture is dumped
in back lanes.

Quite. The question was raised how does it get to the back lane if the
person hasn't a car? Well I bet they have a mate with one and a pint down
the pub will see to that...

--
Cheers
Dave.