Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT The next door neighbours have finally moved

In uk.d-i-y, Bob Mannix wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Cerberus ." wrote in message

You'd be suprised how many ID No.s people have; National Health No.
(which
was used for identity cards during WWII). National Insurance No., Driving
Licence & the list goes on.

They're not ID numbers though, they're specific to their purpose.
Sometimes they'll be accepted as ID but not universally.

Is it universally accepted that to know all three of the above from memory
makes one a sad old git? I only ask...

I know my driving licence number and my NI number but only my *old* NHS
number. What does that make me?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Is it universally accepted that to know all three of the above from
memory makes one a sad old git? I only ask...

I suspect you're right. Spouse knows them all AND of course his
mother's Co-op number and his passport number and even my NH and NI
numbers.
Me? I even have to have a chip'n'sig card because I can't remember any
numbers I've been given since May 1993.

Easy. Use memory hooks. Each number is represented by an object, commonly 1
gun, 2 shoe, 3 tree, 4 door, 5 hive, 6 sticks (hockey), 7 heaven (angel), 8
gate, 9 wine but you can use what you like.

So if you want to remember 2341 it becomes shoe, tree, door, gun. You
visualise a shoe stuck up a tree which has a door in the trunk and you shoot
the door open with your gun. Make the pictures in you mind as outlandish as
possible.

Or use the journey system. Think about a journey you make often and
visualise specific places along the route e.g. postbox, crossing, shop,
railings. Then visualise a giant shoe stuck in the postbox, a tree on legs
crossing the road, the shop with a huge door & the railings have become a
row of rifles (guns).

The journey system is good for shopping lists as well, quite easy to
remember 10 - 12 items without a list.

Might sound crazy - but it works.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 15:53:10 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

In uk.d-i-y, Bob Mannix wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Cerberus ." wrote in message

You'd be suprised how many ID No.s people have; National Health No.
(which
was used for identity cards during WWII). National Insurance No., Driving
Licence & the list goes on.

They're not ID numbers though, they're specific to their purpose.
Sometimes they'll be accepted as ID but not universally.

Is it universally accepted that to know all three of the above from memory
makes one a sad old git? I only ask...

I know my driving licence number and my NI number but only my *old* NHS
number. What does that make me?

All I can remember are my NI no., & Army no., the latter was only used on
'Pay Parade' and drawing kit from the Quartemaster's store AISTR.

Don.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 15:39:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Alang" wrote in message
.. .

What's 'stasification' ?

The turning of the country into something closely akin to 1970s E
Germany where the Stasi spied on everybody and everybody spied on each
other. A country where you had to supply ID for almost every
transaction.

Thanks for that.

You could make someone show their ID number every time they bought
something

Gosh, I haven't got an ID number - have you? Where did you get it?

The government is going to give you one whether you want it or not.

Doesn't bother me one way or t'other. I can't see what all the fuss is
about.

You will when you can't shop or get petrol or use your bank because
you've mislaid your ID card
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"ARWadworth" wrote:

At last.

Last night was the first time in 2 years that I have walked down
my path in peace and feeling safe.
I will get some videos of him on youtube later on in the week

So, now that you feel safe in your own house, you're dumping
the girlfriend?

What a ****!

--
AnneJ

Reasons for dumping her are on the other post. I think the fact that I did
not retaliate proves I am not a ****.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alang" wrote in message

Gosh, I haven't got an ID number - have you? Where did you get it?

The government is going to give you one whether you want it or not.

Doesn't bother me one way or t'other. I can't see what all the fuss is
about.

You will when you can't shop or get petrol or use your bank because
you've mislaid your ID card

er - I don't think that's what the government's idea is. But the same would
apply (if I did much shopping or use the bank or even get petrol) if I only
used my credit card and 'mislaid' that.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

If you have a mind like mine, remembering the pattern of buttons that
you have to press might work.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Champ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

I find that although the content might be almost totally forgotten, I
tend to remember where and on which page things appeared. Most obvious
with newspapers - I might be able to recall 'top right of a right-hand
page' or 'back page, second column'.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Andy Champ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

I remember the PIN as a pattern of digits, but on the *card*, not on the
keyboard. For example the second digit of the card number, the fourth
digit, the fifth digit, and the first digit. My actual pattern is
different, obviously.

The pattern is the same for every card. When I get a new card I change
its PIN to match the pattern.

I decided on a pattern about 20 years ago and I've been using it ever
since. All my PINs have been different, and I've never had trouble with
any of them. The only thing I need to remember is the pattern. It's also
important to get into the habit of looking at the card to establish its
PIN *before* putting it in the machine or giving it to the merchant.
After a while it all becomes second nature, and the briefest glance at
the card will remind me of the PIN if I use it a lot, or more carful
scrutiny will allow me to work out the PIN of a card that I haven't used
for a year or two.

Obviously that system wouldn't work for everyone - all our minds are
different - but it works very well for me.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Andy Champ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

No good with a shopping list though....

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Sep 2008 09:10:16 GMT, Huge wrote:

What is really gaulling is we paid our £15 quid to have some mattress'
taken away. They went in the normal rubbish collecton truck...

The last time we had some mattresses to throw away, I propped them
against the wheelie-bin. The bin men took them ...

Quite, we were really annoyed that they went with the normal collection on
the normal collection day. With this being the case what is the point of
the £15 charge for bulky items other than to encourage fly tipping?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message

I decided on a pattern about 20 years ago and I've been using it ever
since.

Obviously that system wouldn't work for everyone - all our minds are
different - but it works very well for me.

There's no problem, the card company accepted my problem as a medical one
(which it is) and issued a chip & sig card. It puzzles some traders but it's
part of their education :-)

I'm glad it wasn't my memory for words which was destroyed and it was bliss
to regain my sense of smell - far more important than number memory.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 1, 4:42*pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

Is it universally accepted that to know all three of the above from
memory makes one a sad old git? I only ask...

I suspect you're right. Spouse knows them all AND of course his
mother's Co-op number and his passport number and even my NH and NI
numbers.
Me? I even have to have a chip'n'sig card because I can't remember any
numbers I've been given since May 1993.

Easy. Use memory hooks. *Each number is represented by an object, commonly 1
gun, 2 shoe, 3 tree, 4 door, 5 hive, 6 sticks (hockey), 7 heaven (angel), 8
gate, 9 wine but you can use what you like.

So if you want to remember 2341 it becomes shoe, tree, door, gun. You
visualise a shoe stuck up a tree which has a door in the trunk and you shoot
the door open with your gun. *

So I shoot the door open with the gun to climb up inside the trunk to
get the shoe. That's 4132. Right.

How many goes at guessing the PIN do you get before the card is
rejected?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 12:35*pm, Alang wrote:
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 23:12:44 +0100, Colin Wilson

o.uk wrote:
At last.

I live in hope. Caught the next-door-but-one's latest hump-buddy
dumping a fridge and a washing machine (?!?) at the bottom of the
occupants' garden earlier (in an area that can only be described as
wasteland* now !)

*the council have already had to come in and clear it once before of
all their shi*e - sadly, my immediate next door neighbour does exactly
the same !

To do so, they had to move them over 40 feet across unkempt wilderness
(formerly "garden") and through where their fence should be - god only
knows what happened to the brand new fence they had put in for free 2
years ago, but there's no sign of one now...

Now throw into the mix that to drag it across the "lawn" they had to
move it past their entry, from where they could have had it picked up
and disposed of *for free* by the council with a single phone call.

You're lucky if you can get this stuff disposed of for *free. Our
council has a £20 charge. They don't seem to realise the people who
can't afford a car to get the stuff to the dump are the same ones who
can't afford £20 to have it collected. Then they wonder why so many
fridges and furniture is dumped in back lanes.

Using the car they can't afford, no doubt.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 19:55:40 +0100, wrote:

On 1 Sep,
Alang wrote:

The government is going to give you one whether you want it or not.

More like they'll /sell/ you one wether you want it or not.

It will all end in tears.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk wrote:
[...]

No. It's fairly simple to drag it out the back gate and leave it in
the lane. A 15 metre drag at most for a house in the 4 wards in this
town centre. Three piece suite out there last week. Not mine. Probably
someone vacating a tenancy and cleaning out before leaving.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
[...]

Wrong. If you visualise the pictures as a story (which you have just done)
you can't get the order wrong.

Trust me!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alang" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 04:14:28 -0700 (PDT), "Man at B&Q"

You know, all this talk from people who have cars about people who can't
afford cars dumping stuff has made me wonder.

Why can't the people with transport take the big stuff belonging to those
who haven't transport to the tip? Reclamation Centre if you prefer.

It's like the protests about wheelie bins in the past. "what about all those
poor old dears who can't push their bins to the gate?"

Why don't able bodied neighbours do it for them? It's only once a week at
most. When it comes to dumping mattresses and other furniture it must be
even less frequently.

Let's have some co-operation, even friendliness.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:40:47 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Why can't the people with transport take the big stuff belonging to
those who haven't transport to the tip?

Because they are not registered waste carriers. You can carry your own
waste to the dump but not somebody elses. This is why many small jobbing
builders or gardeners leave the rubble or clippings behind. The
householder can dispose of it as it is their waste but the builder/gardner
would need to be registered with the EA as a waste carrier (£149/3 years,
£99/renewal) if they took it away. Add to that the waste is now trade
waste so they can't take to the normal public dump without a permit and
possibly another charge...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 21:42:02 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:40:47 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Why can't the people with transport take the big stuff belonging to
those who haven't transport to the tip?

Because they are not registered waste carriers. You can carry your own
waste to the dump but not somebody elses.

If you aren't doing this as a commercial venture (ie accepting payment
in cash or kind) there shouldn't be a problem.

This is why many small jobbing
builders or gardeners leave the rubble or clippings behind.

Only because it's part of their business.

Actually my only objection to doing voluntary 'chores' like this on a
regular basis is that you are eventually taken for granted and the
task becomes almost expected of you.

My LA will collect bulky items free of charge (yes, even old cars!) up
to a maximum of, ISTR, 3 collections of up to 8 items a year. Most
neighbours will arrange amongst themselves to distribute extra items
for special collection if, for example, somebody is having a big
clearout or doing major work in their house...

I remember once getting rid of an enormous photocopier which somebody
gave me and I never got it to work. I dragged it into the front
garden, almost giving myself a hernia, for the LA to collect. The guy
turned up and couldn't shift the machine... He had to call for
assistance from another LA department with a HIAB truck. The HIAB
operator used what looked like a welder's hammer to bash a hole into
the plastic case of the copier and attached the hook of his crane.
Very surprisingly the case didn't break away as he lifted the machine
on to the cleansing department's truck!

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:40:47 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Why can't the people with transport take the big stuff belonging to
those who haven't transport to the tip?

Because they are not registered waste carriers. You can carry your own
waste to the dump but not somebody elses. This is why many small
jobbing builders or gardeners leave the rubble or clippings behind.

Too true matey. I'd love to offer my clients the added benefit of taking
away the rubbish. Best I can do is place it all in rubble sacks.

The householder can dispose of it as it is their waste but the
builder/gardner would need to be registered with the EA as a waste
carrier (£149/3 years, £99/renewal) if they took it away. Add to that
the waste is now trade waste so they can't take to the normal public
dump without a permit and possibly another charge...

Another charge indeed & not cheap. Any item (and there are many) clasified
as hazardous watse & you need yet another license at yet another cost.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:40:47 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Why can't the people with transport take the big stuff belonging to
those who haven't transport to the tip?

Because they are not registered waste carriers.

And you think that's the real reason why neighbours don't offer to help
others?

I don't.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:04:37 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

Because they are not registered waste carriers. You can carry your own
waste to the dump but not somebody elses.

If you aren't doing this as a commercial venture (ie accepting payment
in cash or kind) there shouldn't be a problem.

The operative word is "shouldn't". The legislation relating to waste
transfer and disposla is a right tangled web of interelated exclusions,
inclusions, exceptions and conditions.

Was it in here that some one reported that they got at least a warning, if
not done, for not being a registered waste carrier because they had their
lunch wrappers in a van when they got stopped at a check point. The
legislation is a jobsworths wet dream.

My LA will collect bulky items free of charge (yes, even old cars!) up
to a maximum of, ISTR, 3 collections of up to 8 items a year.

Lucky you, most councils charge.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:40:47 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Why can't the people with transport take the big stuff belonging to
those who haven't transport to the tip?

Actually my only objection to doing voluntary 'chores' like this on a
regular basis is that you are eventually taken for granted and the
task becomes almost expected of you.

But how 'regularly' do people need to get rid of large items?

We've never been taken for granted by doing such things. We're the only
people in the street with a trailer and an open offer to use it for others,
we've never been asked, we've always had to make the approach. Recently
Spouse felled a neighbour's small dead plum tree and took it (apart from the
main trunk which he kept to use) and they cleared lots of very old dead
branches from the ground and took them to the tip (a mile away). The
neighbour was so grateful he came round with two carrier bags full of fruit
and veg from his garden, that embarrassed us.

Another neighbour has recently presented us with a bottle of very fine and
expensive single malt - for a very quick weld of the handle of his wife's
trowel which had great sentimental value.

Of course there will be some who would take advantage of generosity but I
think they're the exception rather than the rule. We've not known any.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:58:17 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Why can't the people with transport take the big stuff belonging to
those who haven't transport to the tip?

Because they are not registered waste carriers.

And you think that's the real reason why neighbours don't offer to help
others?

Not really. I doubt many people on the Clampham Omnibus are aware of the
legalities of waste transfer and disposal.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:40:47 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Alang" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 04:14:28 -0700 (PDT), "Man at B&Q"

You know, all this talk from people who have cars about people who can't
afford cars dumping stuff has made me wonder.

Why can't the people with transport take the big stuff belonging to those
who haven't transport to the tip? Reclamation Centre if you prefer.

It's like the protests about wheelie bins in the past. "what about all those
poor old dears who can't push their bins to the gate?"

Why don't able bodied neighbours do it for them? It's only once a week at
most. When it comes to dumping mattresses and other furniture it must be
even less frequently.

Let's have some co-operation, even friendliness.

This is the United Kingdom of 2008. We haven't done friendly since
1979. I used to have a 2L Mk3 Cortina Estate and lots of friends.
Didn't have so many friends when I sold it and bought a Lada.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alang" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:40:47 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Alang" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You mean you were judged by the car you owned???

You can do without friends like that, especially if they preferred a
Cortina.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 19:57:12 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Alang" wrote in message
[...]

They were big cars. Almost Volvo like in their capacity

You can do without friends like that, especially if they preferred a
Cortina.

The reps car of choice in the 70s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alang" wrote in message
news

This is the United Kingdom of 2008. We haven't done friendly since
1979. I used to have a 2L Mk3 Cortina Estate and lots of friends.
Didn't have so many friends when I sold it and bought a Lada.

You mean you were judged by the car you owned???

They were big cars. Almost Volvo like in their capacity

I know. But we've had - big cars in our family and it hasn't impacted on
our circle of friends.

You can do without friends like that, especially if they preferred a
Cortina.

The reps car of choice in the 70s

I know. And the scourge of the motorways. Having driven one I can understand
why - the throttle was very responsive and you needed self-control.

But being a rep. isn't a recommendation for friendship is it?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 09:53:54 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Alang" wrote in message
news

This is the United Kingdom of 2008. We haven't done friendly since
1979. I used to have a 2L Mk3 Cortina Estate and lots of friends.
Didn't have so many friends when I sold it and bought a Lada.

You mean you were judged by the car you owned???

They were big cars. Almost Volvo like in their capacity

I know. But we've had - big cars in our family and it hasn't impacted on
our circle of friends.

Your irony transplant didn't take.

You can do without friends like that, especially if they preferred a
Cortina.

The reps car of choice in the 70s

I know. And the scourge of the motorways. Having driven one I can understand
why - the throttle was very responsive and you needed self-control.

But being a rep. isn't a recommendation for friendship is it?

No but lots of people will suddenly get very friendly to owners of big
cars, vans etc. when they want a favour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alang" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 09:53:54 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Alang" wrote in message
news

[...]

You mean they're not friendly when you don't?