Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT The next door neighbours have finally moved

Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Andy Champ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Easy. Use memory hooks. Each number is represented by an object,
commonly 1 gun, 2 shoe, 3 tree, 4 door, 5 hive, 6 sticks (hockey),
7 heaven (angel), 8 gate, 9 wine but you can use what you like.
So if you want to remember 2341 it becomes shoe, tree, door, gun.
You visualise a shoe stuck up a tree which has a door in the trunk
and you shoot the door open with your gun. Make the pictures in
you mind as outlandish as possible.
Or use the journey system. Think about a journey you make often
and visualise specific places along the route e.g. postbox,
crossing, shop, railings. Then visualise a giant shoe stuck in
the postbox, a tree on legs crossing the road, the shop with a
huge door & the railings have become a row of rifles (guns).
The journey system is good for shopping lists as well, quite easy
to remember 10 - 12 items without a list.
Might sound crazy - but it works.

If you have a mind like mine, remembering the pattern of buttons that
you have to press might work.

I remember the PIN as a pattern of digits, but on the *card*, not on
the keyboard. For example the second digit of the card number, the
fourth digit, the fifth digit, and the first digit. My actual pattern
is different, obviously.

The pattern is the same for every card. When I get a new card I change
its PIN to match the pattern.

I decided on a pattern about 20 years ago and I've been using it ever
since. All my PINs have been different, and I've never had trouble
with any of them. The only thing I need to remember is the pattern.
It's also important to get into the habit of looking at the card to
establish its PIN *before* putting it in the machine or giving it to
the merchant. After a while it all becomes second nature, and the
briefest glance at the card will remind me of the PIN if I use it a
lot, or more carful scrutiny will allow me to work out the PIN of a
card that I haven't used for a year or two.

Obviously that system wouldn't work for everyone - all our minds are
different - but it works very well for me.

No good with a shopping list though....

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman