Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cold taps suddenly lose pressure, but tank in loft is full...

This morning, whilst my daughter was showering, the cold seemed to
lose power, and effect the amopunt of water coming through the rose. I
checked the other cold taps in the room, and the water was at a much
lower pressure than usual.
They are fed from the cold water tank in the loft, which is full of
water.
I imagine that the pipe from this tank is maybe partly blocked by
something solid from this tank - maybe cacium based?
Any ideas on how I might solve this problem?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mikeyboy wrote:
This morning, whilst my daughter was showering, the cold seemed to
lose power, and effect the amopunt of water coming through the rose. I
checked the other cold taps in the room, and the water was at a much
lower pressure than usual.
They are fed from the cold water tank in the loft, which is full of
water.
I imagine that the pipe from this tank is maybe partly blocked by
something solid from this tank - maybe cacium based?

Possibly rotting bird based actually.

Any ideas on how I might solve this problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 7 Aug, 10:13, Mikeyboy wrote:
This morning, whilst my daughter was showering, the cold seemed to
lose power, and effect the amopunt of water coming through the rose. I
checked the other cold taps in the room, and the water was at a much
lower pressure than usual.
They are fed from the cold water tank in the loft, which is full of
water.
I imagine that the pipe from this tank is maybe partly blocked by
something solid from this tank - maybe cacium based?
Any ideas on how I might solve this problem?

shower and cold taps in room not actually fed from said tank, but from
mains which is reduced pressure as is dug up down road due to a leak?

the setup you describe would enable a night-time glass of water to be
somewhat "unfresh" having been stored in roof for ? days...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

shower and cold taps in room not actually fed from said tank, but from
mains which is reduced pressure as is dug up down road due to a leak?

the setup you describe would enable a night-time glass of water to be
somewhat "unfresh" having been *stored in roof for ? days...

No those taps/shower are definitely fed from the tank in the loft. No
birds either as the tank is fully covered!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 7 Aug, 11:54, Mikeyboy wrote:
shower and cold taps in room not actually fed from said tank, but from
mains which is reduced pressure as is dug up down road due to a leak?

the setup you describe would enable a night-time glass of water to be
somewhat "unfresh" having been stored in roof for ? days...

No those taps/shower are definitely fed from the tank in the loft. No
birds either as the tank is fully covered!

what's the tank made of?
do you have hard water?
jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mikeyboy wrote:
This morning, whilst my daughter was showering, the cold seemed to
lose power, and effect the amopunt of water coming through the rose. I
checked the other cold taps in the room, and the water was at a much
lower pressure than usual.
They are fed from the cold water tank in the loft, which is full of
water.
I imagine that the pipe from this tank is maybe partly blocked by
something solid from this tank - maybe cacium based?
Any ideas on how I might solve this problem?

If it's a blockage then try the same way as you'd fix an airlock - garden
hose connected to mains pressure one end and other end held tight against
open cold bath tap. Might be worth part-emptying the loft tank first or
checking the overflow can cope.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in my house the kitchen tap and a few others
come direct from the water mains,
others come from a big water tank,
and the hot water comes from a third tank.

i suggest jim experiments with various stop taps,
perhaps wiring a float up and off,
to find where the shower water comes from...

--

[george]

~ [g] ~

~ ~
xxxxxxxxx

shower and cold taps in room not actually fed from said tank, but from
mains which is reduced pressure as is dug up down road due to a leak?

the setup you describe would enable a night-time glass of water to be
somewhat "unfresh" having been stored in roof for ? days...

xxxxxxxxxxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Aug, 16:28, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
in my house the kitchen tap and a few others
come direct from the water mains,
others come from a big water tank,
and the hot water comes from a third tank.

i suggest jim experiments with various stop taps,
perhaps wiring a float up and off,
to find where the shower water comes from...

1 Thanks George, but I know where the shower water comes from, it was
only fitted last year! It is fed from the loft tank- as I have already
said.
2 Jim, the tank is made of galvanised metal. We live in London - hard
water.
3 Thanks, Reentrant, that would be quite difficult, but if its the
only answer, I'll just have to bite the bullet!
Any more thoughts out there??
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
in my house the kitchen tap and a few others
come direct from the water mains,
others come from a big water tank,
and the hot water comes from a third tank.

i suggest jim experiments with various stop taps,
perhaps wiring a float up and off,
to find where the shower water comes from...

1 Thanks George, but I know where the shower water comes from, it was
only fitted last year! It is fed from the loft tank- as I have already
said.

Modern shower mixer frequently have screen filters in them.
You need to check them if the flow is poor.

On the Mira I fitted you take off the front and unscrew the filter elements
using the tool supplied.
YMMV.