Niel A. Farrow

Default suppourting cold tank in loft?

I'm moving the 50 G cold tank from the kitchen to the loft. I want to place
it on platform suppourted by two high (head height) purlins (approx
17"x10") against the end gable wall (house is end terrace).

I have bought some 47mm x 147 mm joists which can support a dead load of
127 kg and an imposed load of 153 kg across the span of 2.7 m, with joists
at 400 mm centres. Total 280

Weight of water in tank is (if all of the tank is full with 50G?) 246 kg

I'll put 3 joists at 300 mm centres.

Does this seem ok?

Will I overload the purlins?

Alternatively;
Should I attach a joist to the gable wall, a joist between the purlins and
then joists between these - so that half the weight is taken by the wall?

If the alternative is recommended, how do I attach the joist to the
brick wall - Screwfix fixings are on page s 26-28.

Thank you,

Neil
BigWallop

"Niel A. Farrow" wrote in message
[...]

You could spread the load between the loft joists and the purlins using legs
along the length of the new joists. At a length of 2.7 mtrs you'd only need
two evenly spaced. I honestly wouldn't rely on the just the purlins alone,
and fixing anything to the gable is a far bigger job than is needed to take
this type of dead weight load.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com