Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lose taps with plastic nuts!

Has anyone yet found a solution to this? I recently fitted both bath
and basin taps from homebase, the Arena style ones if anyone is
interested.

They both come with plastic washers and nuts, presumably to stop from
overtightening and cracking the ceramic. But the basin ones will not
tighten enough to stop them from rotating with the slightest force. I
fear if I tighten the nut any further it will crack. This has already
happened with one and I had to source a replacement nut.

I did think of using sealant around the base of the taps (although it
doesn't appear necessary as there is a sealing ring in the base). But
I'm sure sealant is not going to offer any additional strength. I have
removed the washers from the underside of the sink where the nut
attaches and gained a little more leverage, but still not enough

Please tell me there is a straight forward solution....Bear with soar
head

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 03:10:23 -0800, nonymouse wrote:

[...]

================================
Have you still got the old taps and their (brass) nuts? If so, try one for
size using a plastic washer to protect the ceramic.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nonymouse" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

This usually happens because of the length of thread, ie, the nut reaches
the end of the thread before the tap is tight against the sink. Use "top
hat" washers under the sink - see step No.7 at this link
http://tinyurl.com/vxa43 (link goes to a Focus DIY "How to").

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nonymouse wrote:
[...]

We had this, but our taps were connected with flexible braided tap
connectors - solution: replaced the flex with proper copper pipe right
through
Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nonymouse wrote:

I did think of using sealant around the base of the taps (although it
doesn't appear necessary as there is a sealing ring in the base). But
I'm sure sealant is not going to offer any additional strength.

You may find this is sufficient - I did.

As mentioned elsewhere, fixed copper piping to the taps will definitely
cure it.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "nonymouse"
saying something like:

Please tell me there is a straight forward solution....Bear with soar
head

Decent quality plastic nuts will tighten a surprising amount, but a lot
of them aren't all that good. You can source brass backnuts from a
plumbing suppliers or fit the plastic ones with a liberal application of
silicone mastic (so that it fills the gap between tap and bath) and
allow to cure before using them.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nonymouse" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I may have imagined this but I think I've seen replacement nuts in a
plumbers merchant - claim to be a new design that addresses "spinning" taps
and also keeps them centered in the hole. Some Homebase taps are supplied
by Jacuzzi - do you have instructions with a Bradford (01274) number if so
its Jacuzzi and it would be worth ringing them.

PeterK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I no longer have the old taps or their nuts. I'm a little concerned
about trying any kind of metal nut incase I crack the ceramic.

Thanks Jon for the http://tinyurl.com/vxa43 link; I've checked this out
and it looks worth a try, although I can't understand how it would
work!

We had this, but our taps were connected with flexible braided tap
connectors - solution: replaced the flex with proper copper pipe right
through

Sounds like the best idea yet. A friend of mine (qualified plumber)
fitted the bathroom for me and used flexible braided connectors - may
ask him to replace these with proper copper pipe.

I may have imagined this but I think I've seen replacement nuts in a
plumbers merchant - claim to be a new design that addresses "spinning" taps
and also keeps them centered in the hole. Some Homebase taps are supplied
by Jacuzzi - do you have instructions with a Bradford (01274) number if so
its Jacuzzi and it would be worth ringing them.

PeterK

Cheers Peter, but I no longer have the instructions so am unable to
check. However, I will have a search on the Internet using the term
"spinning taps" and see what turns up

Thanks to all for the advice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nonymouse wrote:

They both come with plastic washers and nuts, presumably to stop from
overtightening and cracking the ceramic. But the basin ones will not
tighten enough to stop them from rotating with the slightest force. I
fear if I tighten the nut any further it will crack. This has already
happened with one and I had to source a replacement nut.

I did think of using sealant around the base of the taps (although it
doesn't appear necessary as there is a sealing ring in the base). But
I'm sure sealant is not going to offer any additional strength. I have
removed the washers from the underside of the sink where the nut
attaches and gained a little more leverage, but still not enough

I come across the spinning tap problem quite often. Push fit plumbing or
flexibles are always present. Solid copper pipes don't allow the taps to
move.

Tap holding technology hasn't kept up with pipe technology!

Liberal application of exterior type gripfill or even silicone usually
works.

I assume you have a decent back nut spanner/tool?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I come across the spinning tap problem quite often. Push fit plumbing or
flexibles are always present. Solid copper pipes don't allow the taps to
move.

Liberal application of exterior type gripfill or even silicone usually
works.

I assume you have a decent back nut spanner/tool?

Sorry Dave, don't have such a spanner; I employed a plumber to do the
work for me. I'm kinda hoping he will return and ditch the flexible
hosing in favour of copper; although this is now slightly annoying as
the bath panel (those taps are also of the same type and not that tight
either) is fixed and sealed in place.

Where does the gripfill go? On the outside around the base of the tap?
And if I go looking for it in homebase, is it actually called gripfill?
Replacing the flexible pipes with copper still sounds like the more
sensible option

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nonymouse" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Link to "Fix a Tap" is http://www.essexflanges.com/fix-a-tap.html
but I don't think this was the product I saw but it meets your needs

PeterK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Link to "Fix a Tap" is http://www.essexflanges.com/fix-a-tap.html
but I don't think this was the product I saw but it meets your needs

PeterK

Cheers - will take a look

Posted to uk.d-i-y

For stainless steel sinks only apparently! Mine is ceramic. Thanks
anyway

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nonymouse" wrote in message
oups.com...
For stainless steel sinks only apparently! Mine is ceramic. Thanks
anyway

Are the users a bit heavy handed with taps because the washers need
replacing? Some people are have the dastardly habit of screwing them down
harder than needed. I know when we have had visitors by the fact the taps in
the downstairs bog are too tight and the H & C logos are no longer correctly
oriented.
God - what a sad life I lead.