Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The decking treatment of choice?

I did the girlfriends decking in March with Cuprinol decking treatment.
I didnt think much of it at the time, as it was so watery.
Anyway, 4 months later, it is peeling all over the place, so needs doing
again.
Despite having a half full tin of Cuprinol, I won't be risking it again,
so need a recommendation for a decking paint, preferably a dark colour,
that will last for the next 20 years. (well, i can but hope!)
Ta
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I did the girlfriends decking in March with Cuprinol decking treatment.
I didnt think much of it at the time, as it was so watery.
Anyway, 4 months later, it is peeling all over the place, so needs doing
again.
Despite having a half full tin of Cuprinol, I won't be risking it again,
so need a recommendation for a decking paint, preferably a dark colour,
that will last for the next 20 years. (well, i can but hope!)

A damn fine soaking in some original Creosote I reckon...

;-))

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message
I did the girlfriends decking in March with Cuprinol decking treatment.
I didnt think much of it at the time, as it was so watery.
Anyway, 4 months later, it is peeling all over the place, so needs doing
again.
Despite having a half full tin of Cuprinol, I won't be risking it again,
so need a recommendation for a decking paint, preferably a dark colour,
that will last for the next 20 years. (well, i can but hope!)

A damn fine soaking in some original Creosote I reckon...

cooking oil, and a match?
;-))

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 20, 6:04*pm, (A.Lee) wrote:
I did the girlfriends decking in March with Cuprinol decking treatment.
I didnt think much of it at the time, as it was so watery.

What was 'so watery' here? The decking, stain, girlfriend or yourself?

Anyway, 4 months later, it is peeling all over the place,

What is 'peeling' here? The decking, stain, girlfriend or yourself?

so needs doing again.

What 'needs doing again' here? The decking, stain, girlfriend or
yourself?

Despite having a half full tin of Cuprinol,

HALF TIN left? You tight git!

I won't be risking it again,

The decking suffers in the mean time?

so need a recommendation for a decking paint, preferably a dark colour,
that will last for the next 20 years. (well, i can but hope!)

Your first chosen would be fine however you are as tight as a ducks
arse!!

Alan.

Alan girlfriend not happy bunny?

Good!
bRAINS

http://www.justservices.com/open/i/diy.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bRAINS" wrote in message
On Jul 20, 6:04 pm, (A.Lee) wrote:
[...]

Genuine LOL!!

I bet it was a 1 litre tin too

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jul, 18:04, (A.Lee) wrote:
I did the girlfriends decking in March with Cuprinol decking treatment.
I didnt think much of it at the time, as it was so watery.
Anyway, 4 months later, it is peeling all over the place, so needs doing
again.
Despite having a half full tin of Cuprinol, I won't be risking it again,
so need a recommendation for a decking paint, preferably a dark colour,
that will last for the next 20 years. (well, i can but hope!)
Ta
Alan.

Dear Lee
Nothing short of CCA treatment (which is now withdrawn) will last 20
years. No surface applicant will last that long
You have to differentiate between "treatment" ie application of a
fungicide/(?insecticide) INTO the timber to protect it from
biodeteriortion
and
a surface application for good looks and some protection against rain
and UV

I would use a low build water repellant preservative stain such as
Saddolins or Sikkens (AKZO) but expect to put in on every couple of
years
or
a simple stain perhaps with a wax or similar water repellant
Given that the decking is likely to have been treated ( check) that is
all that would be needed for visual effect.

If you tell me what exactly it was that you bought I can advise. I
need to know the species of timber, its trade name if a proprietry
decking, its location wrt the ground and ventilation etc etc perhpas
even a photo? in order sensibly to answer the question

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 20 Jul, 18:04, (A.Lee) wrote:
I did the girlfriends decking in March with Cuprinol decking treatment.

I would use a low build water repellant preservative stain such as
Saddolins or Sikkens (AKZO) but expect to put in on every couple of
years
or
a simple stain perhaps with a wax or similar water repellant
Given that the decking is likely to have been treated ( check) that is
all that would be needed for visual effect.

If you tell me what exactly it was that you bought I can advise. I
need to know the species of timber, its trade name if a proprietry
decking, its location wrt the ground and ventilation etc etc perhpas
even a photo? in order sensibly to answer the question

Just basic decking boards, probably 4 years old. I sanded down to get it
smooth.
Painted then with this :
http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/total_decking_overview.html

Or something very similar. It was £25 anyway, so not the cheapest stuff
available.
It got 2 coats over 2 days.
3 months later, it started to peel off.
I'd presume the wood was too damp for it to be used, though i certainly
wouldnt have painted it if the wood was wet, though maybe the surface
was dry, and under was damp?
I've still got half a tin of that stuff, but have lost confidence in it,
so would like a recommendation for something that works.
The 20 years was a joke, I do realise it should need doing once a year
or so.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sikkens HLS

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/SIKHLS/

Don't worry about it being watery, it's very penetrating and that's
what give the protection.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
I did the girlfriends decking in March with Cuprinol decking
treatment. I didnt think much of it at the time, as it was so watery.
Anyway, 4 months later, it is peeling all over the place, so needs
doing again.
Despite having a half full tin of Cuprinol, I won't be risking it
again, so need a recommendation for a decking paint, preferably a
dark colour, that will last for the next 20 years. (well, i can but
hope!)

I've always prefered decking oil because it soaks in rather than forming a
surface coating. Too late now though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 21, 4:41*pm, (A.Lee) wrote:
Just basic decking boards, probably 4 years old. I sanded down to get it
smooth.
Painted then with this :
http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/total_decking_overview.html

Or something very similar. It was £25 anyway, so not the cheapest stuff
available.
It got 2 coats over 2 days.
3 months later, it started to peel off.
I'd presume the wood was too damp for it to be used, though i certainly
wouldnt have painted it if the wood was wet, though maybe the surface
was dry, and under was damp?

Maybe the deck boards were pressure treated with a wax based
preservative, which a water based coating wouldn't stick to very well.
Sanding the boards may have exposed fresh wax too.

For a strong dark colour I'd use Sikkens Cetol or Hicksons Restol, I'd
also try stripping any wax/oil from the surface with a strong solution
of 'oxygen bleach' followed by lots of rinsing.

Alternatively a decking oil should be more compatible with any wax
based treatment already in the wood.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jul, 20:38, Pete C wrote:
On Jul 21, 4:41*pm, (A.Lee) wrote:

[...]

Please define "basic" decking boards - obtain data from supplier as to
what treatment (if any)
pressure
os
aquavac

what species?
etc

Otherwise I cannot help you
Chris G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thinking about it, try sanding one of the decking boards down to fresh
wood and sprinkle some drops of water on it.

If the water 'beads up' without soaking in, it's likely to be wax
pressure treated, otherwise it's likely to be a non wax treatment.

cheers,
Pete.

Choice of decking screws Ex-tiscali UK diy 4 August 23rd 07 09:37 PM
Decking oil or Decking stain+presertive Mike P UK diy 12 July 4th 07 01:59 PM
Decking Dave UK diy 3 June 9th 07 12:57 PM
Decking [email protected] UK diy 8 May 9th 07 12:19 AM
Decking LetterBee UK diy 6 April 2nd 05 02:59 PM