Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decking

ust finished the decking, tanalised timber. What is the best way of
sealing it? Son has fitted his 2 weeks ago and it has all mellowed
ito a nice pine sort of colour . All timber came from same supplier
so mine should change colour in the same way. Not bothered about
staining mine, just sealing and weatherproofing it. Bit confused over
the range of Deck Oil, Deck Treatment, Deck Seal. From Cuprinol,
Ronseal, B&Q own range [fwiw B&Q stuff had the same batch coding as
the Ronseal product and at £10 less for 2.5l ,Is it all made at the
same place? or could the B&Q Stuff be watered down?...ust wondering]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 7, 4:43 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
ust finished the decking, tanalised timber. What is the best way of
sealing it? Son has fitted his 2 weeks ago and it has all mellowed
ito a nice pine sort of colour . All timber came from same supplier
so mine should change colour in the same way. Not bothered about
staining mine, just sealing and weatherproofing it. Bit confused over
the range of Deck Oil, Deck Treatment, Deck Seal. From Cuprinol,
Ronseal, B&Q own range [fwiw B&Q stuff had the same batch coding as
the Ronseal product and at £10 less for 2.5l ,Is it all made at the
same place? or could the B&Q Stuff be watered down?...ust wondering]

Don't do anything for a week or so. The colour will even out & mellow and
the green residue from the tanalising will go away.

I prefer decking oil myself. Last one I used was B&Q which seemed fine, and
as you say much cheaper.

Oh - here are a few j's for you. JJJJJ jjjjj.

HTH

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Thanks for the j's!!!! I have jjjjjust fiited them Oh, and ta for
the info about the oil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the j's!!!! I have jjjjjust fiited them Oh, and ta for
the info about the oil

My key's totally ucked !!!

woodglass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 7, 1:52 pm, wrote:
ust finished the decking, tanalised timber. What is the best way of
sealing it? Son has fitted his 2 weeks ago and it has all mellowed
ito a nice pine sort of colour . All timber came from same supplier
so mine should change colour in the same way. Not bothered about
staining mine, just sealing and weatherproofing it. Bit confused over
the range of Deck Oil, Deck Treatment, Deck Seal. From Cuprinol,
Ronseal, B&Q own range [fwiw B&Q stuff had the same batch coding as
the Ronseal product and at £10 less for 2.5l ,Is it all made at the
same place? or could the B&Q Stuff be watered down?...ust wondering]

Hi,

How do you want it to look after 5 years?

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How do you want it to look after 5 years?

cheers,
Pete.

I'd ideally like it to look as good as it does now. Obviously I will
have to give it a new coat every year or so. Do you not think that
the B&Q stuff is up to it? Is there something else that is
better? As I said originally I do not wish to stain it, merely to
protect it from the elements. Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 8, 9:37 pm, wrote:
How do you want it to look after 5 years?

cheers,
Pete.

I'd ideally like it to look as good as it does now. Obviously I will
have to give it a new coat every year or so. Do you not think that
the B&Q stuff is up to it? Is there something else that is
better? As I said originally I do not wish to stain it, merely to
protect it from the elements. Thanks

Hi,

I've used 2 coats of 'Sikkens Cetol HLS' on my decking, it's still
fine after a couple of years.

They do a 'pine' shade which should give the least colour change, I
used 'teak' which looks reasonably good. It's a little glossy when
applied to smooth timber but weathers to a matt finish.

I doubt that B&Q do it, a good timber merchant might. I bought mine
from 'Decorating Direct' on the web, though shipping is extra for
small orders their prices are fairly good which helps make up for it.

After a wet winter and long dry sunny spell I've recently noticed a
small amount of 'surface splitting' where the top of the wood dries
out faster than the wood underneath. I might try to minimise this by
using some cheap stain or varnish on the *back* of the decking planks
to help stop them absorbing so much water over the winter.

cheers,
Pete.

Decking options [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 13th 05 12:56 AM
Decking LetterBee UK diy 6 April 2nd 05 02:59 PM
pulling up decking Dundonald UK diy 21 March 7th 05 09:48 AM
Use 7/8" boards for decking? mcgyver Woodworking 5 March 7th 05 12:47 AM
Cheap decking at B&Q...not Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 3 January 18th 05 06:21 PM