mcgyver

Default Use 7/8" boards for decking?

So what do you guys thing about using 7/8" cypress boards for my deck. I've
come across some 1" (incredibly cheap) and by the time I plane it down....
7/8". 12" joists or 16" center to center? Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

"mcgyver" wrote in message
newsysWd.579957$8l.432057@pd7tw1no...
So what do you guys thing about using 7/8" cypress boards for my deck.
I've
come across some 1" (incredibly cheap) and by the time I plane it down....
7/8". 12" joists or 16" center to center? Thanks

It will make a very good deck. It will make some nice outdoor furniture and
grill cart also.

jo4hn

mcgyver wrote:
So what do you guys thing about using 7/8" cypress boards for my deck. I've
come across some 1" (incredibly cheap) and by the time I plane it down....
7/8". 12" joists or 16" center to center? Thanks

The 7/8 will work quite well as long as there is enough of future gloat
stuff to finish the job. As to the joist spacing, it depends upon your
local building codes. My house had to be designed to withstand an 8.0
earthquake with a 4' snow load. I have tubatens on 12" centers with
tubasix redwood decking. I thought, at the time, that it had to be an
incredible over design, but looking at the weight of three feet of wet
snow with more very wet snow coming down this morning, maybe it was OK.
mahalo,
jo4hn
mcgyver

Thanks for the advise, as for the gloat...I picked up a palate of 1x6 yellow
cedar 16' long maesuring 3' wide x 3' high i figure about 1400 sqft for
$350 CAD!!!!! More than enough to build anything I want. ;-)

"jo4hn" wrote in message
ink.net...
mcgyver wrote:
So what do you guys thing about using 7/8" cypress boards for my deck.

I've
come across some 1" (incredibly cheap) and by the time I plane it

down....
7/8". 12" joists or 16" center to center? Thanks

The 7/8 will work quite well as long as there is enough of future gloat
stuff to finish the job. As to the joist spacing, it depends upon your
local building codes. My house had to be designed to withstand an 8.0
earthquake with a 4' snow load. I have tubatens on 12" centers with
tubasix redwood decking. I thought, at the time, that it had to be an
incredible over design, but looking at the weight of three feet of wet
snow with more very wet snow coming down this morning, maybe it was OK.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Ken

Do you mean yellow cedar from the northwest. I could sure use a
couple of those 16' ers to make accent strips for a cedar strip canoe
I want to build. Nice score, sucks bigtime

Ken...... on the east coast

mcgyver

Sorry Ken, yep yellow cedar from BC.....
"Ken" wrote in message
Do you mean yellow cedar from the northwest. I could sure use a
couple of those 16' ers to make accent strips for a cedar strip canoe
I want to build. Nice score, sucks bigtime

Ken...... on the east coast

Easy way to cover old skirting boards with new ones? Mark Home Repair 1 February 28th 05 12:37 PM
Wooden Floors andrewpreece UK diy 6 November 17th 04 11:03 PM
hand planing a panel flat Dimit94844 Woodworking 5 November 2nd 04 12:47 AM
Eon Decking Problems repp Home Repair 3 July 9th 04 04:54 AM
Looking for long HICKORY flooring boards (6'-8') Shawn Home Repair 0 April 20th 04 12:45 AM