Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decking oil or Decking stain+presertive

Hi

Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P wrote:
Hi

Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?

Personal preference is oil. Feeds the wood, looks natural, easy to apply &
recoat.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike P" mike@askme wrote in message
Hi

Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?

My preference for what to do with decking would require a chain saw
and digger...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:17:51 +0100, :Jerry: wrote:

"Mike P" mike@askme wrote in message
Hi

Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........ Which
is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?

My preference for what to do with decking would require a chain saw and
digger...

==================================
What a waste! Don't you enjoy a good bonfire?

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Mike P wrote:
Hi

Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?

Personal preference is oil. Feeds the wood

Funny how something that's stone dead can need feeding. I think I'll dig
the cat up and give him some Whiskas.

, looks natural, easy to apply &
recoat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-03 10:39:20 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Mike P wrote:
Hi

Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?

Personal preference is oil. Feeds the wood

Funny how something that's stone dead can need feeding. I think I'll
dig the cat up and give him some Whiskas.

I wouldn't. It was probably that that killed him in the first place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-03 10:39:20 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Mike P wrote:
Hi

Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?

Personal preference is oil. Feeds the wood

Funny how something that's stone dead can need feeding. I think I'll
dig the cat up and give him some Whiskas.

I wouldn't. It was probably that that killed him in the first place.

I decided to dig him up anyway, and he doesn't look too bad

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:20:42 +0100, Mike P mike@askme wrote:

... Hi
... Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
... Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?
... Mike P

One sensible answer .............. my ........... how this group has
changed :-)

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:20:42 +0100, Mike P mike@askme wrote:

.. Hi
..
.. Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
.. Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?
..
.. Mike P

One sensible answer .............. my ........... how this group has
changed :-)

Mike P

I think the grey colour is about as good as it gets. Oil just makes it
look like it's wet i.e. dark grey, and the stuff you see the fat blokes
spraying in the tv advert needs doing every year to keep it looking like
Legoland.
Oxalic acid is the basis of most of the bleaching products, but it
didn't work for me, so I'm sticking with the driftwood look.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 3, 8:20 am, Mike P mike@askme wrote:
Hi

Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?

Mike P

AFAIK stain ought not be applied to weathered wood, so oil will be
easier.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 3, 7:20 pm, Mike P mike@askme wrote:
Hi

Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?

I've just used a water blaster to remove all the grey, and oiled it.
Looks just like new.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
On Jul 3, 7:20 pm, Mike P mike@askme wrote:
Hi

Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?

I've just used a water blaster to remove all the grey, and oiled it.
Looks just like new.

Interesting. Suggests that the colour may not go very deep. If it's
resin degraded by UV, it's possible you may not have to do it again, or
at least not very often
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 4, 11:42 pm, Stuart Noble
wrote:
Matty F wrote:
On Jul 3, 7:20 pm, Mike P mike@askme wrote:
Hi

Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........
Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?

I've just used a water blaster to remove all the grey, and oiled it.
Looks just like new.

Interesting. Suggests that the colour may not go very deep. If it's
resin degraded by UV, it's possible you may not have to do it again, or
at least not very often

I have hardwood decking and outdoor furniture, something like Kwila,
and after 15 years it has gone grey. I used Wattyl Forestwood deck oil
which has a brown/red colour.

Decking Dave UK diy 3 June 9th 07 12:57 PM
Decking [email protected] UK diy 8 May 9th 07 12:19 AM
Ipe Decking - Are these clips ok? russ Woodworking 6 July 7th 06 05:46 PM
Which Decking Stain ? andy UK diy 1 May 2nd 06 06:31 PM
Decking LetterBee UK diy 6 April 2nd 05 02:59 PM